• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Comedy SILVER out of Calgary

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So it sounds like a permanent roof for the new stadium - A retractable roof would have been ideal, but likely would have added hundreds of millions of dollars.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it ever was going to look good BBB, but those cuts to education and health care are already happening and likely will continue to happen. For example, registered nurses in BC are being phased out and practical nurses are taking over. Why? Well, you don't have to pay a practical nurse with 52 weeks training at Sprott-Shaw as much as you do a 4 year university trained registered nurse.
But they had half a billi for BC Place and god only knows how much for the Olympics.

It's really a small amount. A few hundred million doesn't go very far these days in big cities. I think I just see these kinds of expenditures as the most visible example of how our governments bend over backwards to special interests and big business.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will say this, Calgary seems to get a lot of mileage out of their arenas and stadiums. The Saddledome will be close to 40 years old when the new arena is ready and McMahon Stadium will be 60 years old.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The mayor speaketh:

The following is a statement from Mayor Naheed Nenshi regarding the "CalgaryNext" announcement made earlier today:

Today, the Calgary Sports and Entertainment Corporation (the company that owns the Calgary Flames and Stampeders, among other professional sports teams) released an intriguing proposal for a new arena, sports fieldhouse, and football stadium. This project has been in the works for some time, and I am pleased that the Flames ownership group is now engaging the public on what they would like to see. I also appreciate that the ownership group has come forward with a definitive financial commitment—something that has rarely been seen in other cities.

However, there are a number of challenges that must now be addressed:

The proposal has not been part of The City's comprehensive capital planning process, and does not form part of the plan, under which the City's capital funds are fully allocated through 2018.
The proposal includes incorporating The City’s proposed (and much-needed) fieldhouse into the facility. However, that project, while a very high priority for the City, remains unfunded.
The funding proposal includes a $250 million “ticket tax”, but it is unclear if The City will be asked to provide the upfront financing for this.

The proposed site requires significant expenditures to remediate the environmental contamination there. That remediation is also unfunded.

In addition, the proposal requires the contribution of land, a community revitalization levy and significant investments in infrastructure to make the West Village a complete and vibrant community.

Therefore, there are very significant requirements for public funding beyond the fieldhouse funding, and there is currently no money.

I have said for a long time—and continue to strongly believe—that public money must be for public benefit and not private profit. The question for Council, the ownership group, and all Calgarians is whether this proposal meets that test.

That said, I truly appreciate the efforts of the ownership group in bringing forward an innovative project in a thoughtful, professional, and ethical way. I firmly believe that these Calgarians want to do something exceptional for our community.

City Council will ensure that that there is significant public engagement and will work cooperatively with the Calgary Sports and Entertainment Corporation and the other orders of government to determine whether this project is viable.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
General feeling I'm getting about the Flames/Stamps presentation yesterday is less than enthusiastic - Also, I think a lot of people are thinking you've been at this for how many years and you're not further along? Who knows at this point how long it will be until shovels are in the ground (gotta clean up the contaminated soil from the creosote plant first which will likely be a $300 million bill and I'm not sure who's on the hook for that little item).

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
General feeling I'm getting about the Flames/Stamps presentation yesterday is less than enthusiastic - Also, I think a lot of people are thinking you've been at this for how many years and you're not further along? Who knows at this point how long it will be until shovels are in the ground (gotta clean up the contaminated soil from the creosote plant first which will likely be a $300 million bill and I'm not sure who's on the hook for that little item).
The fact the funding isn't secured is problem #1. Given how long that dragged out in Edmonton, and given that money is even tighter now in Alberta and Calgary, Flames will likely still be playing at the Saddledome by the end of this decade.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giordano contract is done - 6 years, AAV of $6.75 million. Me happy.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That seems like pretty good value to me.

When Kypreos tweeted out the initial numbers of 8 years and 9 million per season, my initial reaction was no way Jose. Gio definitely left some money on the table, I would have preferred 5 years over 6, but I never thought I would see the AAV under 7 million. Great work by Treliving getting the captain signed.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, just great to have this signed, sealed and delivered before the start of the season, one less thing/distraction to worry about. Definitely looks like either Dennis Wideman or Kris Russell will have to be moved out though, my preference would be Wideman.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When Kypreos tweeted out the initial numbers of 8 years and 9 million per season, my initial reaction was no way Jose. Gio definitely left some money on the table, I would have preferred 5 years over 6, but I never thought I would see the AAV under 7 million. Great work by Treliving getting the captain signed.
For sure. If he had hit the market he would have gotten a lot more than what he did. Not sure that he would have gotten that $9M that was rumo(u)red, but he definitely have been able to get something in the 7 years/$55M range.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hanging out in Calgary for a couple weeks for work and this smoke in the air today is pretty crazy.

The whole city smells like a camp fire.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hanging out in Calgary for a couple weeks for work and this smoke in the air today is pretty crazy.

The whole city smells like a camp fire.

It's been the driest summer I've ever experienced in 7 years here in BC - The forest fire smoke is likely heading east and collecting in the foothills of the Rockies.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's been the driest summer I've ever experienced in 7 years here in BC - The forest fire smoke is likely heading east and collecting in the foothills of the Rockies.
The jet stream is apparently in a perfect pattern to essentially form a smokey superhighway from the fires in Washington straight over Calgary.

They even issued a health warning for people with respiratory illnesses (being lazy and out of shape doesn't count as a respiratory illness, right?).

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Little late, but Calgary did decent seeing as how they absolutely had to do this. Now he needs to play 82 games.