• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cowboys and Redskins losing cap space

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Sources -- Dallas Cowboys, Washington Redskins lose millions in cap space - ESPN

The NFL is taking away millions of dollars of salary-cap space belonging to the Dallas Cowboys and Washington Redskins for front-loading contracts during the uncapped 2010 season, according to league sources.

NFL Rumor Central

InsiderESPN Insider can help you keep up with the latest twists and turns of NFL free agency. Check back often for the latest buzz. Rumor Central Insider

The salary cap is projected to be $120.6 million in 2012, but the Cowboys will lose $10 million, while the Redskins will be docked $36 million in cap space, sources said.

Dallas and Washington can split the cap loss over the 2012 and '13 seasons in whatever form they prefer, with $1.6 million each going to 28 other NFL teams, the sources said.

The New Orleans Saints and Oakland Raiders are the only two teams that will not receive a portion of the money.

During the pre-lockout 2010 season, the collective bargaining agreement expired and the league operated without a salary cap.

NFC East blog

Graziano ESPN.com's Dan Graziano writes about all things NFC East in his division blog.

• Blog network: NFL Nation

According to sources, the Cowboys and Redskins took immediate cap hits during the 2010 season that normally would have been spread out over the length of the contracts, giving them an advantage that other NFL owners found unfair.

The league took an abnormally long time to release the 2012 cap number, due in part to the fact that the league was trying to decide how to handle the issues, the sources said.

According to the sources, the deductions are not termed as violations, but are part of a recent agreement the NFL and the Players Association made to raise the salary cap number while preserving benefit increases and the performance pool.

Gotta love bad shit happening to the Cowboys! Always brings a smile to my face.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
What's great is apparently every team besides the Raiders and Saints (who apparently did the same thing to lesser degree) get an extra 1.6 million in extra cap space.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'm still waiting for the unexplained reasoning/rationale that the Niners will lose a draft pick over this due to bumblefuck reasons.

Steelersrie

Go Lil E #88
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sources -- Dallas Cowboys, Washington Redskins lose millions in cap space - ESPN

The NFL is taking away millions of dollars of salary-cap space belonging to the Dallas Cowboys and Washington Redskins for front-loading contracts during the uncapped 2010 season, according to league sources.

NFL Rumor Central

InsiderESPN Insider can help you keep up with the latest twists and turns of NFL free agency. Check back often for the latest buzz. Rumor Central Insider

The salary cap is projected to be $120.6 million in 2012, but the Cowboys will lose $10 million, while the Redskins will be docked $36 million in cap space, sources said.

Dallas and Washington can split the cap loss over the 2012 and '13 seasons in whatever form they prefer, with $1.6 million each going to 28 other NFL teams, the sources said.

The New Orleans Saints and Oakland Raiders are the only two teams that will not receive a portion of the money.

During the pre-lockout 2010 season, the collective bargaining agreement expired and the league operated without a salary cap.

NFC East blog

Graziano ESPN.com's Dan Graziano writes about all things NFC East in his division blog.

• Blog network: NFL Nation

According to sources, the Cowboys and Redskins took immediate cap hits during the 2010 season that normally would have been spread out over the length of the contracts, giving them an advantage that other NFL owners found unfair.

The league took an abnormally long time to release the 2012 cap number, due in part to the fact that the league was trying to decide how to handle the issues, the sources said.

According to the sources, the deductions are not termed as violations, but are part of a recent agreement the NFL and the Players Association made to raise the salary cap number while preserving benefit increases and the performance pool.

Gotta love bad shit happening to the Cowboys! Always brings a smile to my face.

Thank you for the link and the smile! :)

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You tampered with Briggs, so you lost a pick. It's a shitty ruling, but so is creating an uncapped year and then asking teams not to take advantage of it.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This seems totally fucked up. I'd be suing over some shit like this.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny that bad shit is happening to the Cowboys.

But, I don't believe that only the Redskins and Cowboys took advantage of the uncapped year in this manner. They might have taken it to the extreme, but the talk of the town that year was loading up contracts to that year... and the way they said it, everyone was doing it.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
No wonder....I was wondering how the Skins had gotten so far under the cap this year. They use absolutely every trick conceivable, at such amazing expense. I would guess the deal here is that they and the Cowboys just took it far past the limits of general propriety, as they say......just abused the provision.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They did nothing different from any old everyday American corporation thus them being millionares/billionares.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Way to punish two teams for good business practice. Being that it is Snyder and Jones, and two of the top three revenue generating teams, I doubt this holds up.

I somewhat agree. Oh well sucks for them.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Clayton says this leaves the Skins with $18 mill in space and the Cowboys were already at the cap before they had the $10 mill added back on. Ouch.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We'll let this comment slide due to your picture.

Thanks, but I think I was fair. That is why you lost the pick, someone else asked. I agreed that it is a shitty ruling, so I feel for y'all. The uncapped year is shitty, too.

Plus if I reply to you, you get to see my avy again :)

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Clayton says this leaves the Skins with $18 mill in space and the Cowboys were already at the cap before they had the $10 mill added back on. Ouch.

Yeah but Dallas hasn't made any cuts or restructures yet. TNew is probably gone, so that should free some space by itself.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
This is gonna make it tough for the Redskins to build up a supporting cast around RGIII. Havent' really looked into it, but I've gathered they don't have to take the entire hit this season.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RG "Hey guys listen, we fucked up and left an option for an uncapped year in the last CBA. We just realized that some teams can use this as a way to get out from under some bad contracts. Do us a favor and don't do that ok!. Thanks"

Redskins: "Hey Ginger, we just figured out we signed a 900 pound tub of bacon grease to a terrible deal. Being that the uncapped year was part of the last CBA, we politely ask you to turn that request of yours around and fuck yourself."

RG: "But....please..."

Redskins: "Let's see it in writing copy boy."

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is gonna make it tough for the Redskins to build up a supporting cast around RGIII. Havent' really looked into it, but I've gathered they don't have to take the entire hit this season.

They most likely take 18 this year and another 18 next year. Or something like that.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They most likely take 18 this year and another 18 next year. Or something like that.

I think that they will do what they can this year and then post-date a contract or two. This year will sort of be a flex year and next year will be the hard year. It really s going to depend on who and what they can get tomorrow and forward. RGIII is locked at 5 essentially. There will be no #1 hit next year.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well they don't have to worry about adding first rd picks for awhile lol....