• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cosell column on Smith's performance

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
with the confidence everyone gained this season, can't help but think Alex will be a little less "safer" next season?

I wholeheartedly agree!

In fact, I believe this is where Smith is going to either rise or fall. If rumors that Paraag/Trent have offered Smith a two-year contract are true, that indicates, to me at least, that Harbaugh intends to open up our offense next season.

If there was total confidence that Smith could operate both productively and safely in a riskier, more wide open offense then I think we would have seen a longer contract then two-years.

I believe we go into next season with a new offense and as long as Smith is performing - he remains at the helm, otherwise, it's to the kitchen for dish duty.

And, should Smith handle the task with flying colors then the two-year contract allows us to offer an extension before FA.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I wholeheartedly agree!

In fact, I believe this is where Smith is going to either rise or fall. If rumors that Paraag/Trent have offered Smith a two-year contract are true, that indicates, to me at least, that Harbaugh intends to open up our offense next season.

If there was total confidence that Smith could operate both productively and safely in a riskier, more wide open offense then I think we would have seen a longer contract then two-years.

I believe we go into next season with a new offense and as long as Smith is performing - he remains at the helm, otherwise, it's to the kitchen for dish duty.

And, should Smith handle the task with flying colors then the two-year contract allows us to offer an extension before FA.

GM's always try to have a back-up plan, so might help to see it another way............Alex Smith is the back-up plan who is forced into duty now. the real 'future' QB will be here soon. soon as he's ready to take over he will, don't need to wait 2 years for a contract to expire.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
GM's always try to have a back-up plan, so might help to see it another way............Alex Smith is the back-up plan who is forced into duty now. the real 'future' QB will be here soon. soon as he's ready to take over he will, don't need to wait 2 years for a contract to expire.

I agree! The two years is the back-up plan to the back-up plan - meaning, that if Smith should somehow throw for ~4000Yds/~30TD's then we have an option to extend Smith in a protected environment.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
More from Cosell on KNBR. I think his criticisms are fair.

Cosell clarifies - Inside the 49ers

No one (at least on this board) is saying that Smith cost the Niners the game. But he had multiple chances to win the game for the Niners and he didn't come through. It doesn't mean that his solid play this season was for naught, but it does mean he bears some blame for the loss.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Alex is the backup plan, but that's just me. Technically, once Manning became old and injured, he is the backup plan for the Colts. Favre was the backup to Rodgers because the FO wanted to go forward with Rodgers and waited for their opportunity. Once Favre did his zig, they pounced before he could do his zag. We, of course, would always like a better QB and will always be looking for one, either to develop for the future or for trade value. I think the confidence in Smith isn't high enough for calling him the franchise, but it's high enough to be higher than the backup plan. The backup plan is to rush Kaep in too quickly, while the primary plan is to see what Smith has got while grooming Kaep just in case. This, makes sense against the backdrop of two-years as much as your backup plan suggestion. I guess it is too much to presume that the 49ers are still trying to see what Smith can do with continuity in a good system. Harbaugh knows what he's doing and is a good evaluator but I see him among the last to make up his mind once you qualify.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I agree! The two years is the back-up plan to the back-up plan - meaning, that if Smith should somehow throw for ~4000Yds/~30TD's then we have an option to extend Smith in a protected environment.

haaa, good one!

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't think Alex is the backup plan, but that's just me. Technically, once Manning became old and injured, he is the backup plan for the Colts. Favre was the backup to Rodgers because the FO wanted to go forward with Rodgers and waited for their opportunity. Once Favre did his zig, they pounced before he could do his zag. We, of course, would always like a better QB and will always be looking for one, either to develop for the future or for trade value. I think the confidence in Smith isn't high enough for calling him the franchise, but it's high enough to be higher than the backup plan. The backup plan is to rush Kaep in too quickly, while the primary plan is to see what Smith has got while grooming Kaep just in case. This, makes sense against the backdrop of two-years as much as your backup plan suggestion. I guess it is too much to presume that the 49ers are still trying to see what Smith can do with continuity in a good system. Harbaugh knows what he's doing and is a good evaluator but I see him among the last to make up his mind once you qualify.

ok good.

