• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Comp picks.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here are some negative notes on the guys I already mentioned:

Robinson’s inconsistent in pass protection more suited for RT as he struggles with seed rushers
Ramczyk just had hip surgery, but is the most proven commodity at LT
Bolles will be 25 to start the 2017 season due to a late start in college and a transfer from junior college.

There is also a couple of small college boys who could sneak into the 1st round:Taylor Moton of Western Michigan, and Forrest Lamp of Western Kentucky. Many are projecting them as interior line players though. Lamp at 6'4" is supposably not tall or long enough to play OT in the NFL and he is unproven at a high collegate level but he the type of unproven the prospect that the Seahawks tend to fall for (usually for the worse).

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we stay put. 5 picks in the top 106 would let us get what we need at CB, DT, LB, possibly a RB (very deep draft at RB). could still get an OT with our pick, there seems to be a couple of guys that will move up to the late 1st round after the combine.

i think this will be the first draft where we DONT trade down with our 1st rounder since we took okung.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still trying to figure out how Seattle's comp picks hurt Denver. Can someone explain this too me.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here are some negative notes on the guys I already mentioned:

Robinson’s inconsistent in pass protection more suited for RT as he struggles with seed rushers
Ramczyk just had hip surgery, but is the most proven commodity at LT
Bolles will be 25 to start the 2017 season due to a late start in college and a transfer from junior college.

There is also a couple of small college boys who could sneak into the 1st round:Taylor Moton of Western Michigan, and Forrest Lamp of Western Kentucky. Many are projecting them as interior line players though. Lamp at 6'4" is supposably not tall or long enough to play OT in the NFL and he is unproven at a high collegate level but he the type of unproven the prospect that the Seahawks tend to fall for (usually for the worse).

Yah, Walterfootball's mock had us taking Ramczyk... but UGH, I hate taking anyone injured. Course we've taken proven non injured commodities in college before and they end up injured... like, a LOT. So I guess it's all a crap shoot. If the talent/position fits...

Not a huge fan on Lamp though. I agree he projects more to an interior player and I think we need to give Ifedi/Odhiambo a chance before we blow more picks on interior line.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still trying to figure out how Seattle's comp picks hurt Denver. Can someone explain this too me.

I am not 100% certain, but pretty sure when you lose a player and then sign a player of what the NFL considers equal value, you do not get the compensatory selection.

So yes, you lose a guy who gets you a 3rd round pick, but then sign a guy (Okung) that based on the contract value and APV (adjusted player value) is equal, you don't net the 3rd. It prevents teams from simply shedding current players, playing an aggressive FA market (maybe capitalizing on a cheap QB or rookie contract while accumulating picks), and still getting a very high (in NFL terms, where 3rd rounders are valuable) draft pick.

If I'm wrong, someone please correct me. This is how I understand it to work, but like jerseyhawks if I'm wrong I'd love an explanation.

I also believe this is the reason we didn't get a 5th. We signed someone (can't recall who) that negated the Sweezy signing or whatever.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

When the Broncos signed Okung they had the thought that he was only going to be valued for the Comp pick equation as the 1-year/$5 million value. According to the Comp Pick chart that would make him equal a 5th round pick in value. What it looks like though is they valued him at the full value with his option years thrown in making his yearly average now $10.6 million which is a 3rd round pick value. So he then gets to cancel out the highest 3rd round comp pick the Broncos would have received which would have been the highest comp pick available from Osweiler's big $18 million a year deal.

So by them deciding to count the entire contract the Broncos go from the 97th pick in the draft to 250th pick in value.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It costs ridiculous amounts to move into that high top ten picks range, but less the further down the list you go. So I'm thinking a swap of 1st round picks PLUS two thirds would be enough to move into the 8 - 14 range?

So just spitballing here, Cleveland has the Eagle's #12 pick, and has been in the mode of quantity. So would our #1 plus two 3rds, be enough to move up to 12 if there was still an elite tackle available? Dunno.

