• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

COLLEGE FOOTBALL DIVISION REALIGNMENT

BigRedMoe

Highly Polished Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nobody is going to re-join the Big XII. The Big 8 maybe.

And downgrading Colorado..... ??? :wtf2:

USCDoom

Death On Black Wings
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am no Geography Wiz but I am almost Positive LA is a lot further East than Seattle...

Here is hoping if the Academic Institutions of this Country make alignment based on Geography, it is Fucking Correct Geography........

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just not true. There are NO conference alignments at this point. And I repeat, the 4th conference will likely be a combination of the ACC and SEC. It will happen.

you are wrong.

I could post the facts here but I will wait for an ACC honk to come in and splain it way better than I could.

Paging Gene???????

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am no Geography Wiz but I am almost Positive LA is a lot further East than Seattle...

Here is hoping if the Academic Institutions of this Country make alignment based on Geography, it is Fucking Correct Geography........

LA is farther east than Las Vegas isn't it?

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just not true. There are NO conference alignments at this point. And I repeat, the 4th conference will likely be a combination of the ACC and SEC. It will happen.

they just signed an iron clad agreement in the ACC. Those teams aren't going anywhere dude.

Absolutely zero benefit to do so.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Deals are irrelevant at this point. ND would buy their way out in a heartbeat if the other conferences bolted and the ACC didn't.

To the contrary, the ACC doing an assignment of media rights totally put the breaks on the re-alignment for a decade. ND is a different beast, but they are the only one. Their media rights don't include football, so they really don't matter.

The only way the assignment of rights doesn't matter is if all those teams listed above can get together, come up with a master plan that includes every last one of them. There isn't a chance in hell that can happen with the different cultures between the conferences, the amount of money involved (and that is isn't and can't be distributed equally), the fact that there are haves and have nots who will never agree on anything, and the huge egos involved.

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you are wrong.

I could post the facts here but I will wait for an ACC honk to come in and splain it way better than I could.

Paging Gene???????

No need to go into all that.

The Big 12 and ACC will both get in. None of the "Big 5" will get left out because of their MEGA-MILLIONS involved, billions to the TV networks and cable companies. To leave one of them out would forfeit all that dough and nobody in the USA is going to forfeit millions/billions of dollars.

The TV networks would not allow it to happen. Leave Texas or the rich ACC cities out? Not going to happen. Money would be forfeited because of the loss of televised games in those areas, big boys vs. big boys. Like I said, that is not going to happen.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you are wrong.

Paging Gene???????

To the contrary, the ACC doing an assignment of media rights totally put the breaks on the re-alignment for a decade. ND is a different beast, but they are the only one. Their media rights don't include football, so they really don't matter.

The only way the assignment of rights doesn't matter is if all those teams listed above can get together, come up with a master plan that includes every last one of them. There isn't a chance in hell that can happen with the different cultures between the conferences, the amount of money involved (and that is isn't and can't be distributed equally), the fact that there are haves and have nots who will never agree on anything, and the huge egos involved.

or my attorney when I am in Carolina....

ty LawDawg

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Big 5 conferences haul in most all the TV dough. To dump one of the Big 5 would be insane.

Besides all that, the ACC does have their thumbs in everybody's pie. The ACC is the only conference that has bowl games with all of the rest of the Big 5. The ACC is one of the only conferences that does H-H with all of the other conferences except the MAC. TV networks are not going to give up one dime of all that money.

The ACC hosts 2 "BCS" bowls - Orange and Peach.

Most people do not understand or have any idea how much the ACC is worth.

The SEC-ACC bowl game and regular season games always fill the house and the networks make millions off 'em.

Why do you think the Sun Bowl (in Texas) wants a ACC and a PAC team? Both will always fill the house and the networks make millions off 'em.

Last edited by a moderator:

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I would expect to happen instead is that the TV networks may want the Big 5 to take in a few more teams - for the money they can make off of them, of course, no other reason.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

-
I am not sure in a world where this plan was agreed upon that media rights would be an issue. I do not know, but there is a chance that a vote could cancel the contracts. Not saying it would happen, but I am guessing there are some provisions in these contracts that provides for a termination of the agreements.

