• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Commanders News thread

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am confused. Although the likelihood of acquiring Mahomes or Herbert is slim what is wrong with asking? Why would that be absurd? Isn't that call akin to buying a lottery ticket? Asking the prettiest girl out?

chillerdab

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am confused. Although the likelihood of acquiring Mahomes or Herbert is slim what is wrong with asking? Why would that be absurd? Isn't that call akin to buying a lottery ticket? Asking the prettiest girl out?

100%.

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because it is optics. It makes us look even more incompetent and out of touch. I have literally never heard of a team in any pro-sport calling every team to fill a hole on the roster.

For example, if the Orlando Magic are looking for a PG, and call the Warriors for Steph Curry and the Mavs for Luka Doncic, we would all laugh and think that the organization is a mess. That is what I am saying.

Lets be honest, we are always in the news for the wrong reasons. A few of my friends had a good laugh at Rivera's Hail Marry. I still think it looks extremely ridiculous to call the Chiefs and ask about Mahomes' availability. That is simply a waste of time and make us look lost...which we are.

chillerdab

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disagree.

Calling or not calling all the other teams wont make the optics any better or worse.

Washington’s optics are already pretty fucking bad, so there’s literally no reason not to shoot your shot.

The only way to improve optics is to win.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This team won’t win consistently as long as it’s corrupt at the top . Just won’t happen

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disagree.

Calling or not calling all the other teams wont make the optics any better or worse.

Washington’s optics are already pretty fucking bad, so there’s literally no reason not to shoot your shot.

The only way to improve optics is to win.
So you think it is prudent and wise for the Orlando Magic to call the Warriors and ask for Steph Curry?

I think Rivera calling every team in the league poking around for a QB further solidifies that he has no clue what he is doing. We can improve optics by winning, I agree. Looking like a donkey to other GMs in the league erodes any type of credibility we have. Have you literally heard of any GM in the NHL, NBA, MLB, or NFL calling every team asking around for the most important position in that sport? Happy to admit I am wrong, but I never had. Seems like a desperate and disorganized team would do that. Well...that describes us right now.

Last edited:

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I don't worry what others think of me and I see no issue calling Andy and saying "so, what would it take to get Mahomes." Once in a while the average guy gets the prettiest woman in school. Actually I would give RR credit for not getting fleeced by Philly like Allen and Snyder always did.

Don't disagree about Dan, but he didn't call KC.

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I don't worry what others think of me and I see no issue calling Andy and saying "so, what would it take to get Mahomes." Once in a while the average guy gets the prettiest woman in school. Actually I would give RR credit for not getting fleeced by Philly like Allen and Snyder always did.

Don't disagree about Dan, but he didn't call KC.
Hmm, interesting take.

Like I said, I have never heard this done in professional sports, so that is what was odd to me. I see your point, that being said, I wish we would have not done it and I think it makes us look even worse.
My opinion. It appears some posters didn't take issue with it like I did.

chillerdab

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you think it is prudent and wise for the Orlando Magic to call the Warriors and ask for Steph Curry?

I think Rivera calling every team in the league poking around for a QB further solidifies that he has no clue what he is doing. We can improve optics by winning, I agree. Looking like a donkey to other GMs in the league erodes any type of credibility we have. Have you literally heard of any GM in the NHL, NBA, MLB, or NFL calling every team asking around for the most important position in that sport? Happy to admit I am wrong, but I never had. Seems like a desperate and disorganized team would do that. Well...that describes us right now.

I agree with Sportster. I dont think its likely or realistic for the Warriors to part with Steph Curry, but I dont think it’s imprudent or unwise to ask.

Shoot your shot.

In any case, I wouldnt know if other teams have done the same thing or not, though I thought Ditka called all the teams for Ricky Williams back in the day (offering to trade all of his draft picks for the right to draft Ricky Williams), and i also think something like that happened for Herschel Walker too, but am not certain.

The right to draft Eric Lindros in hockey rings a bell too, but again, I’m not positive.