You would have to give up your 1st, 2nd, and probably one of your 3rd's at least to entice a team to move back that far. Most drafts have about 15 players that are 1st round talents on every team's boards. After that is a sizable drop off so those teams in that range are in the position of power when trading.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yah, Walterfootball's mock had us taking Ramczyk... but UGH, I hate taking anyone injured. Course we've taken proven non injured commodities in college before and they end up injured... like, a LOT. So I guess it's all a crap shoot. If the talent/position fits...

Not a huge fan on Lamp though. I agree he projects more to an interior player and I think we need to give Ifedi/Odhiambo a chance before we blow more picks on interior line.

I certainly would not mind getting Ramczyk as long as the team does its research on his injury and recovery. Even then I think that he will struggle a bit in his rookie year as the needs to gain some strength but he is certainly a better option than anything we currently have.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You would have to give up your 1st, 2nd, and probably one of your 3rd's at least to entice a team to move back that far. Most drafts have about 15 players that are 1st round talents on every team's boards. After that is a sizable drop off so those teams in that range are in the position of power when trading.

OK, so keep a third and give up a second instead. Again, not saying that's necessarily what they should do, but if there's a guy they think could be a good T, then they at least consider it.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK, so keep a third and give up a second instead. Again, not saying that's necessarily what they should do, but if there's a guy they think could be a good T, then they at least consider it.
I don't think any of those OL are worth giving up a first and a second.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think any of those OL are worth giving up a first and a second.

Fair enough, as I said, I don't follow college football even a little bit.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
History says JS trades down to recoup a 4th and/or a 5th rounder.
If I had any vcash, I'd put that on it.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think there will be a player we want at 26, i bet we stay put.

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this might be a T deep in a way. There were 2 2nd round T (can't remember much (Why i didn't look into one of these guys, names or where i heard this)) including 1 6'8 3?? from UCLA named Conor McDermott that i seemed interested in, but sucker for tall big guys (hell the Seahawks smallest starting OL in GESL (a madden sim league that i have 1 team that i own (seahakws) and caretake 2 others is 6'2 (310 LG) and the lightest is 280(6'4 C)) at OL.

I saying we could wait to draft a T or a G. Take a CB in the 1st.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not 100% certain, but pretty sure when you lose a player and then sign a player of what the NFL considers equal value, you do not get the compensatory selection.

So yes, you lose a guy who gets you a 3rd round pick, but then sign a guy (Okung) that based on the contract value and APV (adjusted player value) is equal, you don't net the 3rd. It prevents teams from simply shedding current players, playing an aggressive FA market (maybe capitalizing on a cheap QB or rookie contract while accumulating picks), and still getting a very high (in NFL terms, where 3rd rounders are valuable) draft pick.

If I'm wrong, someone please correct me. This is how I understand it to work, but like jerseyhawks if I'm wrong I'd love an explanation.

I also believe this is the reason we didn't get a 5th. We signed someone (can't recall who) that negated the Sweezy signing or whatever.

That does make sense. Good deal!

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When the Broncos signed Okung they had the thought that he was only going to be valued for the Comp pick equation as the 1-year/$5 million value. According to the Comp Pick chart that would make him equal a 5th round pick in value. What it looks like though is they valued him at the full value with his option years thrown in making his yearly average now $10.6 million which is a 3rd round pick value. So he then gets to cancel out the highest 3rd round comp pick the Broncos would have received which would have been the highest comp pick available from Osweiler's big $18 million a year deal.

So by them deciding to count the entire contract the Broncos go from the 97th pick in the draft to 250th pick in value.

Damn, that's a bad break. Only bright side is at least Oz isn't your starting QB.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If I was a Bronco fan, I won't be happy, but looking at from the league view of things I'd want to discourage contracts that made it difficult to judge fair comp, best way to do it is to value tricky or difficult contracts at max value. That will discourage others from doing the same in the future.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I was a Bronco fan, I won't be happy, but looking at from the league view of things I'd want to discourage contracts that made it difficult to judge fair comp, best way to do it is to value tricky or difficult contracts at max value. That will discourage others from doing the same in the future.

100% agreed.