• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Completely Non-FF Thoughts

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@averagejoe , @Barilko

Just started my slow draft in hockey.

15 team, 18 skaters, 2 goalies (team goalie, so we have the rights to the back up of the guy we draft without having to roster him until needed). 5/6 C, 7/8 W, 5/6 D is the makeup. Points league. 5 per goal (forward), 8 per goal (defenseman), 3 per assists (all), 1 per five shots (.2 each), .5 per blocked shot. Goalies, 7 per W, .2 per save, -1 per goal, -3 per loss.

Have the 6th pick, took Fleury. Coming back to me. I'm thinking to lock up my second goalie. Schneider being the target, Rask being the contingency. Due to their high volume of games played, I think it's a good way to go, as it leaves no headache on a team with more of a split.

So I guess my question is do you like these two despite the likely non-existent offense?

And, any sleepers?

And, for the 3rd round, I'm staring at (but orobably not in ten picks), Malkin, Toews, Getzlaf, Giroux, Voracek, Parise, MacKinnon (you guys like him as much as me? bad sophomore season, or not as good as the hype? I'm leaning the former.

Eberle, Hall, McDavid? Hossa? Letang (injury risk), Keith, Weber, Giordano, Eckman-Larson?

Thanks

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait? you play "team" goalies? I would draft a goalie whose team had low GA. Montreal, Chicago, Rangers, Blues, Kings and Wild.

I like all the guys you mentioned.

Sleepers?
Speaking locally, Anisimov will be on the second line with Hossa & Teravainen.
And Trevor Daley looks like he may be paired with Hjalmarsson on the 2nd-line D.

Also, you may want to avoid Sharp and Saad who the Hawks traded away... history is not kind statistically to the former Hawks. But if I had to choose, Saad is awesome (and young).

And check it out... FantasyPros has hockey consensus.

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks Joe.

Clarification. Weekly lineups. We have to start two specific Goalies. So (I own Fleury), and I'll start him every week, but say I draft Howard, if I start him, I don't get the points Mrazek puts up that week, and vice versa. So that's why I'm looking at horses like Schneider and Rask.

That said, I took Giroux. We'll see what happens around the turn.

Thanks

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holtby led all goalies in games-played. Plus his GAA and Sv% wasn't too bad either.

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1st round went...

1. Alex O.
2. Price
3. Crosby
4. Holtby
5. Tavares
6. Fleury

Goalies that went after Lundqvist, Crawford, Rinne, Bishop, Bobrovsky, Dubnyk, Quick and Andersen.

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ovey still 1 overall.
With Kessel in PIT, I think Crosby and Malkin each get a bump... as if they needed a bump.

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A consensus of a whopping 7 experts!

Yeah, CBS isn't exactly a hockey info site, that's for sure! I go by gut and depth charts mostly.

Good to have that list though, even if it is just seven "pros". Honestly, I'll take your word first! And my knowledge of my league of course.

Wondering if I should go the one-two punch Flyer punch with Voracek, or wrap up my Goalie thoughts in the 3rd.

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ovey still 1 overall.
With Kessel in PIT, I think Crosby and Malkin each get a bump... as if they needed a bump.

Malkin went right before me, one pick... although I still might have gone with Giroux, as Malkin is just on the shelf so much, which is why I'm sure he went so late.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was fortunate to get her in the first round...

winnipeg+jets+girl+hot+sexy+hockey.jpg

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Barilko - You are King of the Waiver Wire. :hail:

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@TKOSpikes
Can I see the rest of your hockey draft? (Or just your team?)

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very slow draft, Joe.

Fleury
Giroux
Schneider
...six picks until my 4th.

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very slow draft, Joe.

Fleury
Giroux
Schneider
...six picks until my 4th.
At least you got Cory like you wanted. Are the other owners targeting the goalies first? Or are forwards being plucked?
Get Gretzky, Roy, Lemiuex, or Orr...that's all the hockey I know :)

Good luck
I'm impressed. 4 hockey names and no figure-skating comments. And for a guy whose phone can auto-butcher the English language, I'm equally impressed you spelled Gretzky correct and came pretty darn close on Lemieux.
:clap:

SoShady

QB Factory
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Surprised you went 2 goalies early. Last year I got back into fantasy hockey and was advised to hit forwards early and often. It worked out well for me finishing in 4th.

I have a auction draft coming up on Tuesday night 14 teams keep 12. We have $250 to spend. The cap doesn't carry over so we are free and clear. As we will snake draft for all future seasons. Do you load up on as many studs as you can with no future salary cap ramifications? I was reading some mathematical draft strategies on how you can break up tiers of players. I suppose that would keep you on track not over spending. I always have a bad habit of passing on studs because of bids I feel are overpriced.

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've only done fantasy hockey once and it was several years ago. And it was a rotisserie league. Even though I finished 2nd, all I remember was that it was a lot of work because there was a "game limit." I was always juggling players so I wouldn't go over the "limit" and watching if goalies wouldn't be starting each and every night.

@SoShady I certainly wouldn't wait too long on goalies, and I'd still try to get a reliable forward or two. Like anything else (i.e. fantasy football), just play it smart... A 2nd-line winger on the Ducks or Rangers may be better than a 1st line winger on the Sabres or Coyotes.

Last edited:

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Surprised you went 2 goalies early. Last year I got back into fantasy hockey and was advised to hit forwards early and often. It worked out well for me finishing in 4th.

I have a auction draft coming up on Tuesday night 14 teams keep 12. We have $250 to spend. The cap doesn't carry over so we are free and clear. As we will snake draft for all future seasons. Do you load up on as many studs as you can with no future salary cap ramifications? I was reading some mathematical draft strategies on how you can break up tiers of players. I suppose that would keep you on track not over spending. I always have a bad habit of passing on studs because of bids I feel are overpriced.

This is a points league. Goalies are a premium. Five teams have two. Three teams have none. The rest have one. I guess that means 17 are taken.