• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Colorado Rockies Ongoing Thread

smf52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wheeler was brought up to replace Helton at 1st when Pacheco could have had some regular playing time. It would have made more sense to bring up Arenadoto replace Nelson whose performance has been underwhelming to say the least.

dgonaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they are going to wait until at least the middle of May or early June to promote Arenado. I am really kind of baffled by the promotion of Wheeler though as a Pacheco/Cuddyer platoon is fine there with Cuddyer sharing a platoon with Eric Young in the OF as well. I can think of several players I would have taken instead of Wheeler to take Helton's spot---an extra arm in the bullpen or perhaps an extra outfielder with Cuddyer getting more starts at 1st, perhaps even LeMahieu who is pretty versatile and can play pretty much anywhere in the infield. Wheeler just looked lost and confused his first game and considering he got a fair amount of big league time with Arizona before coming to Colorado you can't say it is just first exposer.

Also I think they are quietly trying to decide what to do with Wheeler and Nelson among other infield guys with have laying around still with no homes. I am still baffled by the Ryan Wheeler trade this offseason, I know he was extra insurance but we had tons of extra insurance already with LeMahieu, Herrera, and Brignac and we gave up a decent middle reliever for him. If we didn't get him to help flip someone I don't know what we got him for.

dgonaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Happy I am wrong they waiting to promote Nolan Arenado. After the game tonight every regular we have (including Pacheco and Young who get enough time to qualify as regulars) with the exception of Todd Helton and Josh Rutledge are all batting over .300.

Josh Rutledge despite not getting many hits isn't really striking out either most of his hits have been line outs. He is on pace currently for over 15 HR for the season and about 50 some walks to about 90 some strikeouts which isn't horrible numbers. If he keeps making contact with the ball he should raise his average back up to respectable levels (guessing similar to last year's .274).

Nice to see Arenado get hit first hit and first multi-hit and first home run all in the same game.

Think right now Ryan Wheeler is the least valuable member of the team. IF I were in charge I would send him back down in favor of Rob Scahill so we can get another arm in the bullpen who can in a pinch do some long relief. Rotation is still a very fragile thing with Chacin being down, Nicasio running up his pitch counts, and Francis being a little worrisome--not to mention Chattwood being a complete wild card on what you are going to get when he gets up on the mound.

Lopez seems to be settling down--he hasn't allowed a run in the last week and still hasn't walked anyone on the season.

Adam Ottavino has also settled down pretty well with almost two strikeouts per inning pitched on average and no walks in the last week.

Outman I dont' know what to make of this week, he had one really bad day against Atlanta--but it was Coor's Field and Atlanta was already swinging some hot bats. The rest of his apperances have been decent. I am willing to try to put last year behind us but it is still pretty fresh in my mind.

Denver&Gators

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If anyone should get sent down/traded/ or cut it should be Adam Ottavino.... He either strikes people out or gives up home runs. If anyone can blow a big lead its Ottavino. I don't get to watch many of the games but I don't think Ottavino has figured out how to pitch in altitude or the Majors yet.

Nicasio should be moved to the bullpen in a long relief role while keeping Chatwood in the rotation (Hell I would be willing to piggyback those two). I am hopeful that Drew Pomeranz will be replacing Francis in the rotation by the end of May.

I'm hoping that Helton can come back and be productive. He should be hitting in the 2 hole just because he can make an at bat last 10+ pitches, then still get a hit (single double) or move guys over. His days as an RBI Home run guy are long gone.

I'm excited to see what more Nolan Arenado can do

Silas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chatwood certainly pitched pretty well last night.

bored at work

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He hit pretty well last night too...

Kind of a stinker for the Dodgers though. The Rockies usually have lots of trouble against Lilly.

And I know this will sound a little petty after a 12 run output by the offense, but I wouldn't be surprised if that effort is followed up by the offense being shut out on 3 or 4 hits tonight.

dgonaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lineup tonight looks a bit weak (if it stands without Tulo playing we'll see) 1-4 isn't too bad but Pacheco batting 5th, Arenado batting 6th, Torrealba batting 7th, and Herrera batting 8th could be problematic. Rosario is available off the bench and I assume he will be in the lineup after De La Rosa is done for the night, maybe Tulo will be put in for a pinch hitting spot as well. Pacheco and Arenado might be able to put up some runs but dont' see them as ideal 5-6 spots in the lineup and there isn't a lot to be expected out of Torrealba and Herrera. Shows how much impact Tulo makes on the lineup as we do have depth at SS but not really offensive depth and we still have Torrealba making starts on De La Rosa days (which I agree it has worked out really well, but without Tulo it makes the lineup look really weak).

