• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Crown Jewel

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was a paid Saudi to write negative things about the Saudi Prince then goes into a Saudi embassy, to me its truly hard to get behind this is a geopolitical incident. If the outrage is because he is paid by an American to write then I think the morals of the outraged person is jacked up. The stuff they do to women and children is something to be outraged over and to cancel the show over not this. IMO it is just hard to ignore every other human rights violations but care about a guy who trolls the Saudi’s.

But this wasn't a guy "who trolled the Saudis". This is a guy who brought the issue to light

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But this wasn't a guy "who trolled the Saudis". This is a guy who brought the issue to light

Not really though, everyone in the world knows all the horrible things that country does and have turned a blind eye since before I was born. He has been paid by the Post to essentially troll the new Crown Prince because he doesn’t like him and his fake attempts at reforms. Like I’ve said, I just really don’t even see this incident as any issue whatsoever because nobody seemed to care that they scheduled an event there where that this stuff happens and the western world doesn’t bat an eye. I just think it is massively hypocritical by people who want the event moved now but were ok with them having it to begin with.

I’m definitely not saying I am correct and everyone else is wrong, and am sorry if that is how is coming off. Im just trying to understand why now it is uncomfortable now just because of one murder compared to the thousands of reasons to be uncomfortable with the WWE doing shows in any country where part of their roster isn’t welcome.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
He was a paid Saudi to write negative things about the Saudi Prince then goes into a Saudi embassy, to me its truly hard to get behind this is a geopolitical incident. If the outrage is because he is paid by an American to write then I think the morals of the outraged person is jacked up. The stuff they do to women and children is something to be outraged over and to cancel the show over not this. IMO it is just hard to ignore every other human rights violations but care about a guy who trolls the Saudi’s.

For full disclosure I'm an American born citizen but of an immigrant family so I probably have different perspective on the issue and his status.

It's not that I condoned anything else done by the Saudi government but international politics can be intricate and I don't have an informed opinion on what's going on in every country in the world at all times. For me this particular issue is black and white.

Anyway there's no reason to go in circles on it. If other people feel comfortable watching the show that's their right.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For full disclosure I'm an American born citizen but of an immigrant family so I probably have different perspective on the issue and his status.

It's not that I condoned anything else done by the Saudi government but international politics can be intricate and I don't have an informed opinion on what's going on in every country in the world at all times. For me this particular issue is black and white.

Anyway there's no reason to go in circles on it. If other people feel comfortable watching the show that's their right.

I get can understand your view and a majority of people’s view. I actually was semi for this because the prince is doing some half assed reforms in Saudi Arabia but as you have said I was uncomfortable with it because women still aren’t welcome and Americans can’t tour the entire country. I just can’t see it as black and white now as opposed to when it was announced, but I can understand and respect your opinion.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really though, everyone in the world knows all the horrible things that country does and have turned a blind eye since before I was born. He has been paid by the Post to essentially troll the new Crown Prince because he doesn’t like him and his fake attempts at reforms. Like I’ve said, I just really don’t even see this incident as any issue whatsoever because nobody seemed to care that they scheduled an event there where that this stuff happens and the western world doesn’t bat an eye. I just think it is massively hypocritical by people who want the event moved now but were ok with them having it to begin with.

I’m definitely not saying I am correct and everyone else is wrong, and am sorry if that is how is coming off. Im just trying to understand why now it is uncomfortable now just because of one murder compared to the thousands of reasons to be uncomfortable with the WWE doing shows in any country where part of their roster isn’t welcome.

This isn't entirely true. There was a sizable portion of the audience that was against Saudi Arabia getting a show because of all its history and current events (like Yemen) and they got slammed fairly hard for literally running propaganda pieces for the Sauds. But it was just contained to the wrestling audience. Since SA murdered that journalist and gotten the world's attention, you're also seeing more of a backlash coming at WWE from outside voices to go along with those that didn't like the first show. There's more people paying attention

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This isn't entirely true. There was a sizable portion of the audience that was against Saudi Arabia getting a show because of all its history and current events (like Yemen) and they got slammed fairly hard for literally running propaganda pieces for the Sauds. But it was just contained to the wrestling audience. Since SA murdered that journalist and gotten the world's attention, you're also seeing more of a backlash coming at WWE from outside voices to go along with those that didn't like the first show. There's more people paying attention

This is where I’m coming from, people who were against it from the get go or we’re uncomfortable is where I’m at and to me isn’t hypocritical. I’m trying to get, but not sure I’ll ever get to, understanding someone who was for it before, but now is against it. And in a larger sense of how it upsets me that the world suddenly cares because of one murder of a guy on asylum but chooses to go into a SA embassy in another dangerous country like Turkey as opposed to all the other terrible things they do to women, children etc.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is where I’m coming from, people who were against it from the get go or we’re uncomfortable is where I’m at and to me isn’t hypocritical. I’m trying to get, but not sure I’ll ever get to, understanding someone who was for it before, but now is against it. And in a larger sense of how it upsets me that the world suddenly cares because of one murder of a guy on asylum but chooses to go into a SA embassy in another dangerous country like Turkey as opposed to all the other terrible things they do to women, children etc.

