• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

COLLEGE FOOTBALL DIVISION REALIGNMENT

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see what you are saying, but here is the problem with your argument. The schools are the NCAA ... the NCAA isn't some independent group. The schools and the NCAA are one and the same. If the schools in the 5 AQs decide that they want to split off in their own division, with their own rules (primarily paying players which the non-AQ teams can't afford), they will do so. There is nothing stopping them.

At that point, they have no more incentive than they do now to bring in non-AQ schools. If a school can't bring in money so that the pie gets bigger, they won't get an invite. The only thing you will see is Cincy, UConn, BYU and maybe a few others get into the ACC or the BIGXII. I think the BIGXII in particular has to get to 12 so they can do a CG. Then you would have 5 conferences in a division all of which play a CG. 4 team playoff for now, maybe goes to 8 for the new division championship.

You will then have a similar scenario with the remaining teams in their division.

I'm not quite sure where you are going with this but the statement "The schools and the NCAA are one and the same." perplexes me. I believe it was 1984 when the Supreme Court rules exactly the opposite and gave universities control of their own media rights. As college football stands now, the NCAA is involved only on a tertiary level. The have no say in the BCS whatsoever and the same can be said for the impending College Football Playoff.

To those that say that teams won't leave the NCAA, I wold say that , in a sense, they already have. Recruiting guidelines are probably the NCAA's only major control left and even that is questionable. The rules they passed in January received so much kick back that the suspended them. It would actually be a small leap for the conferences to form a separate division. Whether or that division stays under the NCAA umbrella is inconsequential.

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've had the discussion about the Pac going to 14, 16, etc teams with Boise fans who are delusional enough to think there is room for them many times. For all of the talk about bringing in more money everyone misses the real reason expansion just won't happen again unless they expand the schedule to add more games. RECRUITING. Adding the teams he mentioned would reduce the total number of games every team gets on the road in the state of california and for what? A chance to steal kids from Boise or some other backwater place?

It isn't going to happen. Period. Pac schools not in cali want those lucrative trips into that state to play big games in front of the most fertile recruiting grounds in the west. Recruiting isn't just a part of winning in college football, it is everything. There is no chance in hell the rest of the pac would forgo those trips for expanded conference money. EVER.

I agree with this also.

PhilSimms11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay. I've done some reconstructing to enable every conference to play a round robin schedule. It did require increasing the number of conferences of course. There are now 14 (9 conferences in one group and 5 in the other). The "Big Boy 9" will have a 16-team playoff with the 9 conference champions and 7 at-larges. The other 5 will have an 8-team playoff with 5 conference champs and 3 at-larges.

ACC (10)-South Carolina, Florida St, Maryland, Clemson, NC St, No Carolina, Wake, GA Tech, Virginia, Notre Dame

Big East (10)--West Virginia, Rutgers, UConn, Louisville, Boston Coll, Syracuse, Miami (FL), VA Tech, Pitt, Penn St

Big XII (10)--Arkansas, Cincinnati, No Illinois, Oklahoma, Oklahoma St, Kansas, Kansas St, Iowa St, Missouri, Nebraska

SWC (10)--Baylor, Texas, Texas A&M, TCU, Rice, Houston, SMU, No Texas, UTEP, Texas Tech

SEC (10)--Georgia, Tennessee, Florida, Alabama, Auburn, Ole Miss, Miss St, Vanderbilt, Kentucky, LSU

Pac-10 (10)--Cal, Stanford, Oregon, Oregon St, UCLA, USC, Arizona, Arizona St, Washington, Washington St

Big-10 (10)--Michigan, Ohio St, Northwestern, Indiana, Purdue, Minnesota, Illinois, Michigan St, Iowa, Wisconsin

MWC (10)--E Washington*, Montana*, Montana St*, BYU, Utah, Utah St, Colorado, Colorado St, New Mexico, New Mex St

Big West (10)--Boise St, Air Force, UNLV, Nevada, Fresno St, Hawaii, San Jose St, San Diego St, Idaho, Wyoming
----------------------------------------------
MAC (10)--Akron, Ohio, Ball St, EMU, CMU, WMU, Kent St, Bowling Green, Toledo, Miami (OH)

ECC (8)--UMass, Buffalo, Temple, Army, Navy, ODU, East Carolina, Marshall

C-USA (8)--W Kentucky, Texas St, UTSA, Tulsa, Midd Tenn St, So Miss, Duke, Arkansas St