Silas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That lineup looks better than guys like Cruz and Sellers at the end of the Dodger lineup, though Ramirez is back in the lineup for once. Crawford was scratched due to a sore hamstring.

Lilly usually does pretty well against the Rockies. Turns out he was suffering from neck and back issues and is having an MRI on his surgically repaired shoulder. Looks like we might not be seeing Lilly any time soon. Just another Dodger pitcher with an ailment.

Yes, Chatwood did hit very well last night. He might turn out to be a fill-in pinch hitter from time to time.

bored at work

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Turns out he was suffering from neck and back issues and is having an MRI on his surgically repaired shoulder. Looks like we might not be seeing Lilly any time soon. Just another Dodger pitcher with an ailment.

Man.... I don't think there's anything more frustrating than when injury after injury after injury strikes. It can totally ruin a season

smf52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was so jealous of the Dodgers' pitching depth prior to the start of the season. Now I actually feel sorry for them with all of the trips to the DL. I would have given anything for the Rockies to package some of the extraneous infielders and a prospect to get some of the Dodgers extra talent at pitching but I am glad that didn't happen now as they have been fragile too. It just shows that no matter how much depth you have with starting pitchers, you can never feel safe that you can survive the injury bug once it starts infecting your team.

Silas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right now the only healthy starting pitchers the Dodgers have are Kershaw, Ryu, Beckett and McGill. I guess Capuano is healthy now, but technically, he's still on the DL and on a Rehab assignment.

Never thought by the end of April the Dodgers would be in this position either. But, I know no other team feels sorry for them, so they just have to send whomever they can out there and hope for the best.

I do feel badly for Clayton Kershaw who just lost his father.

smf52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel bad for Kershaw too and thought he would take more time for his bereavement leave.

Silas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know how much time players are allowed for that situation. Perhaps pitching will be the best solace for Clayton right now.

bored at work

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is there anyone slower to the plate than Josh Beckett? There's no way that Rafael Betancourt is any slower. Some guys make me wish there was a pitch clock, like there is a shot clock.

Silas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Slow is the way a lot of pitchers approach the game these days. Long gone are the games that last a couple of hours.

Results are what ultimately count and Beckett was knocked around tonight as the Rockies took the Series. Nice job by the Rockies, by the way.

I personally don't mind how long games take. It is one of the beauties of the game.

bored at work

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it was more noticeable to me because of the West coast start time and after two hours it was in the 4th inning still, and sleep was wanting to set in.

67RedSox

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I personally don't mind how long games take. It is one of the beauties of the game.

Silas, something you and I can agree to disagree on...partially. I do agree that one of the beautiful things about Baseball is that it's not played to a time clock. I do however hate 3hr+ hour games that could be played in 2:30 because batters feel the need to go through some ritual at the plate between every pitch...it drives me crazy and I blame it on velcro.

I know Dodger fans are not known to be the earliest to arrive at the ballpark but in watching the highlights of the last couple of games I couldn't believe how empty it was in the early innings and finding out there was 47,000 and 32,000 in attendance. Some folks must not arrive until the 4th inning or so...

Silas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
67RS.........I do agree about how it is so frustrating watching batters rearrange everything after every pitch. Time was when batters didn't wear gloves or body armor and such.

The Dodgers count tickets sold whether the ticket holder shows up or not. So, smaller crowds turn in to be larger looking crowds.

smf52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to belabor the point in front of Silas, but last night's game was a partial display of the good points of this ballclub. Fowler snatching Gonzalez's sure HR was a thing of beauty. His vertical jump height is amazing. Tulo coming back from an injury and knocking in those 2 early runs was like an "I'm back" announcement. Then seeing Cargo have a really good game emphasized that he was definitely out of his slump. Plus, the pitching was really good. It was nice to go to LA and come out with a series win.

C U Buff Fan1

Total Homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baseball is such a crazy game. Cargo looks totally inept at the plate in AZ, failing to drive in runs from 3rd with les than 2 outs twice, then gets to Dodger Stadium and is suddenly tearing it up. Winning 2 of 3 after the dumb baseball they played in AZ is a great sign, I think. Now lets have a great homestand against the Rays and Yanks.

it drives me crazy and I blame it on velcro.

You and Seinfelds dad.

[YOUTUBE]Seinfeld Clip - My Wallet's Gone - YouTube[/YOUTUBE]