• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Combine

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heard some good stuff from Matt on the combine this morning. Said the week is full of classes, tests, interviews, meetings past midnight, and when the draftees are at their weakest point at the end of the week is when they run their 40 times. Dont buy into it. Look at the linebackers and their first 10 yard times. Makes sense, if he cant get to the back the first 10 yards he is gone anyway.

Pointing at the bears drafting a 343 pound DT at 7 Danny Shelton, strongest position on our roster, where that end rushing LB slated for 3-4 glory is Fowler who some think can actually go first.

Anyone hoping for some "bad" numbers and the QB to fall or is it defense, defense than more defense? We may already have a QB in waiting mode in Fales, seems we are keeping a tight lid on him so nobody snatches him up when its practice squad time

C

cubzzzfanincali

Pace has stated he is a strong adherent of "best player available", regardless of position. GMs often say that, but the proof will be in his actions. GMs always seem to do some position-shaving from areas of need.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[QUOTE="anotheridiot, post:

Anyone hoping for some "bad" numbers and the QB to fall or is it defense, (( I would love a QB to fall to us, who is on/playing defense does not really matter when your leading the league in turnovers.))

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pace has stated he is a strong adherent of "best player available", regardless of position. GMs often say that, but the proof will be in his actions. GMs always seem to do some position-shaving from areas of need.

I can buy that BPA with the later rounds, even if you are a playoff team picking late in the first round, but the 7th pick you really should be focusing on something more than BPA.

C

cubzzzfanincali

I think the first pick is actually the most important place for BPA. Players are more generic in the later rounds.

But whatever, I know there are many different opinions on the subject, the one that matters isn't yours or mine, it's Pace's. For what it's worth, and these are only words, but here's what he had to say recently on the subject:

"When I first started with the Saints, I might have just become a pro scout or a scouting assistant. We were in the draft. I want to be honest with you guys, honest assessment. When I talk about taking best player available, you have to be careful in the draft ... that's what I believe in. In the draft, it can be human nature to want to push up a position that you need. And that doesn't happen on draft day. That happens in the process leading into the draft, right? So we're talking about defensive linemen. We really need a D-lineman. Hey I know we don't have great grades on this player, but we're pushing him up because we need it. So we drafted a defensive tackle in 2003 that didn't end up being a good player for us, and I think that was partly because we pushed him up because of need. We should've just taken best player available. Honest answer."

We will see what happens.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[QUOTE="anotheridiot, post:

Anyone hoping for some "bad" numbers and the QB to fall or is it defense, (( I would love a QB to fall to us, who is on/playing defense does not really matter when your leading the league in turnovers.))

I don't see this happening Noon... If a QB drops I see a team below us trading up to above us to keep the Jets from taking the second QB. No doubt in my mind TB is taking a QB at #1. With no trade the Jets will take QB #2.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well with all the needs we have and the 7th pick,whatever position we draft first could be called the "bpa"....

I`m sure he will be the top rated player for that position........

The only team I ever see that would tip their hat on what player they would take no.1 is the first team to draft.other than that,you`re right,pace will not tip off the league who he wants.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heard some good stuff from Matt on the combine this morning. Said the week is full of classes, tests, interviews, meetings past midnight, and when the draftees are at their weakest point at the end of the week is when they run their 40 times. Dont buy into it. Look at the linebackers and their first 10 yard times. Makes sense, if he cant get to the back the first 10 yards he is gone anyway.

Pointing at the bears drafting a 343 pound DT at 7 Danny Shelton, strongest position on our roster, where that end rushing LB slated for 3-4 glory is Fowler who some think can actually go first.

Anyone hoping for some "bad" numbers and the QB to fall or is it defense, defense than more defense? We may already have a QB in waiting mode in Fales, seems we are keeping a tight lid on him so nobody snatches him up when its practice squad time

http://sports.yahoo.com/video/nfl-h...426215.html?format=embed&player_autoplay=true

Damn............This dude is massive.

I still think he should`ve been able to strip the ball there........:lol:

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont even know if he will be making the decisions on draft day. I think he was just a guy in the room with Payton in New Orleans making the decision on the pick. I still and pretty sure Fox got alot of control with roster and draft decisions.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
http://sports.yahoo.com/video/nfl-h...426215.html?format=embed&player_autoplay=true

Damn............This dude is massive.

I still think he should`ve been able to strip the ball there........:lol:

While not impressed with his 40 time, frankly who cares, his 42" vertical was pretty amazing. D. Rose had a 42" vertical at his pro day before the Bulls drafted him.

I have heard folks talk about how a 3-4 doesn't necessarily require a big fat guy to play NT, I think it sure would be helpful. If he falls to #7, I suspect he will be a Bear, unless Fowler also falls (which I don't expect).