• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Comedy Platinum out of Toronto - "Canada's Team" quest for the Cup

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Soooo Marleau. Hate the idea of giving up assets to get out of the third year. Cant see anything on the LAK or ANA roster that would make sense. Looking at the Yotes and Galchenyuk jumps right off the screen.

No I dont want him on the Leafs. At least not at $4.9M AAV. Still trying to understand capology, but if the Leafs get Galchenyuk and buy him out, the $6.25M Marleau cap hit becomes an $816,667 cap hit for the next two years. At least I think it does. If I am reading Capfriendly correctly.

If so, I would prefer that result as it saves about $5.4M of cap this year and we do not lose any other asset.

Is this doable under cap rules?

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Soooo Marleau. Hate the idea of giving up assets to get out of the third year. Cant see anything on the LAK or ANA roster that would make sense. Looking at the Yotes and Galchenyuk jumps right off the screen.

No I dont want him on the Leafs. At least not at $4.9M AAV. Still trying to understand capology, but if the Leafs get Galchenyuk and buy him out, the $6.25M Marleau cap hit becomes an $816,667 cap hit for the next two years. At least I think it does. If I am reading Capfriendly correctly.

If so, I would prefer that result as it saves about $5.4M of cap this year and we do not lose any other asset.

Is this doable under cap rules?
I don't know why AZ would want to trade Galchenyuk and they're not really flush with cap space either so what are the Leafs giving AZ to make this trade?

Because if it's anything significant, I'm saying forget it and I'll deal with Marleau for another year.

And I think they're going to have to do that anyway - he's owed a $3 mil bonus on July 1 so trading him before that is probably not an option. They'd either have to have a deal arranged before then that the other side doesn't break or find a trade partner after July 1 after most teams have done their heavy spending. Tough ask.

I think the Leafs can get lucky and make a good deal to move Zaitsev out. I think they really, really want to move on from Kadri after what happened again this spring. I think they'll try to get someone to overpay on Brown but will wind up with a 3rd rounder or something, which is fine. And I think that will be the extent of their cap savings. And from that $25 million they'll have to sign Mitch and Kapanen (assume Johnsson's gone) and acquire a new 3C or top 6 winger and 2 cheapish defencemen. Moving Marleau makes all of that both easier and sweeter but the opportunity cost is probably going to be too high and the alternative isn't all that bad.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought we had agreed that the Leafs were trading Kapanen to the Flames for Brodie once you guys find a landing spot for Zaitsev.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought we had agreed that the Leafs were trading Kapanen to the Flames for Brodie once you guys find a landing spot for Zaitsev.
*looks at last d-man the Leafs acquired from Calgary*

Nope. Nooooooope. Nope nope nope.

Lana?

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know why AZ would want to trade Galchenyuk and they're not really flush with cap space either so what are the Leafs giving AZ to make this trade?

You touch on it a little later. After July 1, Marleau is a $6.25M cap hit that will cost in actual dollars around $1.5M. For teams that are watching their pennies, that is a good deal. [Even better if that team needs to reach the floor. The Yotes dont fit that any longer, but none of the West Coast teams do either. ]

The presumed motivation for Arizona is to get out from under a $4.9M cash outlay this year for a guy whose best season in the last 3 was 19 goals and 51 points.

Admittedly, it only makes sense if Arizona is still tight with cash.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You touch on it a little later. After July 1, Marleau is a $6.25M cap hit that will cost in actual dollars around $1.5M. For teams that are watching their pennies, that is a good deal. [Even better if that team needs to reach the floor. The Yotes dont fit that any longer, but none of the West Coast teams do either. ]

The presumed motivation for Arizona is to get out from under a $4.9M cash outlay this year for a guy whose best season in the last 3 was 19 goals and 51 points.

Admittedly, it only makes sense if Arizona is still tight with cash.
Yeah and who the hell knows where AZ will be ownership and spending wise next week, next month, next year etc.

I guess I just look at it strictly from a hockey sense because they seemed to be a good team who were absolutely decimated by injuries this season. Got to think they want to be in the mix next year.

/FWIW, if the Leafs did get Galchenyuk back in any Marleau deal I'd want to keep him for the year, both because I think that's a great pickup in a position of need and because it will make Montreal fans' heads explode almost as much as if we grabbed PK.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
/FWIW, if the Leafs did get Galchenyuk back in any Marleau deal I'd want to keep him for the year, both because I think that's a great pickup in a position of need and because it will make Montreal fans' heads explode almost as much as if we grabbed PK.

@Comeds approves this message

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For what, the RFA rights to Leivo? :pound:

Not sure what's happening with Edler, would Jim Benning let him walk away for nothing? If they're not going to re-sign Edler, they're going to need to replace him somehow.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure what's happening with Edler, would Jim Benning let him walk away for nothing? If they're not going to re-sign Edler, they're going to need to replace him somehow.

I do like hearing that there is interest in Zaitsev. Just not sure what a realistic trade might look like. I bet VCR would love to unload Roussel or Beagle, but then we are trading bad contract for bad contract. No idea what a TOR_VCR might look like here.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do like hearing that there is interest in Zaitsev. Just not sure what a realistic trade might look like. I bet VCR would love to unload Roussel or Beagle, but then we are trading bad contract for bad contract. No idea what a TOR_VCR might look like here.
I suppose it could be Sutter if the Leafs do end up trading Kadri.

Which is kinda terrifying but...ya know, thanks Lou.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I suppose it could be Sutter if the Leafs do end up trading Kadri.

Which is kinda terrifying but...ya know, thanks Lou.

I could see that, the Canucks could use a new Maxim Lapierre or Alex Burrows and Kadri definitely falls into that category.

:behindsofa:

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, is truculence returning to the Leafs?

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who are Nazeem Kadri and Jacob Troubda?!?