• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cowboys coaching philosphy

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
flat sucks. Seems like they always play not to lose instead of playing to win. Get a lead & back it down. Lose the lead & try to rev it back up. Still don't know why we played such a vanilla Defense this weekend? Granted I missed the 1st half so don't know how they played it then, but in the 2nd half they were very basic. The coaching philosophy is just driving me nuts! All year we have been aggressive & things looked pretty good.

I would rather lose big trying to win than lose a close game trying not to lose. :gaah:

blue jersey jinx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
flat sucks. Seems like they always play not to lose instead of playing to win. Get a lead & back it down. Lose the lead & try to rev it back up. Still don't know why we played such a vanilla Defense this weekend? Granted I missed the 1st half so don't know how they played it then, but in the 2nd half they were very basic. The coaching philosophy is just driving me nuts! All year we have been aggressive & things looked pretty good.

I would rather lose big trying to win than lose a close game trying not to lose. :gaah:
The best, yes man that gets on his knees for Jerry is up for the next coaching position.

Andresrenee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

All that happened in the 2nd half is what the Giants did to us...they hurried up and went West Coast on us. MO and the safeties and linebackers can't hold up. Pretty simple. Mo is pretty unique in that he is a waste of not only a first round but also a 2nd round pick. Monte's time has passed him by......in a passing league.

blue jersey jinx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All that happened in the 2nd half is what the Giants did to us...they hurried up and went West Coast on us. MO and the safeties and linebackers can't hold up. Pretty simple. Mo is pretty unique in that he is a waste of not only a first round but also a 2nd round pick. Monte's time has passed him by......in a passing league.
As much as the defense and coaching sucked, we can't let the offense off the hook either. How many points did we score in the 2nd half after making adjustments at half time?

Andresrenee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
As much as the defense and coaching sucked, we can't let the offense off the hook either. How many points did we score in the 2nd half after making adjustments at half time?
True. We scored 14 points on offense against a horrible, horrible defense. This team has more holes than Swiss cheese. We averaged over 5 yards per carry yet threw 21 more times....go figure....

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Halftime adjustments separate the real Head Coaches in the NFL from the ones who just aren't ready. The Cowboys get shelled in this area. We are always a step behind, both sides of the ball. This week, the Chiefs game, even the win vs the Giants

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True. We scored 14 points on offense against a horrible, horrible defense. This team has more holes than Swiss cheese. We averaged over 5 yards per carry yet threw 21 more times....go figure....

THIS! Its number of ATTEMPTS JG. Back to throwing twice as much as we run, total fail

Mrhappi06

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's a Cowboys coaching philosophy?

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cowboys wont commit to running the ball. The rookie 83 will be good,but he is killing the offense. I trust harris and beasly. The loss of spencer,crawford and ratliff hs hurt the defense

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

From the time the Dallas Cowboys took a 21-10 lead with 1:19 left in the second quarter, thanks to Sean Lee’s 52-yard interception return for a touchdown, to the time the San Diego Chargers took a 23-21 lead with 14:50 left in the fourth quarter, Romo and the offense ran seven plays.

Seven. That’s it. For the entire third quarter.

By the time the Cowboys ran their 15th play of the second half, the Chargers upped their lead to what turned out to be the final score, 30-21.

During that time span, Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers managed 37 plays for 310 yards on four drives that led to 20 points.

For those who will criticize the Cowboys' lack of a running game, they were never in a position to really run the ball because they did not have the ball much.

On the Cowboys’ first drive of the second half after a 10-play, 80-yard touchdown drive by San Diego, Dez Bryant was unable to hold on to a sideline throw from Romo on third down, worrying about tapping his feet inbounds. On their second drive of the second half after a 13-play, 84-yard drive by the Chargers, a Ronald Leary holding penalty wiped out a first-down pass to Cole Beasley at the San Diego 32. Two plays later Jason Witten was unable to come up with a Romo throw down the seam on third down.

“You’ve got to make those plays,”

Pretty much the story....yet.....let's blame the coaches anyways

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From the time the Dallas Cowboys took a 21-10 lead with 1:19 left in the second quarter, thanks to Sean Lee’s 52-yard interception return for a touchdown, to the time the San Diego Chargers took a 23-21 lead with 14:50 left in the fourth quarter, Romo and the offense ran seven plays.

Seven. That’s it. For the entire third quarter.

By the time the Cowboys ran their 15th play of the second half, the Chargers upped their lead to what turned out to be the final score, 30-21.