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-
I am not sure in a world where this plan was agreed upon that media rights would be an issue. I do not know, but there is a chance that a vote could cancel the contracts. Not saying it would happen, but I am guessing there are some provisions in these contracts that provides for a termination of the agreements.

Well, we are about to find out when the Maryland vs. the ACC lawsuit is decided, probably in a year or so.

Those TV contracts are pretty ironclad, though. There are no provisions in them for any termination of anything - unless a conference literally falls apart, which isn't going to happen because of the conference media rights agreement in place. The ACC and Big 12 can draw those lawsuits out over a span of years - years that the colleges involved get ZERO dollars from media rights in the meantime. Because of that alone I would think the contracts are pretty tight.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless the bowls go away this is never happening, the bowls are a huge part of the college tradition and coaches still use the bowls as a recruiting tool. I listened to Stoops' reasoning why he was against a playoff it came down to the "tradition of the bowls and how it rewards the players success"... So until the bowl mindset is destroyed there will never be anything remotely similar to the scenario the OP presented.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, we are about to find out when the Maryland vs. the ACC lawsuit is decided, probably in a year or so.

Those TV contracts are pretty ironclad, though. There are no provisions in them for any termination of anything - unless a conference literally falls apart, which isn't going to happen because of the conference media rights agreement in place. The ACC and Big 12 can draw those lawsuits out over a span of years - years that the colleges involved get ZERO dollars from media rights in the meantime. Because of that alone I would think the contracts are pretty tight.
-
that is different. That is Maryland vs the ACC. What I was saying is if a collection of teams agrees to leave what happens? Can 2 teams hold up the agreement? Can you cancel it with a majority? A super-majority (say 75%)? Truth is we really do not know what is in the contracts.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-

Actually, we are in agreement on this. If, as I alluded to, ALL parties to the grant of rights got together and agreed to go in a different direction, they could all agree to cancel the grant of rights. That just isn't going to happen. Can you imagine the meeting where they try to do that and UT and TAMU are in the same room? Or, ND is being their prissy selves? Or the SEC and B1G guys are all seeing who has the longest dicks! It simply is not realistic that this could happen.

As I type this, I'm thinking probably the only entity that could make it happen would be ESPN if they came in and said, we are going to give you all 25 gazillion dollars a year and here is how it is going to work. Assuming there is enough money, that all the teams currently covered by grants of rights are included, or their is enough to pay off the ones that aren't, then something might get pulled off. Even then, I think the conference pride and egos would get in the way.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, we are in agreement on this. If, as I alluded to, ALL parties to the grant of rights got together and agreed to go in a different direction, they could all agree to cancel the grant of rights. That just isn't going to happen. Can you imagine the meeting where they try to do that and UT and TAMU are in the same room? Or, ND is being their prissy selves? Or the SEC and B1G guys are all seeing who has the longest dicks! It simply is not realistic that this could happen.

As I type this, I'm thinking probably the only entity that could make it happen would be ESPN if they came in and said, we are going to give you all 25 gazillion dollars a year and here is how it is going to work. Assuming there is enough money, that all the teams currently covered by grants of rights are included, or their is enough to pay off the ones that aren't, then something might get pulled off. Even then, I think the conference pride and egos would get in the way.
-
-
It would be interesting to know. I posted it above, but it is important to know if the termination can only be done by a unanimous vote.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well, I think we agree that that the recent media agreement signed by the ACC would make it difficult for another conference to poach teams, it would not preclude the top teams from leaving. TV contracts can and will be broken, especially since it would increase overall dollars. I'm not saying it is impossible the entire ACC would get into a new "division" but it is highly unlikely. Will lawsuits occur? Of course but it will happen.

Do you think the B1G gave a damn about the ACC's agreeement when they snatched Maryland? Of course not, and neither did (does) Maryland. The long term repercussions are too substantial. Delaney's driving this bus and the only schools outside of the B1G, PAC and SEC are Texas and ND.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-
-
It would be interesting to know. I posted it above, but it is important to know if the termination can only be done by a unanimous vote.

Yeah, I don't know. Off the top of my head, I am thinking it is designed to keep a team, or a block of teams from leaving. So, my guess is that it would have to be some type of super majority, but that it clearly could be done if everyone, or all but a few agree.