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with Sportster. I dont think its likely or realistic for the Warriors to part with Steph Curry, but I dont think it’s imprudent or unwise to ask.

Shoot your shot.

In any case, I wouldnt know if other teams have done the same thing or not, though I thought Ditka called all the teams for Ricky Williams back in the day (offering to trade all of his draft picks for the right to draft Ricky Williams), and i also think something like that happened for Herschel Walker too, but am not certain.

The right to draft Eric Lindros in hockey rings a bell too, but again, I’m not positive.
That is for 1 player though, not calling every team asking about their QBs.

I think Ditka did call all of the teams in the top 5 to move up. I believe you are right with that.

Rowdy

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,828.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If by some chance Mahomes were traded to another team. Then you’d be saying RR is fucking stupid for not even inquiring about him

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If by some chance Mahomes were traded to another team. Then you’d be saying RR is fucking stupid for not even inquiring abo
If Mahomes is traded, it will be in several years. Rivera will be long gone by then.

I don't trust Rivera to trade for a bunch of water bottles, do you?

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that is what we are pointing out ... because you don't like Rivera you are saying it is stupid to call KC and ask if there is any way to make a trade.

I get that most years his team is .500 or less. That is a valid point. I am not a huge fan either. I don't think he is incompetent. I agree I wish they had a GM but they never have had one under Snyder.

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that is what we are pointing out ... because you don't like Rivera you are saying it is stupid to call KC and ask if there is any way to make a trade.

I get that most years his team is .500 or less. That is a valid point. I am not a huge fan either. I don't think he is incompetent. I agree I wish they had a GM but they never have had one under Snyder.
That is not what I am saying. I pointed out that I thought it would be absurd for the Orlando Magic to call the Warriors for Steph Curry because they needed a PG. Same for Doncic and the Dallas Mavs. Same if they called ATL for Trae Young. Common sense tells you those 3 players are untouchable and the GM probably hangs up after laughing.

Then, after being rejected, the Magic called every other team in the league asking for their starting PG. I find that insane and the actions of a terrible front office. That is my opinion as an NBA fan.

With respect to the Commanders, yes, I detest Rivera and would like him out. Again, my opinion. I am actually surprised that the majority of posters did not find it idiotic and foolish for Mayhew and Rivera to call literally every team in the league asking for their starting QB as has been suggested. Clearly, I am in the minority. Again, it is not necessarily Rivera, it's the idea itself.

As I have said, its not the coaching that I get frustrated with, it is the front office mistakes. I have never been a fan of the coach-centric approach and it simply doesn't work.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is pretty much what I said .... just a little shorter.

We'll just have to agree to disagree about calling other teams to see if or who is available.

As for RR, fair coach, not excited about the FO duties but that is Snyder. RR is probably better than Cerrato and Allen. Less than the Shanhan's, Gruden and Kyle Smith.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it wasnt the most efficient way to use time and resources is all i will say . i think you make a list of reasonable targets and work the list but thats just me

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course you make a reasonable list and develop a plan. That does not preclude you from asking how much the moon costs. Hell asking for Matt Stafford or Russell Wilson was asking for the moon.

People can rag on the trade all they want. Some points are valid, did they give up too much, did they pay too much? There is no doubt they improved the position. They have improved the offense or so it would seem.

Maybe it is just me but I am taking the wait and see position. If he sucks this year then we can all say he sucks. I think going into this year with Heinicke as the starter would have been a mistake.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course you make a reasonable list and develop a plan. That does not preclude you from asking how much the moon costs. Hell asking for Matt Stafford or Russell Wilson was asking for the moon.

People can rag on the trade all they want. Some points are valid, did they give up too much, did they pay too much? There is no doubt they improved the position. They have improved the offense or so it would seem.

Maybe it is just me but I am taking the wait and see position. If he sucks this year then we can all say he sucks. I think going into this year with Heinicke as the starter would have been a mistake.
stafford and wilson were on the trade block , not allen or mahomes