During that time span, Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers managed 37 plays for 310 yards on four drives that led to 20 points.

For those who will criticize the Cowboys' lack of a running game, they were never in a position to really run the ball because they did not have the ball much.

On the Cowboys’ first drive of the second half after a 10-play, 80-yard touchdown drive by San Diego, Dez Bryant was unable to hold on to a sideline throw from Romo on third down, worrying about tapping his feet inbounds. On their second drive of the second half after a 13-play, 84-yard drive by the Chargers, a Ronald Leary holding penalty wiped out a first-down pass to Cole Beasley at the San Diego 32. Two plays later Jason Witten was unable to come up with a Romo throw down the seam on third down.

“You’ve got to make those plays,”

Pretty much the story....yet.....let's blame the coaches anyways

Thats spin. It's a bottom line business. At the end of the season, look up the number of times we ran the ball anywhere near as much as we passed it. Then check our W/L in those games. This was a close game. Trying a 57 yard field goal with an 11 point lead was absurd. Gave them the ball on the 47 and basically gave them 3 points. Thats on the coach. Take away that 3, and even at the final gun it's a 1 score game. But we were too out of it to run the ball? Please....Look at our team in the second halves this year once the halftime adjustments are made. JG is getting tore up from the floor up

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm on my best behavior this season. It's hard but I'm doing everything I can not to cat fight the bull shit points. What tends to make it hard at times is the poster who basically repeats the opinions of that day's sports talk station. Overreaction Monday is a great term coined by Galloway's group.

Was it Ray Lewis and the Ravens that said they knew everything Dallas was going to run a few seasons back? Did many say on the Disney page for multiple seasons that in game adjustments were a problem for Dallas? I think that's been the statement for the last two years anyways.

Now...Lee scores and Dallas has 7 plays then we're in the 4th qtr because Bryant drops a 1st down ball on SD's end of the field and then we're down two. Holding stops a 1st down at SD 32 and then Witten drops a catchable ball. Now we're down 9. Do we need to run more? Yes! Are they more committed to running the football? I think so but they will always be a 60/40 pass to run team and they should be. Do I think KC and SD were sure wins? NO!....not after what I've seen in Dallas for the last 6 years. Do I think this teams defensive coaches shoulda changed up to man when it was clear SD's game plan was RB & TE and quick releases? More than you will ever know. Do I think this last game defines this season? NO I don't.

no spin to it, but then again....somebody has to be overreaction Monday.

Last edited by a moderator:

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm on my best behavior this season. It's hard but I'm doing everything I can not to cat fight the bull shit points. What tends to make it hard at times is the poster who basically repeats the opinions of that day's sports talk station. Overreaction Monday is a great term coined by Galloway's group.

Was it Ray Lewis and the Ravens that said they knew everything Dallas was going to run a few seasons back? Did many say on the Disney page for multiple seasons that in game adjustments were a problem for Dallas? I think that's been the statement for the last two years anyways.

Now...Lee scores and Dallas has 7 plays then we're in the 4th qtr because Bryant drops a 1st down ball on SD's end of the field and then we're down two. Holding stops a 1st down at SD 32 and then Witten drops a catchable ball. Now we're down 9. Do we need to run more? Yes! Are they more committed to running the football? I think so but they will always be a 60/40 pass to run team and they should be. Do I think KC and SD were sure wins? NO!....not after what I've seen in Dallas for the last 6 years. Do I think this teams defensive coaches shoulda changed up to man when it was clear SD's game plan was RB & TE and quick releases? More than you will ever know. Do I think this last game defines this season? NO I don't.

no spin to it, but then again....somebody has to be overreaction Monday.

I don't want to argue with other Cowboys fans, I get enough of that from the Skins. All I will say about your post is that the key word was ''drops''. Maybe what kills me is seeing us take a sack on first down and then having to throw it 2 more times before going 3 and out. Maybe if we ran it a little more on 1st down, we wouldn't have to throw it so much. And an occasional run on 3rd and 3 against 6 in the box wouldn't hurt. It could be as much about when we run to me

