• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cueto

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I suppose it was -- sit it out with pay or gamble on the 50 games.

The Cueto injury cycle smells really fishy to me. Now that I think back to the NLDS, gotta wonder ... did the Reds test JC? That's when Braun was tested -- in the playoffs.

Either way, believe what you want about him. He's not going to pitch for Cincy this year and the sunshine seekers who keep thinking "When our staff is at full strength ...." ah ... no. Marshall is done, and Cueto is done.

Johnny Cueto not yet cleared to begin throwing
-- CBSSports.com
A return to the rotation is starting to look unlikely for Reds starting pitcher Johnny Cueto, who received discouraging news in his recovery from a strained lat Saturday.

With just two weeks remaining in the minor-league season, it appears unlikely Cueto will have a chance to begin a minor-league rehab assignment. He has been out since June 29 with this injury, and it is not clear if he will be able to return to the club before the season ends.

An MRI of his strain showed that it has not yet healed, despite his efforts in a strengthening program. As a result, he has not yet been able to begin a throwing program

"They showed basically about 75 percent of the strain is healed," trainer Paul Lessard told the Cincinnati Enquirer. "He's going to continue to do the strengthening stuff for another week and then we'll re-scan him again and see if that 25 percent has closed up."

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could see it. But knowing the Reds and their medical staff, I would say it's more likely their ineptness than the juice.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You never know anymore.

I don't buy into the Tiant turn as a problem- it's his right lat, correct ? I would believe that little turn does use some body movement- swing back to the plate- to aid momentum from other than just arm and back...more importantly, it aids in keeping him closed- his major flaw prior to the turn was flying open and off the mound toward 1b. His control got better with the turn.

I have little confidence in the Reds med staff. I don't believe that bringing him back as a reliever accomplishes anything- he left all his injured starts early. They need him to be healed before they bring him back- that was the real reason he had to go back on the DL- he wasn't healed. That probably means next spring.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cueto and the Tiant Turn need a second or third look, I'd agree.
Not sure what the staff has to do with that but I'd wager Price doesn't like it. All the same, JC was pitching like a C.Y. contender. Now, he can't pitch.

I don't know anything about workout regimens ... the lat injury seems like a new form of illness that has replaced the "sore arm" as a pitcher's nightmare. Guys are out now for 6 weeks with hammy pulls ... so what ARE they training to do? Evidently there is no "Tommy John" repair for this kind of "injury."

Cueto has never impressed me as a guy who would avoid taking Vitamin S and if somebody told me he had, I'd say ... yeah, I can believe that. I would love to be wrong. Eddie Volquez was caught, hasn't been since ... maybe he's off the hook for now as a convicted offender.

MLB has its eyeballs fixed on Biogenesis and has sold that story to the public. Crack down on THOSE guys and the problem is solved. (Pssst, over here! I got some good stuff.) Selig thinks he can sell his big crackdown as the big challenge, the big decision, the big change.

Another 58 guys between here and Barbados are in the lab right now, boxing up a shipment.

They just need to lay low for another 18 months. Some of the players who need to "heal" from injuries will just have to wait for more conventional medicines. 'Roids would have fixed Cueto's problem.

I think his "staff ace" days are going to depend on more than the Tiant Turn.

MHubbuch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it will take longer than a week for Cueto to be active. then your looking at 3-4 weeks for him to be pitching ready. Make a move and find a number 1 starter.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it will take longer than a week for Cueto to be active. then your looking at 3-4 weeks for him to be pitching ready. Make a move and find a number 1 starter.

Give us the list of aces we can get on the 19th of August.

MHubbuch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Give us the list of aces we can get on the 19th of August.

there are 4 that come to mind.

1 Cliff Lee
2-Kyle Loshe
3- C.J Wilson
4- Kevin Correa

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Cueto is using PEDS, why would they hide it? they haven't anyone else. And if the Reds know it, but don't tell MLB. That is another whole mess. That can get a lot of people suspended. Cover ups are not real popular right now.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Correa is an ace?
Lohse is an ace?

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Cueto is using PEDS, why would they hide it? they haven't anyone else. And if the Reds know it, but don't tell MLB. That is another whole mess. That can get a lot of people suspended. Cover ups are not real popular right now.

If MLB discovers it, Cueto gets 50 games without pay and a first offense.
If the team knows it and lets him flush out on his own, he will still miss the games anyhow, but it's not an offense and he gets his pay.

A coverup would be pretty nasty but nobody has paid any penalties yet -- most clubhouses know who the roiders were/are.

Could be, he's really hurt and PED's has nothing to do with it.

bengaldoug

former pessimistic homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there are 4 that come to mind.

1 Cliff Lee
2-Kyle Loshe
3- C.J Wilson
4- Kevin Correa

The only ace on that list is Lee, and he would cost the sun, the moon, and the stars. Besides, we already have an ace in Latos, and I wouldn't trade our fifth starter for any of those guys, even Lee, given his age.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd deal for Wilson, maybe. Front-line lefty isn't going to clear waivers on Aug. 19.
Why are we even discussing this?