• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Could we see AJ McCarron in Cincy?

Ickey Shuffle

Do you have a minute to talk about Joe Burrow?
Supporting Member Level 1
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should we go back to memory lane when McCarron faced real live zone D?

V6HHEz8.gif

:suds:

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So far what we've seen out of McCarron is low-level starter. Better than Bortles, yes, but that's also Brian Hoyer tier play. He has some chops against man, but his eyes are less than stellar and he can stare a guy down I think when the pressure is on vs zone. That's going to mean INT's. His physical toolset is very limited so any mistake he makes can and will be magnified.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice, nice, but that isn't the only play with McCarron and the 10 points at home very late in the 4th is kind of an obvious tell here. The Broncos game comes to mind as well when they switched to zone; McCarron was nowhere to be found after some success vs man.

(The Bengals talent level on offense is -seemingly- infinitely worse than it was than 2015 too while we're at it)

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oh wait, that was his playoff game wasnt it?

yuck

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he was good that day. 23-32.

but anyone who says hes anything but an NFL clip board holder needs their head examined.

Yeah, he was ok, i remember that game well, it was the one where Joey Porter was on the field and Pacman and Burfict handed the game to Pitt with 30 yards in penalties with seconds left

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, he was ok, i remember that game well, it was the one where Joey Porter was on the field and Pacman and Burfict handed the game to Pitt with 30 yards in penalties with seconds left
Yeah, he definitely could start. But well, I really doubt it. He's the guy everyone hopes for when you draft a QB in 5th, 6th, 7th. Siemian might be in that same boat in Denver. We will see.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know it was only one game, and Dalton has a $96 million contract, so he is probably not getting benched anytime soon. But, if you are the Bengals, do you at least want to see if a different QB jump-starts that team? I was shocked by how badly they got punked by the Ravens. I was still under the assumption that the Bengals had a lot of talent.

4e890e0b56988.jpeg

Whatever Dalton is as a QB seemed to peak under Hue Jackson...that said, I called this back when they lost Whitworth...they so wanted to give this kid (on a rookie contract) the reins at LT...after he failed at RT. The Bengal quietly had one of the better OLs in the game to 2 unproven OTs, seeing articles like this make you wonder why are they bothering to pay a QB almost $100 mil.

Biggest problem for Bengals' O-line? Rookie LB Carl Lawson breaking out

Huge testament for Lawson, or terrible one for the outlook of the OL.

Top 5 WR in Green, Hill/Bernard @ RB is 1500-1600 yds every year, Eifert at TE...at least 3 pro bowl caliber players on DEF...they have better than .500 talent for sure.

I'll chalk it up to one game, but imo the Bengals have plateaued with Lewis at the helm, and it's time to start anew at HC...and maybe QB too.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just to be clear, I am not saying I think AJ McCarron is good. Neither of these guys is even good. Before, Dalton was average. Now he is falling below that average threshold.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dalton is a force multiplier at the QB position. When the talent was great, so was the offense. 2015 was looking like the Bengals year for a while until Dalton went down. Now? Hollow shell of itself.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whatever Dalton is as a QB seemed to peak under Hue Jackson...that said, I called this back when they lost Whitworth...they so wanted to give this kid (on a rookie contract) the reins at LT...after he failed at RT. The Bengal quietly had one of the better OLs in the game to 2 unproven OTs, seeing articles like this make you wonder why are they bothering to pay a QB almost $100 mil.

Biggest problem for Bengals' O-line? Rookie LB Carl Lawson breaking out

Huge testament for Lawson, or terrible one for the outlook of the OL.

Top 5 WR in Green, Hill/Bernard @ RB is 1500-1600 yds every year, Eifert at TE...at least 3 pro bowl caliber players on DEF...they have better than .500 talent for sure.

I'll chalk it up to one game, but imo the Bengals have plateaued with Lewis at the helm, and it's time to start anew at HC...and maybe QB too.

You raise a good point about the offensive line investment.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, he definitely could start. But well, I really doubt it. He's the guy everyone hopes for when you draft a QB in 5th, 6th, 7th. Siemian might be in that same boat in Denver. We will see.

Yeah, i agree, he showed a flash or 2, but Dalton has shown even more than a flash or 2, so Im not feeling significant upgrade with that team if they made the change

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You raise a good point about the offensive line investment.

This was probably not Lewis' call, but they spent two high picks on these guys, Jake Fisher (2nd rd) and Ogbuehi (1st rd) to transition from two good but aging OTs and obviously more expensive than rookie contracts. Ogbuehi was given the RT job, and lost it to Fisher...because he played LT in CFB they thought he would be better at LT in the pros so they get rid of a proven player so he could play LT. Really?

Maybe it was Lewis, but something tells me the FO made the call there. A HC wouldn't make that call unless the younger player just ran the vet out.

Either way, it just doesn't make a ton of sense to have top tier weapons, but a poor OL.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, i agree, he showed a flash or 2, but Dalton has shown even more than a flash or 2, so Im not feeling significant upgrade with that team if they made the change

Dalton is a solid QB...until you put the game on his shoulders.

He's never going to be the traditional drop back 30-35 times and beat you type QB...Hue Jackson devised some plays that could get him moving in the pocket, rolling out, a snippet of read option, they had good balance in the run game, and he has very good weapons and the arm to make most all the throws. But, down 2 possessions with 8 mins to go, he's not the QB you want.

McCarron...I know the term has probably gotten a little stale now, but game manager is truly what comes to mind when he was at Bama and what else do we have to go off? Anything is better than turning it over 5 times, but I think Dalton is a better physical talent and I would stick with him for another game or two because if I have to make the switch I'd be looking to move on from Dalton permanently.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Bengals are 0-3 which would be a lock assuming they lose on Thursday then I think they don't have much of a choice

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dalton is a solid QB...until you put the game on his shoulders.

He's never going to be the traditional drop back 30-35 times and beat you type QB...Hue Jackson devised some plays that could get him moving in the pocket, rolling out, a snippet of read option, they had good balance in the run game, and he has very good weapons and the arm to make most all the throws. But, down 2 possessions with 8 mins to go, he's not the QB you want.

McCarron...I know the term has probably gotten a little stale now, but game manager is truly what comes to mind when he was at Bama and what else do we have to go off? Anything is better than turning it over 5 times, but I think Dalton is a better physical talent and I would stick with him for another game or two because if I have to make the switch I'd be looking to move on from Dalton permanently.

Agreed, goes back to the backup QB always being the most popular guy in the room

We've discussed Dalton in the past...This is a guy that has some 10 win seasons under his belt, and he is also a guy that will never win a SB IMO

But I have no reason to believe that Mccarron is that 10 win QB, nevermind winning a SB

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed, goes back to the backup QB always being the most popular guy in the room

We've discussed Dalton in the past...This is a guy that has some 10 win seasons under his belt, and he is also a guy that will never win a SB IMO

But I have no reason to believe that Mccarron is that 10 win QB, nevermind winning a SB

Dalton's dead money hit drops to almost nothing for a QB after this season...ride him out this yr...if the results are less than the playoffs...cut loose Lewis and cut loose Dalton...start over.