• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Current Roster

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Updated

Also, Pomeranz, McKenna and Reetz all cleared waivers. Pomeranz elected FA, so he is gone. McKenna and Reetz also have that option, but it is not known yet if they are leaving.
Both Reetz and McKenna are listed on the RiverCats' roster. Reetz played in their game today (with Sabol at 1st base and Sands at DH. Not sure why they need 4 catchers on the roster there).

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like Snell is back to the IL with an adductor strain. He's re-injured it.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like Snell is back to the IL with an adductor strain. He's re-injured it.
Options are limited on who will be recalled. Avila, Roupp and McDonald are all on minor league 7 day ILs right now (although McDonald is on a rehab assignment in the ACL). That leaves just Black and Teng as 40 man roster options to get recalled. Otherwise, the Giants will need to make room on the 40 for someone else. Justin Garza and Spencer Bivens are putting the best numbers in AAA among non 40 relievers. Tommy Romero is probably the best non Mason Black starter in AAA right now. Teng has been awful this year, both in AAA and the big leagues.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Options are limited on who will be recalled. Avila, Roupp and McDonald are all on minor league 7 day ILs right now (although McDonald is on a rehab assignment in the ACL). That leaves just Black and Teng as 40 man roster options to get recalled. Otherwise, the Giants will need to make room on the 40 for someone else. Justin Garza and Spencer Bivens are putting the best numbers in AAA among non 40 relievers. Tommy Romero is probably the best non Mason Black starter in AAA right now. Teng has been awful this year, both in AAA and the big leagues.
It's going to be Black, I'm 90% sure.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's going to be Black, I'm 90% sure.

Black pitched yesterday (Sunday) for the RiverKittens.

4 innings
3 hit
0 runs
2 walks
7 K's
69 pitches

If he is called up, he won't be allowed to pitch for several days.

In more news, Crawford also pitched yesterday (Sunday) for the RiverKittens.

1 inning
0 hits, runs, walks, K's
10 pitches (very efficient)

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Black pitched yesterday (Sunday) for the RiverKittens.

4 innings
3 hit
0 runs
2 walks
7 K's
69 pitches

If he is called up, he won't be allowed to pitch for several days.

In more news, Crawford also pitched yesterday (Sunday) for the RiverKittens.

1 inning
0 hits, runs, walks, K's
10 pitches (very efficient)
If Black is called up, it will be to replace Snell, so the timing actually works well.

I wouldn’t be shocked to see Crawford get his cuppo this year, but let’s hold off on the “he will replace Doval right away” narrative. While I think he is being groomed to be the closer, he needs to get his feet under him first, and Doval, while very Brian Wilson-esque, has not done enough to lose the job just yet. I have never been a huge Doval guy, but he is still one of the elite closers in the game. You gotta give him more rope.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Black is called up, it will be to replace Snell, so the timing actually works well.

I wouldn’t be shocked to see Crawford get his cuppo this year, but let’s hold off on the “he will replace Doval right away” narrative. While I think he is being groomed to be the closer, he needs to get his feet under him first, and Doval, while very Brian Wilson-esque, has not done enough to lose the job just yet. I have never been a huge Doval guy, but he is still one of the elite closers in the game. You gotta give him more rope.

Yes to your thoughts on Crawford. So far at Sacto, he has not blown up in a game. It is important, ne, essential for a potential closer to blow a few games, and to see how they bounce back. Do they have a short memory? (Unlike fans) Or does their bad inning snowball into multiple bad innings and a loss of confidence? So far, Crawford has performed well, and has had only a minor hiccup or two. And he is only pitching once a week, so there's that.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes to your thoughts on Crawford. So far at Sacto, he has not blown up in a game. It is important, ne, essential for a potential closer to blow a few games, and to see how they bounce back. Do they have a short memory? (Unlike fans) Or does their bad inning snowball into multiple bad innings and a loss of confidence? So far, Crawford has performed well, and has had only a minor hiccup or two. And he is only pitching once a week, so there's that.
We have to remember that he is SUPER raw. He picked up the game late, and then split his concentration on being a 2-way player. I am shocked he has advanced as fast as he has. I was critical of this pick when it happened, and I have continued to be critical of it up until this year. I am happy to eat crow, though.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We have to remember that he is SUPER raw. He picked up the game late, and then split his concentration on being a 2-way player. I am shocked he has advanced as fast as he has. I was critical of this pick when it happened, and I have continued to be critical of it up until this year. I am happy to eat crow, though.
He has been good at Sacramento but his outings with Richmond were more rocky. It is pretty impressive to me that he was able to turn it up a notch moving from the pitching friendly EL to the hitter happy PCL.
That being said, the fact that he is only pitching once a week seems to suggest he won’t be up soon. And like cal pointed out he is very raw. The Giants have been both aggressive (he is in the PCL already as a pitcher after spending last winter as a hitter in the AFL) and cautious (not pitching him much last year, including mound outings last winter, being used sparingly this year). All that makes it hard to determine if he will make his debut this year or next year.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pitcher injury update today via Baggs:

