• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

computer help needed, where the guru?

cane_man

I AM the liquor
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
vista antimalware?

long story......today my firefox shut down and AVG (at least looked like it, barely glanced) popped up and said a virus was detected and if I wanted to fix it. I clicked yes. but, the odd thing is the word key logger was in the file name. If I wanted to distribute a key logger I doubt Id put it in the file name. then, when I checked recent events it wasnt there.

then, BOOM, I have this vista anti malware popping up from my status bar (not internet pop ups). and they keep trying to direct me to download it. at first I thought it was an actual vista product (shows up with windows firewall in security under control panel), but the certs were bad. also, it kept saying someone was accessing my laptop, even when the wi fi was off, and the IPs it listed were also bad. Im guessing this is malware in itself. ran spybot s&d, AVG full scan and malware bytes quick scan and nothing came up. I am now running malware bytes full scan.

this is really pissing me off as I cant close it, delete it (cant find it) or get it to stop showing messages (like every 15 seconds).

thanx for any ideas

Last edited by a moderator:

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This same kinda stuff happened to me recently....have no idea how it happened either. I just restored my computer to a recent version. Really, any time I have problems I just restore my computer anymore rather than even trying to mess with it. It will remove user files, but I just save them on a jump drive and restore.

joyner82

I liek chocolate milk
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Well if you downloaded a key logger you're fucked until you delete it which can be difficult. Essentially someone is now tracking what you type aka they can find out your passwords/CC#'s/SS#'s if you use them on the internet.

Spybot - Search & Destroy - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com

Vipre Antivirus + Antispyware Internet security and firewall reviews - CNET Reviews

Download these 2 run the programs and it will get rid of the shit. Or if you're lazy you can just format your computer if you don't care about losing your files.

cane_man

I AM the liquor
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This same kinda stuff happened to me recently....have no idea how it happened either. I just restored my computer to a recent version. Really, any time I have problems I just restore my computer anymore rather than even trying to mess with it. It will remove user files, but I just save them on a jump drive and restore.

Im going to try to avoid that for now. that would take forever.

cane_man

I AM the liquor
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well if you downloaded a key logger you're fucked until you delete it which can be difficult. Essentially someone is now tracking what you type aka they can find out your passwords/CC#'s/SS#'s if you use them on the internet.

Spybot - Search & Destroy - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com

Vipre Antivirus + Antispyware Internet security and firewall reviews - CNET Reviews

Download these 2 run the programs and it will get rid of the shit. Or if you're lazy you can just format your computer if you don't care about losing your files.

already ran spybot s&d, came up empty. I seriously doubt it was a key logger, tho. you usually dont name your malware what it is, and if you do your probably not smart enough to use it. plus, it said it was removed, and I run on a proxy server, I think that would make it prettty hard to utilize a key a key logger.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Run both AVG and Spybot.

I haven't had a virus pop up in years. What the hell kind of sites are you going to for your pron?

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The bastard's in your registry. Anytime you get that pop-up don't click anywhere on it because you initiate the malware.
The best thing you can do is disconnect from the internet (pull the cable) turn off your computer, reboot, and clear history/cookies etc...

From there run malwarebytes.com and then whatever anti-virus you intentionally installed previously.

Be sure to update your malwarebytes regularly and run the quick version at least 2x per week if possible. Some of this malware doesn't initiate itself immediately, it makes it harder to track down the gutless fucks.

joyner82

I liek chocolate milk
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
already ran spybot s&d, came up empty. I seriously doubt it was a key logger, tho. you usually dont name your malware what it is, and if you do your probably not smart enough to use it. plus, it said it was removed, and I run on a proxy server, I think that would make it prettty hard to utilize a key a key logger.

If you're running on a proxy then it's impossible to log your keys. it's based off of IP as far as I know so it won't really matter. btw why the hell you running off a proxy? worried about getting banned or you doing illegal things in the interwebs

cane_man

I AM the liquor
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you're running on a proxy then it's impossible to log your keys. it's based off of IP as far as I know so it won't really matter. btw why the hell you running off a proxy? worried about getting banned or you doing illegal things in the interwebs

LOL, a lot of p2p. probably how I got this shit. AVG is usually pretty good at catching shit like this tho.

this is the first crap ive caught since the 90s.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Try unistalling this weird toolbar by going to the control panel>> unistall programs. It might be listed in there.

cane_man

I AM the liquor
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The bastard's in your registry. Anytime you get that pop-up don't click anywhere on it because you initiate the malware.
The best thing you can do is disconnect from the internet (pull the cable) turn off your computer, reboot, and clear history/cookies etc...

From there run malwarebytes.com and then whatever anti-virus you intentionally installed previously.

Be sure to update your malwarebytes regularly and run the quick version at least 2x per week if possible. Some of this malware doesn't initiate itself immediately, it makes it harder to track down the gutless fucks.

what if I run eusing reg cleaner?

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what if I run eusing reg cleaner?

Malwarebytes didn't get rid of it?

So far you're lucky, some of this shit puts in an inhibit so you can even run malwarebytes, your anti-virus, or even restore your computer to a couple days earlier.

cane_man

I AM the liquor
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Malwarebytes didn't get rid of it?

So far you're lucky, some of this shit puts in an inhibit so you can even run malwarebytes, your anti-virus, or even restore your computer to a couple days earlier.

I ran the quick scan. now, Im running the full scan.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is this the pop-up you're geting?

vista-antivirus-2008.jpg