• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cut Nate Burleson

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First off, I apologize for the way this post will come out. Posting from my iPhone doesn't allow me to have paragraph breaks. Im sick of all the draft threads so i wanna discuss something else. So meow and I were discussing this earlier. Should we cut Burleson? Besides the money we could save, let's look at it from a leadership perspective. One of the big reasons he was signed was for his veteran leadership. I don't know what he's shown to our receivers skill-wise, but it doesn't seem like he's shown much to our younger players on how they should handle themselves. How many arrests for drugs, dui's, guns, etc have we had recently? Shouldnt Burleson have taken them aside and done more? Could he have done more? I watched all those mic'd up clips of the Lions and he's always shown in the huddle before games pumping guys up and giving pregame speeches. Do those even work? Do guys even listen to him? This whole Ronnell Lewis issue got me thinking about this. Now j don't think his issue is as big as some are making it out to be. He's had no prior issues and in no way is this a reflection of Mayhew. That's just asinine. But I do have to wonder how much help Burleson and the other veterans brought here, like KVB, actually are/were.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think we can afford to cut him he is are only proven number 2 wr plus just because you tell someone not to do something doesn't mean they are going to listen. I mean common how many of us listened to are parents when the told us not to do something as kids just because you take a horse to water you cant make him drink

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crazy Talk

So the reasoning that I'm coming up with after reading that is that we should cut Burleson because of the others on the team who have been arrested?

By that logic shouldn't we fire Schwartz way before cutting a veteran WR?

As per the $$, Nate has already re-structured, so I'd rather have a dependable possession WR at his lowered cap price than cut him just to cut him.

I'm not seeing the upside to this one, I guess. We have Broyles coming off a knee surgery, so we'll need Nate all the more early in the season. He's a valuable role player, and I don't think we're in a position to be cutting talent right now...

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is a big locker room presence, and the Lions can use the chemistry and leadership he provides. Also, unless the Lions call Austin's name in the first, who are we replacing him with. I am not a huge Burleson fan or anything like that, but we have no better option, and cutting him would hurt the team in more than one way.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is he? Is he really a big locker room presence? Again, this was just a conv meow and I were having. Wanted to get some thoughts. Obviously people are against it. Duly noted. Yikes.

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He seems to be. Other players reference him as such, and he seems like an unofficial spokesmen for the players.

shoktart

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I'm confused by your reason for wanting to cut Burleson.

If the ability to sign someone like Freeney was contingent upon cutting Burleson then okay. Do it. I think he's expendable if it means being able to add someone that can really help the team.

But if the reason is simply to punish him for the mistakes of others I disagree with that logic. Like every other WR not named Calvin Johnson that has played for the Lions over the past 10 years, Burleson has underwhelmed. But he's still better than any other #2 WR currently on the roster. Broyles is not dependable enough to count on as a starter.

I'm not a fan of Burleson. But I'm also not a fan of cutting him without getting anything in return.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. Like previous posters mentioned. He is our only legitimate number 2. Not sure Durham is ready to fill that spot yet.

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In this scenario who are you replacing Burleson with? Are you spending that money on another veteran wide out or are you losing a leader AND replacing him with "potential"? I get the leadership question. He takes it upon himself to try to lead the team and he was one of the guys that led the Lions to 4-12. How good is his leadership if these are the results? But IMO that's irrelevant. I couldn't tell you how many articles I've read with a player saying Nate took them aside and told them this or that. At least the guy is stepping and trying to lead. Gotta respect that!!

Coach_Ed_LPW

Coach of the Year
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way should we cut Nate...and I'm not a Nate fan at all. The reason...we are not deep at wr at all. We throw the ball more than any team...we need to keep the cupboard full. Last year we lost Broyles, Titus, and Nate...and lost 10 close games.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't Meow want us to cut everyone? Cutting Burleson would annoy me more than I'm already annoyed with this team. Huge fan of 4 yard reverses.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First off I agree micro that Burleson should be cut. Hes never been anything special and Ive never been impressed. He has CJ next to him and is still average. Secondly though I think he has many times confronted players like titus young about what a punk kid he was. Ive seen stuff on it previously but imo the lack of discipline falls on Schwartz and even the coach is not going to be able to insure everyone behaves. But the lions do seem to have way more problems than any other team so that is a reflection on the coach. He cant help everyone but should be able to help some. I think hes too worried about looking tough instead of just coaching.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol bronco four yard reverses...SO TRUE. Anyone else realizes that Burleson isn't that type of playmaker yet the lions continue to use him on trick plays, mindboggling.

Coach_Ed_LPW

Coach of the Year
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those reverses are bad ass. Opponents spend hours game planning for that.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well your choices right now are Burleson, Durham or an unknown late round draft pick or a free agent that no one has bothered to pick up yet.

take your choice.

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, who else will go on NFL network for us?