• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Current Roster

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope he goes to another team we play a lot and hits like we saw him hit before his shoulder and pounds our pitching staff while the trust worthy vets we hold onto do terrible. JUST VENTING I hope he does well somewhere where he can get a real chance and don't really hope it's against the Giants. It's just frustrating watching mediocre vets given plenty of rope over young players with at least some hope of being above WAR even if it doesn't workout. Just treading water with vets gets you nothing. :mad2:
I'm kinda hoping he clears waivers and goes to Sacramento. If he does, I think he gets a good chance getting back if he hits well down there. However, if another team picking him up works better for him, then so be it.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Giants announced Thursday that left-handed reliever Steven Okert has been outrighted to Triple-A Sacramento after clearing waivers. Okert, 27, has spent time in the Giants’ bullpen in each of the past three seasons and compiled a career 4.28 ERA with 8.2 K/9 against 2.8 BB/9 in 48 1/3 innings as a Major League reliever. He’ll remain with the organization as a depth option should the club need to call upon some additional left-handed bullpen help at some point in the 2019 season.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure hope Kratz and whoever officially replaced Murphy were worth it:

3/28/19 Cincinnati Reds claimed RHP Jose Lopez off waivers from San Francisco Giants.
3/28/19 St. Louis Cardinals claimed RHP Merandy Gonzalez off waivers from San Francisco Giants.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure hope Kratz and whoever officially replaced Murphy were worth it:

3/28/19 Cincinnati Reds claimed RHP Jose Lopez off waivers from San Francisco Giants.
3/28/19 St. Louis Cardinals claimed RHP Merandy Gonzalez off waivers from San Francisco Giants.
Like I have said, I am trying to keep an open mind of FZ, but I am not a fan of this type of roster building.

I am not saying this is the wrong way to build a solid roster. I just don’t LIKE it. I don’t want to be a fan of the San Francisco A’s. I want to be a fan of the San Francisco Giants.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I have said, I am trying to keep an open mind of FZ, but I am not a fan of this type of roster building.

I am not saying this is the wrong way to build a solid roster. I just don’t LIKE it. I don’t want to be a fan of the San Francisco A’s. I want to be a fan of the San Francisco Giants.

What about the San Francisco Dodg... :puke:

sorry

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What about the San Francisco Dodg... :puke:

sorry
giphy.gif

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No word on what the Giants get back. However, I love the first response listed on this tweet.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No word on what the Giants get back. However, I love the first response listed on this tweet.
Time flies when you are having fun. His time here felt like just a week or so.

He will be forgotten missed.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Law, Hanson and de Paula sent to Toronto for Pillar.

Reed DFA’d

I will update the roster later.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reed cleared waiver, elected free agency, then re-signed with the Giants to a minor league deal.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reed cleared waiver, elected free agency, then re-signed with the Giants to a minor league deal.
I saw him on the RiverCat's roster yesterday, without a number assigned (which usually means a roster spot hasn't been made available yet).
If I was a young outfielder just dfa'd by the Giants and had the option to walk or stay, it would be a very tough call. Only one outfielder is hitting but he is a rookie. The other three are not, but two of them are veterans so they may well get a verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry long leash (maybe even more so than normal. I suspect that the Giants will go veteran crazy for Bochy's swan song) and while the 4th guy is a rookie, he is also a Rule 5 pick. If the org wants to keep him around, they may just stash him at the end of the bench (which seems to be what is happening lately). There is uncertainty in the outfield but a veteran manager, who loves veteran players to a fault, is in his last season of his storied career. That makes for very ambiguous opportunity to get back up.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Baggs at The Athletic

The Giants acquired Austin from the Twins on Monday in exchange for minor-league outfielder Malique Ziegler. Austin, 27, hit 17 home runs in 244 at-bats for the Yankees and Twins last season — one more than any Giants player hit in 2018. The Twins had acquired Austin for pitcher Lance Lynn last summer but designated him for assignment over the weekend when they needed his roster spot to add a pitcher.

Austin, 27, is primarily a first baseman but has played some outfield. It’s expected he will offer more reliable power off the bench when he isn’t starting against left-handed pitching. He’s likely to form a hazy platoon with Gerardo Parra...

The Giants outfield might remain one of the least impressive in the major leagues, but at least the pieces appear to fit now. Kevin Pillar, who was acquired from the Toronto Blue Jays, is a true center fielder who can take the pressure off of Steven Duggar. And Austin averaged a home run per 11.1 at-bats against left-handed pitchers last season.

If Austin doesn’t work out, then perhaps Williamson will be able to make enough noise at Sacramento to work his way into another opportunity.

The last thing Zaidi wanted to do in a transition year was to subtract from the farm system to add veteran pieces — especially for players who limit roster flexibility. While Austin has five years of club control, he cannot be optioned to the minors.

But the Giants probably didn’t sacrifice much while dealing Derek Law, Alen Hanson (whom they were going to lose anyway) and minor-league pitcher Juan de Paula to Toronto for Pillar. And Ziegler was a late-round draftee whose bat probably won’t catch up to his athleticism. It wasn’t their first choice to eat all of Pillar’s $5.8 million salary, either.

But desperate times demand sacrifice, and with the Giants off to a 3-7 start, it was time to pretty up what had become an untenable outfield situation.

Giants end the failed Connor Joe experiment, acquire Tyler...

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is another one of those slight improvements. FZ is going to churn through many many more over the next few months.

One thing I can say: there is more talent on this team now then there was last November.

Now, if he can just trade Poopturdja and Hollcrap....