• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Covers better than the original

blindbaby

i want to bang on the drum all day
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What pisses me of is Blue Oyster Cult always played "Born to Be Wild" in concert but never made a studio recording of it. There is a live version of it on "On Your Feet or On Your Knees" that is pretty damn good.

I watched some concert footage of them playing BTBW about 30 years ago. They really did a nice rendition.

IndyAndy

I can't reMember
Paddock Stand, Section 23, Row QQ, Seat 4
Hoopla Cash
$ 545.78
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've never hear the original version of Tran kept A-Rollin' (Tiny Bradshaw - 1951), but I've heard the Yardbirds' '65 cover of it, and Aerosmith's cover is WAAY better.

P.S.: According to Wikipedia (I know, I know...) Train Kept A-Rollin was the first song that Led Zepplin learned to play after they formed the band.

... Not that this would have been too hard for Jimmy. :D

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hendrix - All Along The Watchtower

Another great cover of that tune, albeit lesser-known, is by a band out of Ann Arbor, MI called Savage Grace.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjPHJAsG48Y]Savage Grace - All Along The Watchtower .1970 - YouTube[/ame]

steveringo

People's Front of Judea
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny true story....

I've always been anti-pop industry and never listened to pop stations....

A while back I heard a song by Alien Ant Farm called "Annie Are You Ok". I thought it was pretty cool and even bought the record...

A while later - after I got married - I heard a very cheezy version of the same song on a pop station my wife was playing... I told my wife that was the worse cover I had ever heard - and she said it was Michael Jackson and it wasn't a cover... We argued for a while until we looked it up...

I actuallt said - "wow, this is one of those covers that is better than the original". Then I said something like, "Michael Jackson really does suck!"

David_son

I'm so confused
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPfAQdtguTs]Nonpoint - In the Air Tonight + Lyrics - YouTube[/ame]

David_son

I'm so confused
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny true story....

A while back I heard a song by Alien Ant Farm called "Annie Are You Ok". I thought it was pretty cool and even bought the record...

A while later - after I got married - I heard a very cheezy version of the same song on a pop station my wife was playing... I told my wife that was the worse cover I had ever heard - and she said it was Michael Jackson and it wasn't a cover... We argued for a while until we looked it up...

I actuallt said - "wow, this is one of those covers that is better than the original". Then I said something like, "Michael Jackson really does suck!"

Its called Smooth Criminal.

Banned 10x

aka Raindrop
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny true story....

Their cover of "Smooth Criminal" is actually pretty good.

Last edited by a moderator:

Banned 10x

aka Raindrop
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cowboy Junkies did a great version of Sweet Jane

Original - Velvet Underground

Cowboy Junkies version

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eva Cassidy's cover of "American Tune". Actually, I think the furthest I could go would be tying it with Paul Simon's original take.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Blue Monday". The original 1983 version by New Order wasn't bad, but so much more guts in the version that Orgy did.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAt9QTmVc7Q]Orgy - Blue Monday (Original Music Video)::: - YouTube[/ame]

packerzrule

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 30.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Freddie Scott had the hit in the 60's, but this version is much better

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtpbbJwiZso]Billy Joel-Hey Girl-Lyrics - YouTube[/ame]