I can see that. But its just different things for different people. For some, it could be that he's a journalist (an American one at that) and the free press thing is a deal breaker for them. For others, it could this situation actually woke them up to more atrocities that SA has been apart of so its changed their stance from where they were before. Or it could be maybe they actually bought into that SA was legitimately trying to change but this situation proves that they aren't. It could be any number of things that changes a person's mind.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see that. But its just different things for different people. For some, it could be that he's a journalist (an American one at that) and the free press thing is a deal breaker for them. For others, it could this situation actually woke them up to more atrocities that SA has been apart of so its changed their stance from where they were before. Or it could be maybe they actually bought into that SA was legitimately trying to change but this situation proves that they aren't. It could be any number of things that changes a person's mind.

I guess can understand. Just, to me, holding a big event there was the black and white issue. Which may be an issue I have, to me it was either you were just turning a blind eye or not. Hope and all is wonderful but I’m more of a show me before I would commit. I know the WWE will/would make a crap load of money but I’d just prefer they would have done the show me first (like not despise half of their roster). We can all agree to disagree which is fine I’m just trying to understand how one Saudi reporter dying is some turning event but Saudi’s doing all their other despicable things to women kind of flies in the face of their “evolution” and beatings of children is somehow less important to the WWE and now fans.

Like I said we can all agree to disagree I’m just trying to find a different perspective of how I feel and am trying to understand it. After all that’s what this conversation has been and has been Civil compared to 99% of conversations about that subject, but this one hits home most to the WWE because unintentionally they have become the moral compass of the western world.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think the WWE should cancel this event. Given everything happening in Saudi Arabia now it's bad optics to stay with this event. Last thing the WWE needs now is bad optics.

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is being reported that Cena and Bryan and refusing to work the show now. They have got to cancel this show.
John Cena Reportedly Refusing To Work On WWE Crown Jewel Card
Except they can't. They've already passed the decision point for canceling the show per PWInsider.com and have made the decision to go ahead. WWE didn't force anybody to do the first show much as they never forced anybody to do the troop tribute shows held in combat zones.

If either of those 2 pull out, WWE will just replace them and the show will go on, just like last night. After last night, WWE can't afford to cancel a show slated to fill their vacant Universal title. Unless some additional major incident happens to change WWE and/or the talents minds, anyone hoping WWE cancels the show is just pissing into the wind.

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PWInsider.com is reporting that WWE's advance staff is scheduled to leave for Saudi Arabia tomorrow with the rest scheduled to go after the next set of TV tapings. They said the talk at this week's TV among staffers was about traveling to Saudi Arabia, so everyone is under the impression they are going as nothing else has been communicated to them by management.

CROWN JEWEL UPDATES | PWInsider.com

Unless something changes very very fast, Crown Jewel in SA is a go.

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PWInsider.com just reported this:

"In their financial filing this morning, World Wrestling Entertainment confirmed they would be holding the 11/2 Crown Jewel event in Saudi Arabia next Friday.

WWE's statement on the matter in their 2018 Third Quarter financial reporting reads:

"WWE has operated in the Middle East for nearly 20 years and has developed a sizable and dedicated fan base. Considering the heinous crime committed at the Saudi consulate in Istanbul, the Company faced a very difficult decision as it relates to its event scheduled for November 2 in Riyadh. Similar to other U.S.-based companies who plan to continue operations in Saudi Arabia, the Company has decided to uphold its contractual obligations to the General Sports Authority and stage the event. Full year 2018 guidance is predicated on the staging of the Riyadh event as scheduled."

As PWInsider.com reported yesterday, a number of WWE staffers were flown to Saudi Arabia to prepare for the Crown Jewel event on 11/2. Additional staffers are slated to fly over the next several days with the wrestlers heading out after WWE's TV taping.

The Crown Jewel event is the second live event staged as part of a ten year deal with the Kingdom's General Sports Authority."

Here's the link: WWE CONFIRMS CROWN JEWEL WILL BE HELD IN SAUDI ARABIA | PWInsider.com

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PWInsider.com just reported this:

"In their financial filing this morning, World Wrestling Entertainment confirmed they would be holding the 11/2 Crown Jewel event in Saudi Arabia next Friday.

WWE's statement on the matter in their 2018 Third Quarter financial reporting reads:

"WWE has operated in the Middle East for nearly 20 years and has developed a sizable and dedicated fan base. Considering the heinous crime committed at the Saudi consulate in Istanbul, the Company faced a very difficult decision as it relates to its event scheduled for November 2 in Riyadh. Similar to other U.S.-based companies who plan to continue operations in Saudi Arabia, the Company has decided to uphold its contractual obligations to the General Sports Authority and stage the event. Full year 2018 guidance is predicated on the staging of the Riyadh event as scheduled."

As PWInsider.com reported yesterday, a number of WWE staffers were flown to Saudi Arabia to prepare for the Crown Jewel event on 11/2. Additional staffers are slated to fly over the next several days with the wrestlers heading out after WWE's TV taping.

The Crown Jewel event is the second live event staged as part of a ten year deal with the Kingdom's General Sports Authority."

Here's the link: WWE CONFIRMS CROWN JEWEL WILL BE HELD IN SAUDI ARABIA | PWInsider.com

They were screwed but they are a private company and IMO shouldn’t have to be, nor has the most prosperous period in their history, the moral compass of the USA.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t care that they are going there but it is embarrassing that they are being paid to push the saudi’s Propaganda for the Saudi government

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t care that they are going there but it is embarrassing that they are being paid to push the saudi’s Propaganda for the Saudi government

Now this is where I completely agree with people who want them to not go. You can’t continue to say the country is sunshine and rainbows.

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very disappointing they are still doing the show. But, money talks, missing ambassadors don't.