Andresrenee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
The BS points? Really? You are going there. This teAm averaged over 5 yards per carry and yet passed 21 more times. You sir are making the point for all of us who advocate running more. When you pass, there is only one good thing that can happen versus 3 bad. Imperfect throws and drops happen and hence why it is difficult to sustain drives when you are pass happy. Also, the lack of time of possession wears down the your defense. This team was out coached and outclassed by another average team with a porous defense and patchwork offensive line. Yes, our key players did not make the big plays but once again the coaches and GM did them no favors.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The BS points? Really? You are going there. This teAm averaged over 5 yards per carry and yet passed 21 more times. You sir are making the point for all of us who advocate running more. When you pass, there is only one good thing that can happen versus 3 bad. Imperfect throws and drops happen and hence why it is difficult to sustain drives when you are pass happy. Also, the lack of time of possession wears down the your defense. This team was out coached and outclassed by another average team with a porous defense and patchwork offensive line. Yes, our key players did not make the big plays but once again the coaches and GM did them no favors.

let me slow it down for you.
N O T O N E P E R S O N I S S A Y I N G T H I S T E A M D O E S N ' T N E E D T O R U N T H E
F O O T B A L L

the ratio was good with 1.5 minutes to go in the first half, we run 7 plays shoot ourselves in the foot and it's the 4th QTR and we're down 2. We run 7 more plays and again shoot ourselves in the foot and we're down 9 points.

One week doesn't define jack. Lets play a few more before we pronounce anything is all I'm saying.

Say...who's third in the league is rushing at this time.
Maybe, just maybe you guys are getting ahead of yourselves. Regardless....the best you can hope for is 60/40 pass to run.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thats spin. It's a bottom line business. At the end of the season, look up the number of times we ran the ball anywhere near as much as we passed it. Then check our W/L in those games. This was a close game. Trying a 57 yard field goal with an 11 point lead was absurd. Gave them the ball on the 47 and basically gave them 3 points. Thats on the coach. Take away that 3, and even at the final gun it's a 1 score game. But we were too out of it to run the ball? Please....Look at our team in the second halves this year once the halftime adjustments are made. JG is getting tore up from the floor up

Not sure how it is spin when it is a FACT players have to make plays. This team let too many opportunities slip through their fingers yesterday. The team did note execute when it had too. Offense and defense failed us.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like they always play not to lose instead of playing to win.

Wasn't Garrett criticzed for kicking the 56 yard FG? That is an aggressive call and not playing "not to lose".

I agree on running the ball more. It seems to me that we always give up on running when we are down by a score or two even if there is a lot of time left on the clock. I don't worry about single digit leads unless there is only a few minutes left in the game. You are always two possessions and a stop away from the lead. There is no reason to move away from running the ball from what I have seen this year. The defense needs to get the ball back to the Offense, but the Offense needs to dictate our game plan on the other team, especially when we aren't seeing 8 or 9 in the box. That being said, if our Defense doesn't step up against the Broncos we may be throwing it all over the place this week, which is OK if the flow of the game dictates, but not if we are only down a couple of scores. This will be a big test for our secondary and the 4 man pass rush needs to get to Manning, becasue I think he will kill us if we blitz too much. I hope Ware is 100% this week, because I think that was a problem for us last week.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wasn't Garrett criticzed for kicking the 56 yard FG? That is an aggressive call and not playing "not to lose".

I agree on running the ball more. It seems to me that we always give up on running when we are down by a score or two even if there is a lot of time left on the clock. I don't worry about single digit leads unless there is only a few minutes left in the game. You are always two possessions and a stop away from the lead. There is no reason to move away from running the ball from what I have seen this year. The defense needs to get the ball back to the Offense, but the Offense needs to dictate our game plan on the other team, especially when we aren't seeing 8 or 9 in the box. That being said, if our Defense doesn't step up against the Broncos we may be throwing it all over the place this week, which is OK if the flow of the game dictates, but not if we are only down a couple of scores. This will be a big test for our secondary and the 4 man pass rush needs to get to Manning, becasue I think he will kill us if we blitz too much. I hope Ware is 100% this week, because I think that was a problem for us last week.
I didn't criticize the FG. In fact I couldn't say much about the 1st half, since I missed it. Defense though in the 2nd half never really adjusted. The plays that worked at the start was working at the end against us. They stayed vanilla & allowed the Chargers to keep control of the clock & still score. This particular game. Don't think the offense was on the field enough to be able to criticize in the 2nd half. except for Witten who should have caught the pass. He seemed to start off last season slow as well. I do think with all the changes the team will improve as the year goes on, but Denver will be a very steep hill.
Although we do have one of the most predictable offenses in the league. Wish we did more runs & passes from the same formations so the defenses don't so easily know what is coming. trying to be so specialized tips our hands to the defense IMO.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't mean to state that you personally said anything about the FG. My only point was that kicking the FG there was an aggressive move and not the move of a coach playing "not to lose".