• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Current Roster

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giants non-tendered Cruz, Szapucki and Waites.

Cruz and Szapucki, while a bit surprising, are not overly shocking. Waites is a shock, imho.
Just guessing here: they think he'll go unclaimed and they can bring him back.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giants non-tendered Cruz, Szapucki and Waites.

Cruz and Szapucki, while a bit surprising, are not overly shocking. Waites is a shock, imho.
Weird moves. Not sure why the Giants need to make room on the 40 man roster. I thought FZ loves to pay pitchers to rehab and then let them go afterward (oh wait, he already did that with Szapucki).

Granted, Cruz did suck pretty badly with Richmond in 2023. I'm okay with that move.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just guessing here: they think he'll go unclaimed and they can bring him back.

I was wondering why they didn’t just DFA them. By non-tendering, they made them all FAs immediately.

@MarcoPolo ?
That is not how non-tenders work. Players not tended a contract immediately become free agents and can sign with anyone, just like any other major league free agent. The only way the Giants get them back is if they re-sign them to new deals.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is not how non-tenders work. Players not tended a contract immediately become free agents and can sign with anyone, just like any other major league free agent. The only way the Giants get them back is if they re-sign them to new deals.
Um…

I think that is what I said, isn’t it?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You asked Marco (unless you were tagging him for something else). I answered for him.
My question was about why the Giants would not have DFAd them instead of non-tendering them. A DFA would have required the new team to put them onto their 40. Non tendering just cuts them loose. I don’t understand the non-tender decision.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My question was about why the Giants would not have DFAd them instead of non-tendering them. A DFA would have required the new team to put them onto their 40. Non tendering just cuts them loose. I don’t understand the non-tender decision.
Got it.
It is weird how some teams do this but it happens every year with multiple clubs. Often, they quickly re-sign to minor league deals. It may be that teams feel that, for those who they want to keep but not on the 40 man roster, there is less risk because other clubs cannot claim them automatically when non-tendered. But there is still risk because the player could choose to test the market instead of quickly re-signing. I assume that the team that takes the non-tender action and re-signs the player to a minor league deal has some kind of incentive built in that causes the player to want to stay.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The FO's handling of injured pitchers is "interesting".
For example, Thomas Szapucki goes down early in spring training and is determined, sometime in April I believe, that he would be out for the year. So they keep him on the 60 day IL (paying him a major league salary while he rehabs) only to non tender when the season is over.
Cole Waites, however, goes down during the season and spends a couple of months on the 60 day IL, only to get non tendered this month. He re-signs to a minor league deal so he WON'T get a major league salary while he rehabs.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw this on the milb.com transactions page. Apparently, Cruz re-signed to a minor league deal:
105.svg
11/30/23RHP José Cruz assigned to Sacramento River Cats.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw this on the milb.com transactions page. Apparently, Cruz re-signed to a minor league deal:
105.svg
11/30/23RHP José Cruz assigned to Sacramento River Cats.
Looks like he re-upped on the 20th

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They probably had a "handshake deal" with at least two of them. You know "we want you, but you need to rehab and we want to be able to sign big name FA for the active roster. Will you sign a minor league deal?" .

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lee added to 40
This better not be instead of Yamamoto.
Of course, I have to confess that the most money may still not land Yamamoto but if he doesn't sign with SF it better be because he got a better offer with SF but wanted to play alongside another Japanese player.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This better not be instead of Yamamoto.
Of course, I have to confess that the most money may still not land Yamamoto but if he doesn't sign with SF it better be because he got a better offer with SF but wanted to play alongside another Japanese player.
I see the Giants, at best, finishing 4th…

dogs
mutts
spanks