• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Current HOF inductees will not show for future inductions if their "salary"demands aren't met

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Group of Pro Football Hall of Famers to Boycott Ceremony over Salary, Benefits

Members of the Pro Football Hall of Fame are threatening to boycott future induction ceremonies unless their demands are met.

A group of Hall of Famers sent a letter to NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell, NFL Players Association Executive Director DeMaurice Smith and Pro Football Hall of Fame President C. David Baker to inform them they would not make the trip to Canton anymore unless they were given health insurance and an annual salary that includes a share of the league's revenue, via ESPN's Arash Markazi:

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Uh... weren't these jackasses (especially HOFers) already paid? It's called saving some of the mega millions you made for retirement so you can afford insurance/healthcare independently.

I hope the NFL tells them to pound sand. Bunch of irresponsible spending and years later you whine about your shitty choices you made early in your life.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Uh... weren't these jackasses (especially HOFers) already paid? It's called saving some of the mega millions you made for retirement so you can afford insurance/healthcare independently.

I hope the NFL tells them to pound sand. Bunch of irresponsible spending and years later you whine about your shitty choices you made early in your life.

I'm with you, I kinda get where they're coming from, in terms of the league is still making money off of their likenesses, etc., but Damn...if you played in the last 30 years and didn't save enough from your playing days, I don't have much sympathy for you.

Or, go out and get another job. That's pretty much what the non-HOF former players have to do. That, or run for Congress seems to be popular

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuck them then and we dont need any more HOF people or people being inducted. How much are they paid each time they go out for appearances and why are they more deserving than other players not in the Hall that helped them get there.

Fuck em

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

boom

TP76

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You might have a case with the current crop or some recent inductees - however, players from the sixties & seventies often had two jobs during their playing days. They laid the foundation and some form of compensation is probably warranted.

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
carson palmer would agree...but he sucks and isn't going to the hall

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Weird for a variety of reasons.

One reason obviously being that their earning days are over and it's really not their business/battle.

Another, though... being that I think this is only hurting themselves. It's a party in their honor. NFL HOF inductions aren't some big earning opportunity for the league itself. If they don't show... it's a moot fucking point. Nobody really gives a fuck. I watched Urlacher's speech on YouTube - but if the whole thing never happened? I couldn't tell ya how much I would simply not have missed it.

The time to strike is your playing days. It's like putting 40 years in at a company and then saying. "Hey, when you eventually throw my retirement party that hasn't been planned yet. I ain't going! Bunch a dicks!".... Okay, Larry. Sorry you feel that way. Uh... bye.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You might have a case with the current crop or some recent inductees - however, players from the sixties & seventies often had two jobs during their playing days. They laid the foundation and some form of compensation is probably warranted.

I am fairly certain that by the Super Bowl era that the average player was earning a nice living. Not super cozy - but doing just fine in those years.

The "they were poor and needed an off-season job" era definitely existed early on into professional american sports. However, it didn't last as long as many seem to believe.

EDIT:

Yup...

"Even adjusting for inflation, the average ticket price for a regular season game in 2012 ($78) was more than double that in 1969 ($31 to $38 adjusted). The average football player's salary in 1969 of $25,000 would be equivalent to about $156,400 adjusted—far lower than the actual $1.9 million average salary of today's NFL athletes. To put those numbers into perspective, the average U.S. salary in 1969 was nearly $5,900, so football players were making more than four times as much as the average American. Today they make nearly 50 times what the average American does."

Mondo Jay

Wine Mafia
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,690.94
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gladiators usually don't have great long-term prospects.

NEXT MAN UP!

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't watch anything related to the HOF ceremony and even if I did I wouldn't give a shit if these guys showed up or not. Stay home. Who gives a shit

PEOPLESCHICKEN

Dysfunctional Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
in other words, retired guys want a salary and benefits or they wont show for future ceremonies.

i'd like that retirement plan too.
I am all for this. They should get a salary and benies

For working on the grounds crew, chain gain, concessions ect.

Otherwise STFU

OMFG the NFL is a waste

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
in other words, retired guys want a salary and benefits or they wont show for future ceremonies.

i'd like that retirement plan too.

The Bernie Sanders Plan.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An award is not a job.

You want to eliminate the HOF? Because this is how you eliminate the HOF.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This I totally get...anybody who's seen the Frontline piece on Mike Webster and CTE should be sympathetic to those old-timers. And to an extent you can feel bad for some guys who had really short careers due to injury. But these are the (now well-known) risks of playing pro football.