• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Current HOF inductees will not show for future inductions if their "salary"demands aren't met

PEOPLESCHICKEN

Dysfunctional Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This I totally get...anybody who's seen the Frontline piece on Mike Webster and CTE should be sympathetic to those old-timers. And to an extent you can feel bad for some guys who had really short careers due to injury. But these are the (now well-known) risks of playing pro football.
They should know what they are signing on for. They get paid an insane amount of money by real world standards. All went to college. Prepare for life after football, invest your money, get a real job. No one put a gun to their heads to play. So I don't feel sorry for them

TP76

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This I totally get...anybody who's seen the Frontline piece on Mike Webster and CTE should be sympathetic to those old-timers. And to an extent you can feel bad for some guys who had really short careers due to injury. But these are the (now well-known) risks of playing pro football.

I ran into Ron Yary about ten/fifteen years back (HOF 2001)... he was still working in construction (probably in his sixties).

Groo

Did you err ?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eric Dickerson doesn't seem like the best planned out spokesman for this cause
Why doesn't he ask SMU for moe money
200.gif

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I ran into Ron Yary about ten/fifteen years back (HOF 2001)... he was still working (probably in his sixties).

Football has the shortest average career of any major sport (which is weird, you'd think it might be hockey). Most guys are completely out of the league before hitting 35. If you live another 35 years, that's an awful long time to sit on your ass, so if you haven't banked millions, better go put that college degree to good use.

I can imagine lots of places would be thrilled to have a former pro player on the payroll, you can use it as advertising to some extent. (Some notable exceptions might be Dan Marino and Johnny Unitas, both of those guys had like a reverse-Midas touch)

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry I cant get behind the Salary part for HOFers.

I can get behind the NFL giving them health insurance for life.

If NFLPA wants to fight for salaries after playing days are over, then they have to cap how much players make now (which has crazy high contracts now BTW) Which we all know will never happen. So Fuck the salary after football part.

Insurance however I agree with. They end up with some form of crap down the road that they didn't even realize during their playing days & with the price of health care. They could see whatever they did save go right out the window, while executives for the NFL make bank off their misery. (Goodell 40 mil a yr comes to mind) So yeah the NFL can pay that bill!

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isn't this something they should take to the players union? This is a labor and collective bargaining issue that should be handled with their CBA, this letter is pretty much an empty threat from my point of view.

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They should know what they are signing on for. They get paid an insane amount of money by real world standards. All went to college. Prepare for life after football, invest your money, get a real job. No one put a gun to their heads to play. So I don't feel sorry for them
i mean, dickerson got PAID IN COLLEGE for shits sake.

dickerson, 1985...keep that in mind with the costs below.

OF ARMOR AND THE MAN

THE 25-year-old running back, has a Hollywood agent, a literary agent, a commercial agent and an agent to negotiate his contracts with the Los Angeles Rams.

A year ago, he moved into a split-level town house in an exclusive area of Irvine, Calif., a town house for which he paid $285,000 and to which the Rams' owner, Georgia Frontiere, dispatched her personal decorator. The garage out front houses two Porsches. A Mercedes 500, ultra gray, is also on the way; somewhere a Corvette is stashed. In his bedroom is a bed that is lighted from underneath. And a closet that contains 95 pairs of shoes. King Eric. Lord of his manor. It is a lovely day and Dickerson has just led a visitor onto an overhanging deck, which looks out onto grassy hills less than a football field away. Could a man possibly want more? Presently, a maid appears bearing canapes on two small silver trays. She sets them down on a table and vanishes. She returns with apple juice served in goblets. Dickerson, reclining in a chair and reaching for a piece of cheese wrapped in ham, chooses this paradisaical moment to impart a small secret.

''I don't want to get the money when I'm 30,'' Dickerson says, still sounding angry. ''I want to be rich right now. I'm a single young man. I'm in this game to make money. I want to make myself secure. I don't want to have to hang around an organization forever to get financial security.''

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Healthcare protection is the single biggest threat we all face, especially as we age ... It can turn your entire financial situation upside down...

Peter Gozintite

NO!...but yes.
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 103,499.99
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont like this new av, or the serious attitude it makes you exude.

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Healthcare protection is the single biggest threat we all face, especially as we age ... It can turn your entire financial situation upside down...
Is part of that is people are more worried about dying than they are living? While there are plenty of people with serious health issues, and I have empathy for them, there are too many that run to the doctor with the slightest issue.

Mangler

Dis-member
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't blame them for trying, they made pennies compared to what these "superstars" make today.

Good luck trying to collect...

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is part of that is people are more worried about dying than they are living? While there are plenty of people with serious health issues, and I have empathy for them, there are too many that run to the doctor with the slightest issue.

So many don't even go to a doctor, they go to the ER when they're sick ... People just put stuff off because they can't afford it, then it ends up getting worse and they end up in the ER out of desperation ... It's a sad reality ...

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't watch anything related to the HOF ceremony and even if I did I wouldn't give a shit if these guys showed up or not. Stay home. Who gives a shit

Agree. In general lots of folks only care if the player was on their team or if it is some mega star like Peyton Manning or Jerry Rice being inducted. Really who gives a damn about former players who show up unless perhaps you see them in person & again it is someone in one of those categories.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuck these old guys.

Go sell some autographs, or fight each to the death for cash.

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A few of these guys crossed the picket line during strikes that were fighting for better retirement benefits and healthcare. Fuckin hypocrites.