• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Corona Virtual Trip....Zimbabwe

bamagrad75

Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since we can't travel, thought I'd throw up a few pictures from places I've been.

Starting with Zimbabwe and Victoria Falls, the largest waterfall in the world. It was roaring when I was there, full of run off from the Zambezi River, the 4th largest river in Africa.

Some of the pictures will be a bit cloudy. As you move along the riverbank, it moves from jungle to rainforest & one minute it's dry, next minute, you are being showered with mist from the waterfall.

019.jpg

At the beginning on the Zimbabwe side. Known as the River that Roars, you can see the mist from the falls

024.JPG

Looking down the channel219.jpg

You can just barely see Livingstone Island to the right. From the Zambia side, you can come down the river to the island, then make your way out to the Devils Pool on the edge of the fall. But not when the river is roaring.

And that is ALL the "fencing" they have between the walkway & the fall. A few steps, a slip & they may be able to recover your body way down the river.

225.jpg

The horseshoe section looking right at Livingstone Island

235.jpg

The end of this side with a turn. You can walk all the way out to the very edge but those rocks are super slippery, you are being drenched in some cases by the mist from the river. It's dangerous but quite the kick to see the turn.

237.jpg

Near the edge

201.jpg

The bridge between Zambia & Zimbabwe. You can bungee jump off this side. On the other side, there's a long zip line from the Zambia side to the Zimbabwe side. If you look carefully, you can see the faint outline of a rainbow

182.jpg

From the hotel, you can see the mist from the Falls & you can hear the roar, even from over a mile away.

184.jpg

The Baobob tree

283.jpg

You yield to them. Had to keep your doors to your hotel deck closed & locked or you'd find them in your room.

And, not unusual to see a warthog or hippo or giraffe wandering up the street, especially at night. Keep your head on a swivel.

Interesting place, lovely people but has gone from one of the most prosperous places in Africa to an economic nightmare.

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since we can't travel, thought I'd throw up a few pictures from places I've been.

Starting with Zimbabwe and Victoria Falls, the largest waterfall in the world. It was roaring when I was there, full of run off from the Zambezi River, the 4th largest river in Africa.

Some of the pictures will be a bit cloudy. As you move along the riverbank, it moves from jungle to rainforest & one minute it's dry, next minute, you are being showered with mist from the waterfall.

View attachment 238367

At the beginning on the Zimbabwe side. Known as the River that Roars, you can see the mist from the falls

View attachment 238369

Looking down the channelView attachment 238370

You can just barely see Livingstone Island to the right. From the Zambia side, you can come down the river to the island, then make your way out to the Devils Pool on the edge of the fall. But not when the river is roaring.

And that is ALL the "fencing" they have between the walkway & the fall. A few steps, a slip & they may be able to recover your body way down the river.

View attachment 238372

The horseshoe section looking right at Livingstone Island

View attachment 238373

The end of this side with a turn. You can walk all the way out to the very edge but those rocks are super slippery, you are being drenched in some cases by the mist from the river. It's dangerous but quite the kick to see the turn.

View attachment 238375

Near the edge

View attachment 238376

The bridge between Zambia & Zimbabwe. You can bungee jump off this side. On the other side, there's a long zip line from the Zambia side to the Zimbabwe side. If you look carefully, you can see the faint outline of a rainbow

View attachment 238377

From the hotel, you can see the mist from the Falls & you can hear the roar, even from over a mile away.

View attachment 238379

The Baobob tree

View attachment 238380

You yield to them. Had to keep your doors to your hotel deck closed & locked or you'd find them in your room.

And, not unusual to see a warthog or hippo or giraffe wandering up the street, especially at night. Keep your head on a swivel.

Interesting place, lovely people but has gone from one of the most prosperous places in Africa to an economic nightmare.

Awesome sights. I assume I the monkeys are friendly. For Africa, is it better to go with a group or on your own?

bamagrad75

Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Awesome sights. I assume I the monkeys are friendly. For Africa, is it better to go with a group or on your own?

Depends on the location. In the wilder areas, they are dangerous in that they will attack and have plenty of diseases.

In resorts, they will let you come right up to them but are still a bit dangerous and have diseases. And you better lock your hotel room tight. I've seen them steal stuff right off people's dining tables.

I went alone but had a private local guide at each location. Of course that's a bit expensive but I could call my own schedule.

With the upheaval there now in many places, not sure I'd even do that again. But do want to go back, especially to Kruger and up to Masai areas and the Serengeti

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd probably go in a group or be with people who know the area.