• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Crabtree Gone To Raiders

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Giving up on his career even before the age of 30. Possibly our biggest bust pick in the last 15 years when you consider where he was picked and the hype he had coming into the league.

I don't think you can say "biggest bust" when we took a first round WR who never caught a pass for the team and a DL who had 11 solo tackles, 8 assists, and no sacks. Crabtree was never great, but he had several solid years and one extremely good half-season pre-Achilles. He's a disappointment, but not an outright bust IMO.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giving up on his career even before the age of 30. Possibly our biggest bust pick in the last 15 years when you consider where he was picked and the hype he had coming into the league.

he isn't close to being the biggest bust pick. I can make a list of former first round picks who were even bigger busts.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think you can say "biggest bust" when we took a first round WR who never caught a pass for the team and a DL who had 11 solo tackles, 8 assists, and no sacks. Crabtree was never great, but he had several solid years and one extremely good half-season pre-Achilles. He's a disappointment, but not an outright bust IMO.
Or Balmar

optimist4720

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Actually both Jj Stokes and Crabtree were taken at#10 overall and both didn't live up to expectations. Both very similar in terms of being only possession receiver with no top end speed. Busts?...no they actually played..but just didn't live up to the hype or being worth anywhere near #10 overall. Lesson learned....avoid the #10 pick wide receiver jinks...so don't trade up to #10 with Lambs is the plan...

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually both Jj Stokes and Crabtree were taken at#10 overall and both didn't live up to expectations. Both very similar in terms of being only possession receiver with no top end speed. Busts?...no they actually played..but just didn't live up to the hype or being worth anywhere near #10 overall. Lesson learned....avoid the #10 pick wide receiver jinks...so don't trade up to #10 with Lambs is the plan...
I wouldn't consider either a 'bust' as well but Crabs came in crying(and injured) for top money . I was shocked when the 9ers caved in for him. Big mistake IMO. JJ was never the answer to Rice and TO and that was obvious but the real issue here is that there is no real jinx ,just bad WR picks.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Busts is probably a bit strong. I think Crabtree was better than Stokes. I still think Crabtree could have been a good receiver had he been able to stay healthy. I don't think Stokes had what it takes to be a good NFL receiver. When comparing, Stokes also played in a more prolific passing offense with Steve Young for a part of his career and never came close to 1,000 yards.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I wouldn't consider either a 'bust' as well but Crabs came in crying(and injured) for top money . I was shocked when the 9ers caved in for him. Big mistake IMO. JJ was never the answer to Rice and TO and that was obvious but the real issue here is that there is no real jinx ,just bad WR picks.

Wait, what? How did they cave? They gave him basically the amount he was slotted at, and got him for a sixth year on his rookie deal.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see how Balmer or Jenkins should be could considered bigger bust. They were both near end of the 1st round picks with little to no hype coming out of college. They were roll of the dice picks that just didn't pan out. Crabtree was one of the best WR's to come out of college football in a long time and a top 10 pick. He was suppose to be the next Rice/TO type receiver on our team. We gave him every opportunity to prove himself at this level and where is he now? taking a 1 year deal with career ending Raiders. That's a long ways from being a top 5 receiver in this league and no where near the big pay day he was looking for.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see how Balmer or Jenkins should be could considered bigger bust. They were both near end of the 1st round picks with little to no hype coming out of college. They were roll of the dice picks that just didn't pan out. Crabtree was one of the best WR's to come out of college football in a long time and a top 10 pick. He was suppose to be the next Rice/TO type receiver on our team. We gave him every opportunity to prove himself at this level and where is he now? taking a 1 year deal with career ending Raiders. That's a long ways from being a top 5 receiver in this league and no where near the big pay day he was looking for.

There isn't a strict defination of what a bust is, so it depends on how you want to define it. Crabtree had a 1,000 yard season and was always a part of the offense. Jenkins might have been drafted later in the first round, but for a first round draft pick to not even have a catch in the regular season and get released/traded the following season to me is a much bigger bust. While I would factor in draft position, I don't factor in predraft hype. The Raiders drafted Heward Bey at number 7. It was regarded as a big stretch by Al Davis. To me, that doesn't change my view that was even a bigger bust than Crabtree.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

If true, then that makes them busts. You don't use a first round pick on roll of the dice picks.

Crabtree was a WR with dubious speed coming out, who had a foot injury when drafted. He played three-and-a-half seasons with a QB who has averaged throwing 710 yards passing yards and 4.4 TDs to his #1 WR. And he's dealt with additional injuries. He's a disappointment, for sure, but he's not an outright bust. And nowhere near the level of absolutely wasted picks like Jenkins and Balmer.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 506.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crabtree underperformed his draft status. His overall results are at the level of a "great value" 4th rounder.

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't say Crabtree is a bust. But I also don't think it's completely fair to say that he has under-performed either. Prior to getting injured, he was playing with Alex Smith who is known for not being able to utilize his WR's in two different organizations.

This would be a completely different story if he was playing with Tom Brady.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't say Crabtree is a bust. But I also don't think it's completely fair to say that he has under-performed either. Prior to getting injured, he was playing with Alex Smith who is known for not being able to utilize his WR's in two different organizations.

This would be a completely different story if he was playing with Tom Brady.

No doubt he would have better numbers playing with Brady. I think when analyzing players, you could say that about alot of players. If only they had played on X team. I think he has been a disappointment in SF, caused in part by injuries.

smackdown380

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
He can now train Cooper on how to sit out, ask for money and throw a QB under the buss (when he said who is "Alex Smith").