1. Snell -- 15 day IL. At least 3 starts to be missed, maybe more depending upon yesterday's MRI.

2. Winn -- Threw in AZ yesterday, will rejoin the rotation this weekend in TX

3. Cobb -- Probably ready in July but the variance is huge. He might also be done.

4. Ray -- Everyone believes he'll be ready right after the ASB.

5. Beck -- Throwing without discomfort; next step is to throw off a mound.

6. Whisenhunt -- Lots of BBs, lots of Ks...not on the 40 man...probably not up til end of year if at all.

7. Roupp -- out for 3 weeks with elbow inflammation. Slated to start throwing in 2 weeks.

8. Black -- 4 shutout innings and 7 Ks on Sunday in Sac. But for Winn, would have been called up for the TX series.

9. Howard -- will remain in his long role behind a LH opener.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Blake Snell is throwing off flat ground and could throw off a mound next week. Giants are encouraged, think this is a milder case than his previous IL trip.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like Ahmed suffered a minor setback, answering my question about his status.

With Casali back in the fold, is there a place for Murphy? I know we signed him for $8+ million, but man, his hitting was awful. SSS I know.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Casali back in the fold, is there a place for Murphy? I know we signed him for $8+ million, but man, his hitting was awful. SSS I know.
SSS. End of story. He has a history of being a decent bat.

I don’t believe he needed on this team, don’t get me wrong. But I thought he was a questionable signing from the get, so…

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like Ahmed suffered a minor setback, answering my question about his status.

The article mentions a guy flying under the radar right now in Austin Warren...dude could be a very nice bullpen piece when ready.

overall, it seems like we are going to get quite a few players back this month: Snell, Winn, Ahmed, Luci, LWJ, Cobb. Should be some interesting roster decisions.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A thought exercise.

Suppose everyone (except Lee) is healthy. What does the 26 man look like? My guess:

SP: Webb, Snell, Ray, Hicks, Harrison (where does this put Cobb?)
RP: Doval, Taylor, Tyler, Walker, Hjelle, (Cobb), Jackson, Miller (where does this leave Howard, Rodriguez, Small, Beck?)

C: Bailey, Casali (where does this leave Murph?)

IF: Wade, Estrada, Ahmed, Chapman, Flores, Wisely (Fitzgerald, Schmitt, Brooks?)

OF: Conforto, Ramos, Yaz, Slater (Matos?)

DH: Soler

I didn't include obvious AAA players like Avila, Black, McDonald, Roupp, Teng, Sabol, Villar, Meckler as they only come up if there are injuries.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A thought exercise.

Suppose everyone (except Lee) is healthy. What does the 26 man look like? My guess:

SP: Webb, Snell, Ray, Hicks, Harrison (where does this put Cobb?)
RP: Doval, Taylor, Tyler, Walker, Hjelle, (Cobb), Jackson, Miller (where does this leave Howard, Rodriguez, Small, Beck?)

C: Bailey, Casali (where does this leave Murph?)

IF: Wade, Estrada, Ahmed, Chapman, Flores, Wisely (Fitzgerald, Schmitt, Brooks?)

OF: Conforto, Ramos, Yaz, Slater (Matos?)

DH: Soler

I didn't include obvious AAA players like Avila, Black, McDonald, Roupp, Teng, Sabol, Villar, Meckler as they only come up if there are injuries.
You missed Warren. Maybe Jackson becomes expendable? Maybe Hicks or Harrison sleeps on their eye wrong and needs to go on the IL for a couple weeks? I think Brooks is an easy DFA candidate. I would like to see them try to deal Yaz for some lotto tix. He has value, so the return should be decent.