• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Coffee talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does Colin Kaepernick know how many men and women gave the ultimate sacrifice so that he could play a game for a living that currently pays him $19 shmill a year?

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does Colin Kaepernick know how many men and women gave the ultimate sacrifice so that he could play a game for a living that currently pays him $19 shmill a year?

All evidence points to "no".

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i still dont think we should be playing anthems at non-international sporting events/competitions but Krap should use some of that 19 shmill to try and help make a change in some way :noidea:

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i still dont think we should be playing anthems at non-international sporting events/competitions but Krap should use some of that 19 shmill to try and help make a change in some way :noidea:
I'm fully on board with this. I'm not really sure when this tradition started for all domestic sporting events, but I'm not a fan.

I'm more of the opinion that the anthem should be saved for special occasions, lest it lose some of its meaning. I hardly consider a sporting event worthy of that type of thing.

/end crotchety old man rant
//get off my lawn

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

...So he can exercise his right to the first amendment.

I have no problem with what he did. Some are saying he should have done it in some other way, but would that have raised as much attention?

I also have no issue with people being upset about it (speech is free, but that doesn't mean free of consequences), but my guess is the people that will be most wildly upset about it are the ones who are the biggest freedom-loving freedom lovers.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

B-B-B-But then what is going to prompt drunken Baltimorons to yell "O!" every fucking game?

Puck082

LGI
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Donate $1M of your salary to the local inner city boys and girls club to show that black lives do indeed matter to you.

I get the outrage, I also get his point and he's well within his right to do this. Problem is, he really hasn't said much outside a blanket BLM statement. If he were smart (which he's not), he'd latch himself to a particular message.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but my guess is the people that will be most wildly upset about it are the ones who are the biggest freedom-loving freedom lovers.

they are also the ones who drink their beers, talk to their friends and dont take their hats off because their mullets are in disarray

/but you wouldnt know about hair being in disarray

//
wonderwomanohnoyoudidnt.gif

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know we've hashed and re-hashed this discussion before, but I guess the thing for me is aside from sporting events, how often do you actually hear the national anthem being played? As kids we started each day with singing the national anthem at the start of each school day. Also, I think it's a separate discussion to decide whether or not you want to play the national anthem at non-international sporting events or at sporting events at all, but as long as you are playing it, proper respect needs to be shown.

/just my 2 cents

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Out of curiosity, do you folks north of the border have anything like the Pledge of Allegiance that we do here?

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Out of curiosity, do you folks north of the border have anything like the Pledge of Allegiance that we do here?

as dash said ... nope

/I think i mentioned it before when we talked about it on these boards but I had an elementary school teacher in grade 3 who started the day asking us to join her with the lords prayer ... we saw her a couple years later on a field trip feeding pigeons and seagulls at a public market :noidea:

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing like the Pledge of Allegiance up here.

as dash said ... nope

/I think i mentioned it before when we talked about it on these boards but I had an elementary school teacher in grade 3 who started the day asking us to join her with the lords prayer ... we saw her a couple years later on a field trip feeding pigeons and seagulls at a public market :noidea:

Interesting. As an adult, the Pledge has always weirded me out a bit. It strikes me as very Orwellian, making all of the kids stand up and salute and...well...pledge allegiance.

The fact that it took a Supreme Court decision to make it not mandatory is a bit concerning too.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...So he can exercise his right to the first amendment.

I have no problem with what he did. Some are saying he should have done it in some other way, but would that have raised as much attention?

I also have no issue with people being upset about it (speech is free, but that doesn't mean free of consequences), but my guess is the people that will be most wildly upset about it are the ones who are the biggest freedom-loving freedom lovers.
I couldn't care less if people stand, sit, spit at, fart on national anthems. They're songs, and usually they're dumb songs that wreak of the nationalism that was supposed to have been left behind after WWII.

What pisses me off about Kaep is that I'll put my life savings down on his agent having told him sometime last week "so you're gonna lose the starting job to Blaine Gabbert, let's try something to get people talking about you because right now you're on peoples' minds as much as Matt Leinart". It's a shitty publicity stunt at one of the deadest periods of the sports year, and it fucking worked. I tuned to the two sports radio stations here twice each this morning and each time the topic of convo was Kaep. He's a twat and I hate the media for eating this shit up.

Status
Not open for further replies.