• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

cut down day... i mean what's next for tebow day

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Kennard Cox CB for the Chiefs was cut, I thought he played pretty well in the preseason, I hope we go after him.

Jalil Brown another Chiefs CB that I liked a whole lot in college was also cut. Wouldn't mind going after him for purely nostalgic reasons.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kennard Cox CB for the Chiefs was cut, I thought he played pretty well in the preseason, I hope we go after him.

Jalil Brown another Chiefs CB that I liked a whole lot in college was also cut. Wouldn't mind going after him for purely nostalgic reasons.

Loved me some Jalil Brown.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
640410-alotta_fagina_hot_tubbing_1_.png

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Ex-49er Tolzien sure to help Packers prepare - SFGate

As usual The experts agree with me. This could get ugly.

Suddenly Trent Dilfer constitutes "the experts"? I also didn't see Dilfer arguing that we should have held onto him simply to prevent the Packers from picking him up. That was the crux of your argument. I don't think anyone disagrees with the position that GB having Tolzien helps them to some extent.

We'll see how ugly it gets, though.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Suddenly Trent Dilfer constitutes "the experts"? I also didn't see Dilfer arguing that we should have held onto him simply to prevent the Packers from picking him up. That was the crux of your argument. I don't think anyone disagrees with the position that GB having Tolzien helps them to some extent.

I would say so, wouldn't you? He experienced it with the Niners beating Seattle as he "called all the plays before they happened" as he says in the article. He is a long time NFL QB and a recognized NFL "expert" in his job with ESPN

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Back then our playbook was nothing as most of us know. That was then and this is now but Tolzein might give up some stuff. IMO too late for the Packers to prepare for. Teams do this all of the time to get intel...no big deal.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I would say so, wouldn't you? He experienced it with the Niners beating Seattle as he "called all the plays before they happened" as he says in the article. He is a long time NFL QB and a recognized NFL "expert" in his job with ESPN

Several thoughts:

1) Dilfer is an expert, he is not "the experts." At least I wouldn't agree with that description.

2) Dilfer didn't really agree with you. He said the addition of Tolzien could be significant, but he didn't think it would be decisive. He also certainly didn't say the Niners should have kept Tolzien.

3) When Dilfer joined the Niners, Holmgren had been running his offense in Seattle for years. Dilfer had been in the system for four years, and had 12 starts. The supporting cast was very similar. The Niners' system is still changing, particularly with the move to Kap as the starting QB. And Tolzien has not made any starts in the system. It's unlikely he has as strong a grasp of the Niners' system as Dilfer did of Holmgren's.

4) The Niners' D did not play uncharacteristically well against the Hawks in 2006. They had a rough start to the season, but after the blowout against the Bears, they tightened up, allowing 3, 13, 14, 20, 34, 30, 14, 26, and 23 points over the second half of the season. That's still bottom half of the league, but a big difference from the 29.375 PPG they allowed in the first half of the season.

5) Seattle did not perform uncharacteristically poorly against the Niners in 2006. They averaged a mundane 20.9 PPG that season, and over the second half of the season they struggled repeatedly, putting up 16, 24, 14, 34, 23, 21, 14, 17, and 23. This could be related to #6.

6) It must be mentioned that Seneca Wallace started five games that season, including the first game against the Niners.

7) Dilfer's memory may not be all that great. The big difference in those games? Frank Gore. He ran for 212 yards and 144 yards in those games, respectively. The Niners held the ball for over 36 minutes in the first game. The Hawks' offense was stymied because they couldn't get the ball back. It is possible that Dilfer's presence helped a bit in the second game, but I don't see anyone claiming that he was the reason Gore dominated the Hawks.

Either way, we'll learn soon enough how big of a difference Tolzien's presence makes. No sense freaking out about it now.

Last edited by a moderator:

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Several thoughts:

1) Dilfer is an expert, he is not "the experts." At least I wouldn't agree with that description.

2) Dilfer didn't really agree with you. He said the addition of Tolzien could be significant, but he didn't think it would be decisive. He also certainly didn't say the Niners should have kept Tolzien.

3) When Dilfer joined the Niners, Holmgren had been running his offense in Seattle for years. Dilfer had been in the system for four years, and had 12 starts. The supporting cast was very similar. The Niners' system is still changing, particularly with the move to Kap as the starting QB. And Tolzien has not made any starts in the system. It's unlikely he has as strong a grasp of the Niners' system as Dilfer did of Holmgren's.

4) The Niners' D did not play uncharacteristically well against the Hawks in 2006. They had a rough start to the season, but after the blowout against the Bears, they tightened up, allowing 3, 13, 14, 20, 34, 30, 14, 26, and 23 points over the second half of the season. That's still bottom half of the league, but a big difference from the 29.375 PPG they allowed in the first half of the season - including .

5) Seattle did not perform uncharacteristically poorly against the Niners in 2006. They averaged a mundane 20.9 PPG that season, and over the second half of the season they struggled repeatedly, putting up 16, 24, 14, 34, 23, 21, 14, 17, and 23. This could be related to #6.

6) It must be mentioned that Seneca Wallace started five games that season, including was the first game against the Niners.

7) Dilfer's memory may not be all that great. The big difference in those games? Frank Gore. He ran for 212 yards and 144 yards in those games, respectively. The Niners held the ball for over 36 minutes in the first game. The Hawks' offense was stymied because they couldn't get the ball back. It is possible that Dilfer's presence helped a bit in the second game, but I don't see anyone claiming that he was the reason Gore dominated the Hawks.

Either way, we'll learn soon enough how big of a difference Tolzien's presence makes. No sense freaking out about it now.

I can't wait but I am freaking out a little. I hope the 49ers play up to their potential. I especially want them to bring fear and intimidation to Aaron Rodgers.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Still waiting by the computer to hear news that the Niners have signed Marvin freekin' Austin! Don't try to tell me Tony Jerod-Eddie is a more valuable commodity.

...Ready when you are twitter.

...And time now.

2p2.gif

shouldakepowens

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still waiting by the computer to hear news that the Niners have signed Marvin freekin' Austin! Don't try to tell me Tony Jerod-Eddie is a more valuable commodity.

...Ready when you are twitter.

...And time now.

2p2.gif

Nice!

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Urlacher was talking about GB picking up Tolzien on Fox Football Daily the other day and was saying that when it happened when he was on the Bears it didn't really help him at all. He said he would hear a cue on the field that he remembered hearing, but he couldn't remember what it meant in the moment and sometimes as he tried to figure it out, the ball would get snapped.

From what we understand, players have their hands full learning their own playbook and calls, now you're asking them to learn their opponent's as well in a week or less?

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Urlacher was talking about GB picking up Tolzien on Fox Football Daily the other day and was saying that when it happened when he was on the Bears it didn't really help him at all. He said he would hear a cue on the field that he remembered hearing, but he couldn't remember what it meant in the moment and sometimes as he tried to figure it out, the ball would get snapped.

From what we understand, players have their hands full learning their own playbook and calls, now you're asking them to learn their opponent's as well in a week or less?

I think it helps the coordinators more than anyone else...