SBC (8)--GA Southern, Georgia St, App St, Troy, FAU, FIU, UCF, USF

SAC (8)--LA Tech, Tulane, Charlotte, Memphis, UAB, UL-Lafayette, UL-Monroe, So Alabama

john01992

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this could be a good debate.but the second colorado got mentioned as being downgraded i lost all respect for the OP.

regardless of their FB record. in terms of school thats brings the most value to a conference, they are easily top 20-25. (id dare say they could break the top 20) theres no way they get downgraded

PhilSimms11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this could be a good debate.but the second colorado got mentioned as being downgraded i lost all respect for the OP.

regardless of their FB record. in terms of school thats brings the most value to a conference, they are easily top 20-25. (id dare say they could break the top 20) theres no way they get downgraded
Respect? With the scenario of no more than 10 teams in a conference to allow for a round robin schedule if I don't move Colorado out of the Pac which team should be moved? Arizona, Arizona St, Cal, Stanford, UCLA, USC, Oregon, Oregon St, Washington, Washington St??? Also, this is a football only situation. If you want Colorado to remain in the Pac-12 for all other sports that's fine by me. I'm simply speaking on the football issue. Also, they are 56-81 (.408) in their last 11+ seasons. I did keep them in the "top division" of college football by placing them in the Mountain West. That's a pretty good conference in my opinion. Does Colorado still have the reputation for having 'lack of institutional control' regarding the consumption of alcohol? I've heard over the years that it's kind of a party school. Just curious.:suds:

BigAppleBadger

On Wisconsin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So many things wrong with this.

Why are Nebraska and Mizzou back in the B12? And rest of Pac-12 would never let all the Cali teams be in one division.

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So many things wrong with this.

Why are Nebraska and Mizzou back in the B12? And rest of Pac-12 would never let all the Cali teams be in one division.

This divison re alignment thing is so ridiculously so far fetched its laughable.

I see where he is going with it. He wants a playoff and is throwing teams out of conferences and into fictional conferences.

But these things will never happen in any lifetime.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MWC (10)--E Washington*, Montana*, Montana St*, BYU, Utah, Utah St, Colorado, Colorado St, New Mexico, New Mex St

Big West (10)--Boise St, Air Force, UNLV, Nevada, Fresno St, Hawaii, San Jose St, San Diego St, Idaho, Wyoming

So these conferences get an auto bid?

How is that fair to the big 5 conferences?

Houston! We have a problem! All conferences are not created equal.

Don't care if their are 7 at large in yourn system. This is preposterous

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So these conferences get an auto bid?

How is that fair to the big 5 conferences?

Houston! We have a problem! All conferences are not created equal.

Don't care if their are 7 at large in yourn system. This is preposterous

I think guessing is fun but ultimately useless. There seems little doubt that Division 1 is going to get split up in some manner. The timeline is for January discussions------Spring proposals and Summer voting. I still think the max that get into the new division is 60-64 universities. They have to find a way to even out the conferences whether it be (4) 16-team or (5) 12-team conferences. My money is on Delaney as the first "commissioner". I know his is.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think guessing is fun but ultimately useless. There seems little doubt that Division 1 is going to get split up in some manner. The timeline is for January discussions------Spring proposals and Summer voting. I still think the max that get into the new division is 60-64 universities. They have to find a way to even out the conferences whether it be (4) 16-team or (5) 12-team conferences. My money is on Delaney as the first "commissioner". I know his is.

Well there will have to be 2 - 14 team conferences. They aren't going to reshuffle the SEC or B1G.

PAC wont go above or below 12. ACC is locked in.

Big12 is the wild card.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well there will have to be 2 - 14 team conferences. They aren't going to reshuffle the SEC or B1G.

PAC wont go above or below 12. ACC is locked in.

Big12 is the wild card.

The B1G and the SEC could always absorb two more. Regarding the B12/ ACC issues, there is enough money to make their "agreements" go away.

I think you mean Texas is the wild card.

Don't fight it, it is going to happen in some form. LawDawg can tell you it is impossible but it isn't.

PhilSimms11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Division 1-AA (FCS) was formed in 1978 and they've expanded the playoff field 4 times.

1978-80 (4)
1981 (8)
1982-85 (12)
1986-2009 (16)
2010-present (20)

Hopefully, in the near future, something similar will happen for the majors. It's long overdue. The 'M' word will dictate of course.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congrats to the OP for looking at a map and dividing up the FBS schools.

PhilSimms11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congrats to the OP for looking at a map and dividing up the FBS schools.
Thank you. I just.......WAIT A MINUTE. That was sarcasm, wasn't it? People are calling me the OP. I feel so gangsta.