• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Colin Kaepernick

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless he takes a pay cut he won`t be a Bronco. IMO, Sanchez and Simian would beat him out anyway. :)

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So does Elway want Kap to come in and complete or does he expect Kap to be the starting QB?
Pretty sure starting QBs make more than $7MM nowadays unless you are on a rookie contract.
Denver and Elway must not see Kaepernick as a guaranteed starting QB. Otherwise, they wouldn't ask for such a drastic pay cut. But scuttlebutt says Kaep wants to be a Bronco, and is willing to take some type of cut to do so. But I can see his point. Broncos are asking for a huge cut.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the sides being this close already I'd be shocked if Kaep isn't a Bronco by the NFL draft.

Kaep will take a paycut and the Broncos wont make it as drastic as they are now.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the drastic pay cut has a lot more to do with our cap situation than anything else. Yes the Broncos can do some other things to help out the situation beyond just cutting Clady but they are seeing the 49ers having a ton of Cap Space that they actually do need to use some of it to hit cap floor projections so why pay more than you have to. Right now the Broncos have a ton of leverage in the situation. Kaepernick wants out of town and the 49ers don't want the headache of having an upset player sitting on the bench collecting $14 million this year.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now that Chip has actually got to meet with Kap, their going to hug and kiss and make it all better and no more Broncos talks. Going to have to live with Sanchez,Simian and draft pick. and maybe another sucky vet. Cleveland would be stupid to trade McCown. No way with RG3 uncertainty and only Davis or draft pick as back up will they take that chance. That leaves the decent vet back up pool barely holding water.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't Clady need to be brought into the conversation. What if Clady can only be traded during the draft.. I thinl Elway wants to trade Clady not cut Clady. Can Denver sign Kap now without cutting Clady without other cap gymnastics like readjusting a contract like DT's which I'm against.

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't Clady need to be brought into the conversation. What if Clady can only be traded during the draft.. I thinl Elway wants to trade Clady not cut Clady. Can Denver sign Kap now without cutting Clady without other cap gymnastics like readjusting a contract like DT's which I'm against.
It's kind of like lawsuits, you go after the biggest money. If you don't want to readjust DT's contract, probably the only other option would be Talib's.

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would trading Clady relieve more cap space than simply cutting him? Or would we still have some dead money on him from bonuses paid?

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would trading Clady relieve more cap space than simply cutting him? Or would we still have some dead money on him from bonuses paid?
I think the cap hit is the same (dead money) but you get a draft pick.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Actually the Broncos could sign him right now. Because Von Miller and Brandon Marshall have not signed their 1-year deals those deals don't technically count against the cap at this time. So the Broncos do have a little bit of a negotiating window to make this work without having to cut anybody or change up contracts.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This has to be all about cash on hand. Denver will need cash to sign Von, I believe guaranteed contracts need to be escrowed. This ties up cash.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's just say - the Broncos piled up a serious mound of cash off last season and the merchandise sales since the Super Bowl. Some of the things they profited from directly and some shared with the league. They also increased the value of the franchise - which is important because it affects how much you can borrow and at what rate. The Broncos would merit a very good rate - if they don't have the cash on hand.

They are not a cash starved team, nor would they want to act like one - because that would reduce the perceived value of the team.

What has been notable about the Broncos under John Elway - is they do not give in to the urge to overspend - in this advantageous position. Several strategies seem to be at play in achieving value in the line up and under the salary cap:

1) Do not be embarrassed to ask for the home field discount - refer to it as you are looking for guys who want to be Denver Broncos.
2) Spot raw talent or raw athletic ability - draft them low - pick them off the waiver wire - find college free agents -use the IR to hide guys if they are lucky enough to have an injury, stash them in your program for a year or so - and develop them. They will be cheap as hell for a long time. Also - if it takes 2 years to make them a contributor - they probably won't have much leverage for a top contract after 4 years.
3) Draft well.
4) If you over pay for anything - over pay for leadership among you players.
5) Find ways to let your guys make plays.

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kubak to meet with Colin Kaepernick in the next few days .. so we are still doing this deal IMO

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Source?

If this is true, then those reporting this deal as "dead" are completely clueless.

I haven't seen a "this trade is dead" report in a few weeks. It's all been "Kaep is willing to take a paycut but not as big as Denver wants him too" reports lately.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What has been notable about the Broncos under John Elway - is they do not give in to the urge to overspend - in this advantageous position..

The offer they made to Oz was overspending. They never got a chance to match. So Elway attempted to overspend for Oz. 4 years $64MM with $30MM guaranteed. We need to get out of this mind set that it was Elway's choice not to go higher. It was not and we cannot assume he would not have gone higher. He had CJ's , Colquitt, Sanchez and Clady's salaries in his back pocket. (over $20MM)

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The offer they made to Oz was overspending. They never got a chance to match. So Elway attempted to overspend for Oz. 4 years $64MM with $30MM guaranteed. We need to get out of this mind set that it was Elway's choice not to go higher. It was not and we cannot assume he would not have gone higher. He had CJ's , Colquitt, Sanchez and Clady's salaries in his back pocket. (over $20MM)

Oz didn't take the offer - so we will not have a way know if it was overspending or what. Unless we specifically know the terms - guaranteed could mean for injury or it could mean it has to be paid whether you play well or not. Do you know what the guarantee was for?

If this offer you mention above was nothing more than a guarantee from injury - it would have worked out well for the Broncos because if Oz played well they would have him under contract for a reasonable amount and if he played poorly he would be cut. My understanding is the Broncos are glad to guarantee the injury risk under the contract, but not the poor play risk. That's what they ask the athlete to guarantee to them.