IMO Alex Smith is more than a back-up plan, but just threw something out for those who're having a hard time accepting it. IMO he's at a 'good' level for the 49ers, short of 'future'. most look at it relative to the NFL, and in that case i'd say "above average".

his next contract should fall where "above average" NFL QB's are paid? don't know what that is but if you use franchise cost ($14.5M?) as a reference, $10M isn't so unreasonable. thats 68% of a franchise QB, isn't 68% of franchise about "above average"?

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
More from Cosell on KNBR. I think his criticisms are fair.

Cosell clarifies - Inside the 49ers

No one (at least on this board) is saying that Smith cost the Niners the game. But he had multiple chances to win the game for the Niners and he didn't come through. It doesn't mean that his solid play this season was for naught, but it does mean he bears some blame for the loss.

I agree with this article 110%. The thing is, can Alex truly overcome his hesistations? To me he seems to have gotten comfortable with Vernon but Vernon is a superior all-world athlete for his position. The other dudes are average and Alex still hesistates to get them the ball in the big games.

How much more upside does Alex have, compared to what he did this season?
Just playing devil's advocate here.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with this article 110%. The thing is, can Alex truly overcome his hesistations? To me he seems to have gotten comfortable with Vernon but Vernon is a superior all-world athlete for his position. The other dudes are average and Alex still hesistates to get them the ball in the big games.

throwing to recievers who can't get open results in tipped balls and interceptions. there's missed opportunities, but with our wr's there aren't many opportunities.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

IMO not much, but re-signing him is still the lesser of the evils.

no doubt Alex Smith is still reluctant to throw into tight windows. thats a great thing when we're winning (no INT's), but we boo it when we lose. can we have our cake and eat it too?

his comment on +28 turnovers is correct, we won't get this kind of differential next season. in those situations we do need the QB to come thru, but Alex won't always.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
throwing to recievers who can't get open results in tipped balls and interceptions. there's missed opportunities, but with our wr's there aren't many opportunities.

Tipped at the line of scrimmage because receivers aren't getting open? How do you figure?

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michael Crabtree 2010 Season - YouTube

There have been plenty of throws to Crabtree without having total separation. I wonder why the lack of trust now? I know he dropped some passes, but total non trust in the Championship? A qb needs to give his wr's a chance sometimes, they won't always be totally open.

Taking Chances Quotes - The Best Quotations on Risk Taking from Inspirational Spark

maybe it was partially play calling. a lot of those passes seemed to be crabtree coming back to the ball or a slant. i think the giants used more press coverage against crabtree and he couldn't beat it. they basically took him out of the game, which isn't really hard to do.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ok good.

IMO Alex Smith is more than a back-up plan, but just threw something out for those who're having a hard time accepting it. IMO he's at a 'good' level for the 49ers, short of 'future'. most look at it relative to the NFL, and in that case i'd say "above average".

his next contract should fall where "above average" NFL QB's are paid? don't know what that is but if you use franchise cost ($14.5M?) as a reference, $10M isn't so unreasonable. thats 68% of a franchise QB, isn't 68% of franchise about "above average"?

I can live with that. I think that's a reasonable assessment. As much as I like Alex, I can't say he's the future or above 'above average'. You know me, I'll always leave that possibility open, but I stand where you are about now. We've never really disagreed, but whodathunk we'd agree with each other? (More like I agree with you rather than the other way around) I think you just said what I think pretty well.

Oh... I could also live with 10 million a year. I might have to moonlight to feed my wife and children, but I'd get by.

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we all know by now that Smith is very cautious and have heard repeatedly that he has to feel totally confident before he lets loose with the ball. He got more confident as the season progressed, primarily throwing to Davis, but that seemed to vanish sometimes against the Giants. I truly think that he will get more confidence having a year with the same system under his belt and having OTAs to work on timing with his receivers.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I can live with that. I think that's a reasonable assessment. As much as I like Alex, I can't say he's the future or above 'above average'. You know me, I'll always leave that possibility open, but I stand where you are about now. We've never really disagreed, but whodathunk we'd agree with each other? (More like I agree with you rather than the other way around) I think you just said what I think pretty well.

Oh... I could also live with 10 million a year. I might have to moonlight to feed my wife and children, but I'd get by.

haaa, yeah "do what you have to do" to feed your wife and child.