• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cowboys will be $31M over cap

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The most important and relevant question for the Boys is, "are you in a better position come 2014?"

I think not.

As a skins fan, "been there, done that." We are definitely in a better place now, based on our decisions in the past 3-4 years.

Krusheasy

Still Not a Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 474.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why do all skins know so much more then I do ? It makes me want to flip out and start throwing BS at cars driving by whenever skins fans prove me to an uber homer

:fify:

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think anyone is flipping out Fordman but if the script was flipped and the skins were in a cap bind like Dallas is/will be I'd only imagine what would be posted.

Probably about the same as the script being flipped and the Skins not being in first place...not much.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The most important and relevant question for the Boys is, "are you in a better position come 2014?"

I think not.

As a skins fan, "been there, done that." We are definitely in a better place now, based on our decisions in the past 3-4 years.

I think the most important question is what do you do with it. You can have tons of cap space and win nothing, or be in cap hell and win nothing. But being in either and winning something is all that matters. If Dallas has used its cap room to lock up the future and we win and are in the running for a stroll into the playoffs then it is worth it.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the most important question is what do you do with it. You can have tons of cap space and win nothing, or be in cap hell and win nothing. But being in either and winning something is all that matters. If Dallas has used its cap room to lock up the future and we win and are in the running for a stroll into the playoffs then it is worth it.

Can't disagree with the winning part. Only time will give us that answer.

Neither of our teams has been to the dance in way too long tho'. And both teams have spent lots of dollars with no ultimate prize. I prefer to be in the skins situation today. I NEVER supported deals like Fat Albert, Donovan or the Cerrato years of pay later. I thought Snyder was an idiot until he decided to STEP away.

You"re a fan of the boys, i get it. Its all cool if you back their cap decisions or feel the need to defend it. Personally Jerry would worry me. Hell, Snyder still worries me at times.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't disagree with the winning part. Only time will give us that answer.

Neither of our teams has been to the dance in way too long tho'. And both teams have spent lots of dollars with no ultimate prize. I prefer to be in the skins situation today. I NEVER supported deals like Fat Albert, Donovan or the Cerrato years of pay later. I thought Snyder was an idiot until he decided to STEP away.

You"re a fan of the boys, i get it. Its all cool if you back their cap decisions or feel the need to defend it. Personally Jerry would worry me. Hell, Snyder still worries me at times.

Several huge differences for the Skins heading into this offseason compared to offseasons in the past (prior to the cap penalties). For starters it appears as if they have their franchise QB which makes everything else much easier. Secondly - they appear to not favor going after primarily big name FAs and focus more on younger players that can make an impact over the long haul. This is not say that they won't go after a big name or two, but it will be well thought out & not the complete focus for the free agency period.

Lastly - they truly appear to have left the football decisions to the people who actually know football which is huge. I believe that they will maintain this approach even if/when Shananan and/or Allen are gone.

Will all of this result in big improvements? Who knows since - as Fordman indicated - luck is also a factor. However - I feel as confident in them making the right choices than at any other pt for the Skins in quite a while.

Kevin12773

Boomer Sooner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Several huge differences for the Skins heading into this offseason compared to offseasons in the past (prior to the cap penalties). For starters it appears as if they have their franchise QB which makes everything else much easier. Secondly - they appear to not favor going after primarily big name FAs and focus more on younger players that can make an impact over the long haul. This is not say that they won't go after a big name or two, but it will be well thought out & not the complete focus for the free agency period.

Lastly - they truly appear to have left the football decisions to the people who actually know football which is huge. I believe that they will maintain this approach even if/when Shananan and/or Allen are gone.

Will all of this result in big improvements? Who knows since - as Fordman indicated - luck is also a factor. However - I feel as confident in them making the right choices than at any other pt for the Skins in quite a while.
Spot on SoCal

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting note on this

Cowboys want to trade but can't afford to

spacer.gif

ad_choices_i_UR.png

Cowboys want to trade but can't afford to

The Dallas Cowboys would love to make a trade before the deadline to shore up their chances of winning the NFC East but are finding it hard to make a deal according to Charean Williams of te Fort Worth Star-Telegram.
"We’re certainly open to it,” Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones said. “I know our guys are working back there. I’m working. If the right situation presented itself, we would certainly do something. I mean, it’s no secret we’re moving a lot of guys in and out in our defensive line and that will probably continue to be the case. I think we already have some workouts scheduled for Monday. We’re just taking a look at guys. . . .“But we certainly would look at any type of situation there if the right deal was there, but we also can’t, for a quick fix, do something that would hurt long term.”
The biggest hurdle for the Cowboys is not the talent available for trade but the salary cap hell they find themselves in. They were already limited in what moves they could make because of salary cap penalties, have only about $2 million in current cap space available, and are projected to be over $30 million over the cap in 2014. Quite frankly, it is doubtful the Jones could afford to sign anyone worth having even if they find a willing trade partner and and the talent to help their team right now and in the future.

Nope.. no problems here.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
dated: 26 October 2013 12:03 PM
Grantland.com's Bill Barnwell spent a significant amount of time breaking down just how the Cowboys got into a situation where they were $31 million over the salary cap next year and then devised a plan for them to dig out.
The problem? Long contract extensions to players already on the roster. The players eventually ended up not living up to their contracts, causing the Cowboys to either release them or trade them and creating a significant amount of dead money on the salary.
This is most prevalent at the running back position, Barnwell points out: DeMarco Murray replaced Felix Jones who replaced Marion Barber who replaced Julius Jones who replaced Eddie George, and now the Cowboys may have to move on from Murray.
"Nobody misjudges and overpays the talent on hand more than Jerry Jones and his organization," Barnwell wrote, then pointed out almost an entire team of bad contract extensions: Barber, Terry Glenn, Patrick Crayton, Terrell Owens, Roy Williams, Miles Austin, Doug Free, Marc Colombo, Andre Gurode, Marcus Spears, Jay Ratliff, Terrence Newman, Orlando Scandrick, Gerald Sensabaugh, Roy Williams and Ken Hamlin.
So what do the Cowboys do to dig themselves out of this salary cap hole? Barnwell has a three-step solution:
1. Restructure the contracts of Tony Romo, Brandon Carr, Sean Lee, Jason Witten.
2. Release Doug Free
3. Release Miles Austin after June 1, so they can spread his cap hit over more than one season.
Barnwell estimates those moves will save the Cowboys $31 million. To get some breathing room, it might be time to say good bye to defensive end DeMarcus Ware in 2014 or 2015. His cap hit would be too big for the Cowboys to keep him and the rest of their core players.
"The Cowboys just can't afford to keep him and Romo while giving big contracts to Bryant and Smith, while the contracts to Lee and Carr will be too onerous to move," Barnwell wrote.

this doesnt bode well at all . gee i wonder if ware would find his way to the skins roster ? (wont happen but it is a thought ) :wtf2: