• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Comedy Kraken Jokes in Seattle

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I recall some mention recently of CBJ losing significant chunks of change.

Hardly.

They are counting the fact that Nationwide footed the bill for the Arena and stuck their name on it in perpetuity so the team can't sell the rights to name it as a "loss" of money.

They haven't "lost" a penny. They just aren't making as much as they could be.

Nationwide is trying to "sell" the arena to the city, who will in turn rent it to the Jackets and then give the Jackets naming rights so they can have Nationwide pay up to 10 mil per yer to keep their name on it. As it stands now, the Jackets pay Nationwide for everything and the City gets pretty much nothing except tax revenue.

Everyone seems okay with it except the taxpayers who are going to foot the bill for everyone involved to make even more money.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Blue Jackets have kept it quiet in terms of their losses, but they've had a tough time. If Chuck doesn't get a YES vote on August 1st the Isles could be a team on the move after 2015. I think Chuck would look to Queens or somewhere else outside Nassau County first though.

Really hope the Isles get a new place. I know plenty of Islander fans here in Jersey that aren't willing to make the trip out to Long Island A: Because the team isn't worth traveling that distance to watch (mostly because free agents don't want to play in a building that's ancient) and B: because the arena is a dump. This isn't a matter of lack of interest like it is in other financially strapped markets. A new arena will work wonders for them.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hardly.

They are counting the fact that Nationwide footed the bill for the Arena and stuck their name on it in perpetuity so the team can't sell the rights to name it as a "loss" of money.

They haven't "lost" a penny. They just aren't making as much as they could be.

Nationwide is trying to "sell" the arena to the city, who will in turn rent it to the Jackets and then give the Jackets naming rights so they can have Nationwide pay up to 10 mil per yer to keep their name on it. As it stands now, the Jackets pay Nationwide for everything and the City gets pretty much nothing except tax revenue.

Everyone seems okay with it except the taxpayers who are going to foot the bill for everyone involved to make even more money.

Attendance/season ticket base has eroded over the years though hasn't it?

I realize that the reports of losses was an attempt to rework their horrific lease though

They're at $58 mill for their cap so they're finally stepping up a notch ... Highest payroll ever for them

We'll see how truly committed ownership is ... What do they do in the first couple months if the team falters? Do they dump salary quick?
That will be a good indicator the financial state of the franchise

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Attendance/season ticket base has eroded over the years though hasn't it?

I realize that the reports of losses was an attempt to rework their horrific lease though

They're at $58 mill for their cap so they're finally stepping up a notch ... Highest payroll ever for them

We'll see how truly committed ownership is ... What do they do in the first couple months if the team falters? Do they dump salary quick?
That will be a good indicator the financial state of the franchise

Last year attendance overall fell by about 9%. Considering the economy, the Buckeyes (undeserved) success and the teams poor performance, I guess it was expected.

The season tickets took a hit as a lot of the corporations that gave tickets away in promotions in previous years scaled back. I don't personally know any regular season ticket holders that gave up their tickets. They sold me lots :)

This year with (likely) no NBA or NFL, the Buckeyes being disgraced and a much better looking team on the ice, it should get considerably better. They certainly need to prove something to the local, casual fans. They are the difference between 13,000 and 17,000 per night.

The ownership is committed. Will be an interesting year.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really hope the Isles get a new place. I know plenty of Islander fans here in Jersey that aren't willing to make the trip out to Long Island A: Because the team isn't worth traveling that distance to watch (mostly because free agents don't want to play in a building that's ancient) and B: because the arena is a dump. This isn't a matter of lack of interest like it is in other financially strapped markets. A new arena will work wonders for them.

Last year the Islanders were expecting about 1500 people for their Blue vs White prospects game. Over 5000 people showed up. The game costs 10 bucks & all of it goes to CHARITY. I bet they get an even bigger crowd this year.

Most people in the know expect the bond issue to pass.

Ties5o11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
us folks on the west coast have very little sympathy for anyone else's travel woes.

That was kinda my point. It makes life easier on everybody, especially a team like Vancouver who would travel to Winnipeg and Seattle as opposed to Nashville and Detroit.

On top of travel issues, I know Detroit was complaining that a lot of Red Wings games start at 10:30 local time, which is very inconvenient for their fans.

I would love Seattle in the NHL, look how well they support the MLS, its a good sports town and would do well IMO.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think a team in Seattle or Portland makes a lot of sense. Especially from a divisional standpoint.

Vancouver
Calgary
Edmonton
Wnnipeg
Seattle or Portland

They could also be put in the Pacific Division.
Sharks
Kings
Ducks
Yotes
Seattle/Portland

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:thumb: Better than Arizona.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Elliotte Friedman talked about it yesterday??? or was it Saturday? (weekend days become 1 for me)

someone made a freedom of information request and the process seems further along than anyone knew ... talked about Don Levin (AHL Chicago Wolves owner) being part of any deal for an arena in Seattle area

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and I still dont know how an NHL team would play out in Seattle ... that would mean they have 5 major league sports franchises (I include MLS Sounders because they seem to treat their team as major league if you look at attendance and support)

alot of teams would be fighting for the fans sports dollars

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and I still dont know how an NHL team would play out in Seattle ... that would mean they have 5 major league sports franchises (I include MLS Sounders because they seem to treat their team as major league if you look at attendance and support)

alot of teams would be fighting for the fans sports dollars

I've thought about that too. You could even up the number to 6 "pro" teams if you include Washington Huskies football. It would definitely be difficult to sustain good attendances for all 6. I think the Seahawks, Huskies and Sounders would do fine. So it would be between NBA, NHL and the Mariners, and to be honest as things stand right now, it would be the Mariners that would be hurting the most. No one would go pay to watch a loser when there was so much else to choose from.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Destroy and Nazzyfan, would you guys switch allegiances???

:D

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:L Why can't they just come to Milwaukee already?

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:L Why can't they just come to Milwaukee already?

Haven't lived in WI for 9 years now, but from what I remember the only two hockey towns were Superior and Madison. And maybe Ashwaubenon too.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know WE ARE ALL CANUCKS but I wonder how many on Vancouver Island might switch their allegiances to Seattle ... Victoria to Seattle is just a ferry ride :noidea:

/dash: heres your chance

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know WE ARE ALL CANUCKS but I wonder how many on Vancouver Island might switch their allegiances to Seattle ... Victoria to Seattle is just a ferry ride :noidea:

/dash: heres your chance

That's true, the Victoria Clipper (aka Barf Barge) takes you right to the heart of Seattle in right around two hours. I'm just a stubborn old coot though, one of these years the Flames will make the playoffs.

beantownmaniac

I thought growing old would take longer
Hoopla Cash
$ 304.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Blue Jackets have kept it quiet in terms of their losses, but they've had a tough time. If Chuck doesn't get a YES vote on August 1st the Isles could be a team on the move after 2015. I think Chuck would look to Queens or somewhere else outside Nassau County first though.

I think the Isles moving to Queens makes the most sense for them and can actually see it happening in the very near future if Nassau doesn't build a new arena. Not sure if the team name of Islanders will make sense if that's the case, but I guess they would be an Island in a sea of inhumanity? :think: