• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Current Roster

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The JJ thing looks to be a surprise to everyone. His name was never mentioned (that I can see) in previous lists of Giants options. And even still, why pick it up? It must be for VERY cheap.

MLBTR does say that they expect more announcements from the Giants regarding roster moves today, so we will likely see a lot more purchased contracts today.
I wonder if putting that option on his minor league contract enabled the Giants to sign him versus him signing with another team.

I forgot that the deadline to add players to the 40 man roster was not today (already forgot the timeline I posted on another thread). I would guess that Marte got purchased now as a result of an agreement to keep him from signing with another team. Still seems really odd to purchase a guy you've had in the farm the whole season, not use him at all and then purchase his contract to prevent him from possibly leaving as a free agent.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just so it’s said, we still have 2 weeks for the rule V protection deadline (Nov 19).

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@calsnowskier , please add Dominic Leone back to the roster. Apparently, he is not a free agent this offseason after all. BBRef lists him as eligible after next season and MLBTR does not list him as a free agent. The Giants' website still has him on their roster and does not list him as declaring free agency either.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@calsnowskier , please add Dominic Leone back to the roster. Apparently, he is not a free agent this offseason after all. BBRef lists him as eligible after next season and MLBTR does not list him as a free agent. The Giants' website still has him on their roster and does not list him as declaring free agency either.
Looks like he is still A3, which is weird. His A1 was 2018 (avoided with Toronto). His A2 was in 2019 (avoided with St Louis). He then signed minor league contracts in ‘20 and ‘21, yet got significant MLB time in both seasons. I would think that he would have earned his FA by now…

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like he is still A3, which is weird. His A1 was 2018 (avoided with Toronto). His A2 was in 2019 (avoided with St Louis). He then signed minor league contracts in ‘20 and ‘21, yet got significant MLB time in both seasons. I would think that he would have earned his FA by now…
I think we all expected that. It would be nice to know how the Giants avoided him going to market.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I fully get the need to protect Ramos and Hjelle. The rest of today's transactions are a bit confusing.
Why use the option on Jay Jackson's contract, only to dfa him two weeks later?
Why carry Dedniel Nunez all year on the 60 day IL, paying him a big league salary, only to return him to the Mets at the end of the year?
And why purchase Randy Rodriguez' contract when he has another year before needing to be protected? Sure, he's young and put up good numbers at San Jose, but there are other pitchers who definitely need to be protected.

And what about the non transactions. The Giants left a lot of guys exposed, just to keep Joe Palumbo, Hunter Harvey and Austin Dean (among others) on the 40 man roster. Is FZ gun shy about his 40 man shuffle game since he lost guys early last offseason? Are these three castoffs really moe valuable then some of the players on the farm that I've listed on the Rule 5 thread?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My understanding on the Rule V is essentially, if you break it, you gotta fix it. The Giants didn’t have the option of sending Nunez back until after the season. At least that is my understanding as to why we have done it 2 or 3 other times in the recent past.

As for Rodriguez…

Well, how do I put this kindly?

If I have to pick between your understanding of the protection rules and FZ’s…. I love ya, brother, but I ain’t putting my money on your horse in that race.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My understanding on the Rule V is essentially, if you break it, you gotta fix it. The Giants didn’t have the option of sending Nunez back until after the season. At least that is my understanding as to why we have done it 2 or 3 other times in the recent past.

As for Rodriguez…

Well, how do I put this kindly?

If I have to pick between your understanding of the protection rules and FZ’s…. I love ya, brother, but I ain’t putting my money on your horse in that race.
I get that. I used to think that the signing year started the clock but either SFGRTB (whom I cannot tag any longer) or @MarcoPolo had corrected me on how the international signing period works on Rule 5 eligibility. Either I misunderstood that person, that person was wrong or, the least likely scenario (at you point out), the FO has someone influential with wrong information.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't think that it quite works that way. I think it has to do with him being injured. I am almost positive that injured players may not be traded without permission of the Commissioner nor may they be optioned to the minors. So if a player is on the injured list, he can't be outrighted (removed from the 40-man). If he is removed from the injured list and he is still injured, the payer and the player's association would scream bloody murder (rightfully so).

However, if he WAS better and could be removed from the IL, and the Giants did remove him from the IL, he could have been outrighted, which would have let the mets claim him if they wanted him. And the Giants could have released him at any time if he cleared waivers.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sam Delaplane, Joe Palumbo and Luis Gonzalez all non-tendered. Wondering why any of these guys were picked up, but especially Palumbo. Why not dfa Palumbo two weeks ago and add Corry or Berroa to the 40 man roster (Corry seems like a hot commodity on the "most likely to be taken" Rule 5 articles).

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sam Delaplane, Joe Palumbo and Luis Gonzalez all non-tendered. Wondering why any of these guys were picked up, but especially Palumbo. Why not dfa Palumbo two weeks ago and add Corry or Berroa to the 40 man roster (Corry seems like a hot commodity on the "most likely to be taken" Rule 5 articles).
Yeah…. I trust FZ, but I am not going to try to explain his moves. I don’t understand this kind of roster management. It may work, but I am not a fan of it.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perhaps they kept Palumbo around for rotation insurance. But now that they (reportedly) have Disco, Wood and Cobb in the fold, he isn’t needed anymore?

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah…. I trust FZ, but I am not going to try to explain his moves. I don’t understand this kind of roster management. It may work, but I am not a fan of it.
It seems excessive. And he seems to favor carrying guys recovering from TJ surgery, only to jettison them before ever pitching in the org.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carlos Rodon 2/44. Apparently Rodon has an opt-out after 1 year. No word yet on the annual breakdown of the $$.