• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Commanders News thread

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have been saying this all along. We will not give him huge money in FA
I guess they feel they cannot get more than a 3rd for him, so they might as well use him this year and get a comp 3rd next year.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess they feel they cannot get more than a 3rd for him, so they might as well use him this year and get a comp 3rd next year.

you never know as the season goes on. IF a 2nd is offered you have to take it.

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If this is the case, deal him right now. Stop doing bad business by settling for a 3rd next year. You did the same with Schreff. Just terrible football business. You can get a 2nd for Payne today and teams would line up for his services right now. I would ask for a 2nd and a player of need for Payne.

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Teams would line up to give a 2nd for Payne! Our FO is being stubborn and doing bad business as usual.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Teams would line up to give a 2nd for Payne! Our FO is being stubborn and doing bad business as usual.

I agree if there was a 2nd round pick offered we should take it but you don't know if it was offered.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree if there was a 2nd round pick offered we should take it but you don't know if it was offered.
there is nothing you can do now , if you trade him your front 4 takes a huge hit with chase not coming back till week 7 , mathis is riding a bike now and you let to dt's walk . this defense is lucky to be a top 25 defense with payne much less without him

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
another FO botch job

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
another FO botch job
I have said this for a few years now and was called out for it. We need a real GM here to assist and lead the front office; we don't need "yes men" reporting to Rivera. Rivera has no clue what he is doing and nobody has ever provided evidence to convince me otherwise. He should have brought a GM with him as Andy Reid did.

This offseason has been a head-scratcher and shows a true lack of strategy. We created an unnecessary hole in the DLine by cutting IMan and letting Settle walk. We created decent salary room for really no reason with these cuts. We didn't sign talent with the created cap room. We also took an area of strength and weakened it. We used a 2nd round pick to address the created gap. Looking back, we could have used that 2nd round pick to bolster the OLine, secondary, or LB corp. Instead, we had to throw a high-round pick at the DLine because Settle bolted and IMan was cut for no reason (after we lied to his agent).

If the FO felt Payne was not the answer, or that he would not be resigned, why not trade him and sign Settle to take over as the starter? We could have used that 2nd rounder in a number of different ways; we are NOT a good team right now and lack talent. Mathis might be very good down the road; we don't know at this point. That being said, we will probably simply get a mid to low comp pick for Payne leaving, and we still do NOT have the necessary depth needed at DLine. We would have gotten a better draft pick by trading him this off-season instead of waiting for the assigned comp pick.

The same goes for Mills and firing him mid-preseason. These moves should have been made in the offseason. As I have said a million times, Rivera will need to be fired for his front office blunders, not necessarily his coaching. Those claiming Rivera has done a "decent job" have literally provided little to no real evidence. You can't hide behind the fact that he "inherited a mess" anymore. Rivera continues to make mistake after mistake in year 3. The errors continue to mound and I am tired of it. The sooner he goes, the better in my book. The coach-centric approach is NOT working.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In 23 years Dan has never signed an actual GM unless you consider Vinny Cerrato or Bruce Allen. I don't disagree that he would be wise to have one but why would you think he would change how he does business at this point?

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In 23 years Dan has never signed an actual GM unless you consider Vinny Cerrato or Bruce Allen. I don't disagree that he would be wise to have one but why would you think he would change how he does business at this point?
You are correct, but Dan has changed operations models during his ownership:

1. Jerry Jones model (owner is GM) = failed
2. Yes Man GM Model (Bruce) = failed
3. Coach-Centric model (Rivera) = failing

The only other model I can think of is the traditional GM model. Maybe the Andy Reid model where he has a separation of duties (Veach) model can be considered one? I am probably wrong though.

I admit I am probably wrong, but since Dan has tried multiple systems and they have failed, he will hopefully get tired of losing and want to change yet again. Perhaps Dan or Tanya will realize they need change and hire a true GM. I can only hope!

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there is nothing you can do now , if you trade him your front 4 takes a huge hit with chase not coming back till week 7 , mathis is riding a bike now and you let to dt's walk . this defense is lucky to be a top 25 defense with payne much less without him
Point taken so trade him now and get value. Don't fuk around because your stubborn and think 20 defensively looks better than 25. Trade him because if you don't you get less next off season and that is not how you improve your assets or team.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Point taken so trade him now and get value. Don't fuk around because your stubborn and think 20 defensively looks better than 25. Trade him because if you don't you get less next off season and that is not how you improve your assets or team.
I have an idea , how about you resign him ? We have the money , it’s about choice .

If you want him to walk then fine , keep settle and or ionman but don’t let all of that
go and then decide a rookie and a career bum will make the unit better

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have an idea , how about you resign him ? We have the money , it’s about choice .

If you want him to walk then fine , keep settle and or ionman but don’t let all of that
go and then decide a rookie and a career bum will make the unit better
They won't resign because Sweat is due after then CY. We CAN replace Payne however. Mathis and Brown (came in this week for a look-see) would do this year. Hell, you have no LB'ers currently so keeping Payne won't make much difference anyway. Trade him for more assets!

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They won't resign because Sweat is due after then CY. We CAN replace Payne however. Mathis and Brown (came in this week for a look-see) would do this year. Hell, you have no LB'ers currently so keeping Payne won't make much difference anyway. Trade him for more assets!
While I agree that LB will not have a major role in the defense, we literally have the worst LB corps. in the NFL. Talent and depth are major concerns. Rivera was allegedly going to bring in reinforcements. Perhaps he is waiting for cuts? If Holcomb goes down, thats it for us!

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are correct, but Dan has changed operations models during his ownership:

1. Jerry Jones model (owner is GM) = failed
2. Yes Man GM Model (Bruce) = failed
3. Coach-Centric model (Rivera) = failing

The only other model I can think of is the traditional GM model. Maybe the Andy Reid model where he has a separation of duties (Veach) model can be considered one? I am probably wrong though.

I admit I am probably wrong, but since Dan has tried multiple systems and they have failed, he will hopefully get tired of losing and want to change yet again. Perhaps Dan or Tanya will realize they need change and hire a true GM. I can only hope!
I understand what you are saying, I confirmed that. What I told you is Dan isn't going to do what you want him to do. Doesn't mean I am agreeing with Dan's FO model, it is what it is. I didn't want Joe Gibbs making personnel decsions other than who to keep and coaching them up.

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I agree that LB will not have a major role in the defense, we literally have the worst LB corps. in the NFL. Talent and depth are major concerns. Rivera was allegedly going to bring in reinforcements. Perhaps he is waiting for cuts? If Holcomb goes down, thats it for us!
I'm in agreement that position has been neglected.

skinzfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bottom line, nobody wants to re-sign in DC. They don't see promise, a plan, or a FO that works.

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bottom line, nobody wants to re-sign in DC. They don't see promise, a plan, or a FO that works.
Be careful with your attitude. The Sunshine and Rainbows police will pull you over. We must stay positive and ignore the facts.

Last edited: