• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Comedy IRONy out of Pittsburgh

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously how can this guy with a straight face truly think DeShits is a good backup (well he is good if he only has to play 20 games a season, anymore you are SOL) and that Legare will be in the NHL?

I find myself disagreeing with him more and more as time goes by. I hate to think he's going the contrarian route just to get clicks.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I find myself disagreeing with him more and more as time goes by. I hate to think he's going the contrarian route just to get clicks.
Same here and by no means do I think the Penguins won this trade but not sure how this deal did anything of value for the Sharks and for the Habs got rid of Hoffman in turn took on an overpriced backup goalie and Petry. As for the Penguins they were already in a no-lose situation, as they shedded a lot of crap but took on a less smelly piece of crap.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

@Comeds this you?

Seriously how can this guy with a straight face truly think DeShits is a good backup (well he is good if he only has to play 20 games a season, anymore you are SOL) and that Legare will be in the NHL?
If you can get 60 games out of your starter any backup above .905 is about replacement level and DeSmith should get you that.

But DeSmith might legit be the Habs starter so that’s bad.

Also, who’s going to backup for Jarry now? Given how Dubas has approached backups during his career I’d be a little frightened.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you can get 60 games out of your starter any backup above .905 is about replacement level and DeSmith should get you that.

But DeSmith might legit be the Habs starter so that’s bad.

Also, who’s going to backup for Jarry now? Given how Dubas has approached backups during his career I’d be a little frightened.
If he plays more than 20 you are in trouble, his game is best suited to be a third goalie but unfortunately was paid like a backup. His numbers look better on paper than they really are, and like Jarry can't stay healthy for any length of time.

As for their backup they signed Nedeljkovic who is essentially a one to one replacement for DeShits and possibly could handle a larger game load.
And to back them up they have Hellberg in WBS along with their top goalie prospect Blomqvist.

So essentially they are in the same spot with backup goalie as last year but spending 300k less.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he plays more than 20 you are in trouble. His numbers look better on paper than they really are, as like Jarry can't stay healthy.

As for their backup they signed Nedeljkovic who is essentially a one to one replacement for DeShits and possibly could handle a larger game load.
And to back them up they have Hellberg in WBS along with their top goalie prospect Blomqvist.

So essentially they are in the same spot with backup goalie as last year but spending 300k less.

Sounds like you need a Dan Vladar. You don't need Alex Nylander and it would follow a great Flames tradition of having the less talented brother.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like you need a Dan Vladar.

If you've got a Kid, then you definitely need a father. Join them Erik Karlsson... and together you will rule the 6th or 7th playoff position in the East!

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
capitals-young-guns-poster.jpg

nnijcspDshbt.jpg

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he plays more than 20 you are in trouble, his game is best suited to be a third goalie but unfortunately was paid like a backup. His numbers look better on paper than they really are, and like Jarry can't stay healthy for any length of time.

You've watched far more DeShits classics than I have obviously but the 3 seasons before last when he was pressed into service as Jarry got hurt he'd averaged .915 over about 30 games. That's pretty ok for backup numbers considering some of the backups out there.

Not sure about Nedeljkovic handling a bigger load though. Or any load. Looks like Waddell may have been right on that one.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ovechkin -Laich's -Semin line was a killer. :D

My most hilarious fan moment to this day is in Pittsburgh at the Winter Classic where a Pens' fan sees a#28 jersey at the urinal, comes up beside the guy and says.... "Hey you've got a little semen on your back."

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You've watched far more DeShits classics than I have obviously but the 3 seasons before last when he was pressed into service as Jarry got hurt he'd averaged .915 over about 30 games. That's pretty ok for backup numbers considering some of the backups out there.

Not sure about Nedeljkovic handling a bigger load though. Or any load. Looks like Waddell may have been right on that one.

We shall see on Nedeljkovic as his numbers were awful when he was a started in Detroit in front of an awful team but on the other end backing up in Carolina with a great defense his numbers were superb. Have a feeling he will fall in the middle somewhere like DeSmith. But I do know the Penguins did destroy him in the past and still feel that Jarry HAS to stay healthy or they are SOL at goalie. The only true difference is they are spending less money.

As for DeSmith he gets often exposed but in very short spurts will do well. I think that is why his numbers seem better than they are.
If you take out his outliers (high and low - mainly games he came in relief) he falls into that sub .900 area which seems about right for him.

Last edited:

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3