• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Comedy Platinum out of Toronto - "Canada's Team" quest for the Cup

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And now we know who the #3 was saved for !

Trivia - who was the only draft pick of TOR before CHI took Justin Holl in the second round of the 2010 draft?

(hint, he never played a game in the NHL)

Just a wild ass guess - Tyler Biggs?

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so this Liljegren for Tanev thing is out there ... not sure if Botchford is validating it or just not saying its all bullshit in order to get people reading the provies tonight lol :think:

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I tend to agree with some of the talking heads. I dont see the Leafs trading for D at the deadline. A 4th line centre MAYBE, but not mediocre defense. I think this season has shown that their farm system is capable of providing serviceable depth forwards and defencemen.

If I were guessing, TOR stands pat.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I tend to agree with some of the talking heads. I dont see the Leafs trading for D at the deadline. A 4th line centre MAYBE, but not mediocre defense. I think this season has shown that their farm system is capable of providing serviceable depth forwards and defencemen.

If I were guessing, TOR stands pat.
I wouldn't call Tanev mediocre, but if they are going to include Littlegrin in a deal for another d-man it'd be nice to get one that averages more than 50 games a season.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't call Tanev mediocre, but if they are going to include Littlegrin in a deal for another d-man it'd be nice to get one that averages more than 50 games a season.

it should be interesting here ... no one knows what Lou is thinking as he is so secretive but I think babcock still has a hardon ( :noidea: ) for a revisit of the Rielly/Tanev tandem

that being said youre right ... Tanev literally leaves the ice once per game at this point with some sort of knock/injury

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't call Tanev mediocre,

I have not seen him play and haven't looked at the fancy stats. But the old school measures are pretty meh.

28 years old - OK
Highest goals in one year - 6 - meh
Highest points in one year - 20 - meh meh
Highest PIM in one year - 14

Seems like he doesnt score much, isn't a physical player. Not sure what he brings that we cant get already out of Carrick or Dermott. Borgman has as many points as Tanev this year.

Again, I have not seen him play, does he have the ever-so-valuable intangibles?

No way you give up on last year's first rounder for Tanev.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have not seen him play and haven't looked at the fancy stats. But the old school measures are pretty meh.

28 years old - OK

Seems like he doesnt score much, isn't a physical player. Not sure what he brings that we cant get already out of Carrick or Dermott. Borgman has as many points as Tanev this year.

He's good at moving the puck, has good positioning, is a RHD. Leafs could use all of that and he'd be an excellent partner long-term for Rielly, if only he could stay healthy (big if). Like jstew said, they were great at the World Champs as a pair a few years ago (weren't on the ice for any goals against).

it should be interesting here ... no one knows what Lou is thinking as he is so secretive
Babcock kinda threw it to him yesterday by saying he told the players to play well enough to make Lou make a move. They came out, uh, pretty well last night in showing Tavares what could be.

The Leafs’ hardest stretch of the schedule is behind them. 7 of their 14 games this month before the deadline are against non-playoff teams ATM (although they play TB and BOS twice each). They should be able to play well enough so that if there’s a deal possible they can pull the trigger.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sieve - yes
28 years old - OK

very sturdy analysis BG Dave lol ... i threw one in there that also works for you

he has long been a fancy stats darling ...almost since day 1 in the league ... theres alot of analysis out there lol

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FWIW, I would give up a lot for Ryan Macdonagh but I would probably wind up disappointed if they gave up Liljegren or too many other prospects for any other d-man available. If that's how it has to be I'm much happier doing something like last season and grabbing another Boyle for nothing much and hoping for the best.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
very sturdy analysis BG Dave lol ... i threw one in there that also works for you

he has long been a fancy stats darling ...almost since day 1 in the league ... theres alot of analysis out there lol

Now, you know as well as I do that only goalies can be sieves :D

Not sure how it came across, but it was an honest question. I was not trying to rip the guy (unlike 99% of net posters) by speaking out my @$$. I appreciate the insights you all provide.

Last edited:

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
if I recall correctly, the biggest thing about Tanev's fancy stats are that he makes everyone around him significantly better.
excellent positionally, really calms things down in his own end.
when he is hurt, canucks are much more likely to be a tire fire on the blueline

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Small sample size for sure, but that is 2 in a row where the Leafs dressed their fastest players and the opposition just couldn't hang. And the team is starting to show signs of keeping the pedal to the metal for 60 minutes and not letting the opposition get back into it. Very important development point.

Holl looks like the next #4, with a goal in each of his first two NHL games (j/k). Nice story though.

I like the D corps the way it is right now. I am even liking Carrick. For the regular season, with the addition of Rielly, I see no need to give up valuable assets for D. As BBB said though, if you are talking McDonough level D, maybe.

I am still not convinced the defence is built to succeed in the playoffs, when the opponents are (a) better and (b) ramp up the physicality 100%. But no, I do not want to see the Polaks and Martins in the playoffs. Unless we were up against the Ducks in the SCF (not happening).

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Small sample size for sure, but that is 2 in a row where the Leafs dressed their fastest players and the opposition just couldn't hang. And the team is starting to show signs of keeping the pedal to the metal for 60 minutes and not letting the opposition get back into it. Very important development point.
4 in a row - they used almost the same lineup but with Rielly and Hainsey instead of Holl and Zaitsev in the two games before the ASG.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4 in a row - they used almost the same lineup but with Rielly and Hainsey instead of Holl and Zaitsev in the two games before the ASG.

My ADD kicks in once again. The last two were as dominant for 60 minutes as I have seen the Leafs in, well, a long long time.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

28 years old - OK

How many more penalty minutes would he need for you to be impressed? :wink: