• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Coffee Talk VI: The Undiscovered Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's the magic number some in the US will try to change the retirement age to soon?

70? 72?
My father in law turns 80 this weekend.

Worked until 3 years ago.

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it was just the surgery part I'd come close to agreeing. I have a very good friend who is a social worker and psychologist she deals with kids having these issues often (it sounds like far more often than most people would think) and her main advice is no surgery procedures until 18 (or 20 ideally). And she's far more liberal than I am.

As for the hormonal treatments, I don't know enough. Is there a physical benefit for starting treatments while younger as opposed to waiting?

My problem is the governor deciding who can get surgery and who can't. Why is the gop perfectly fine with this surgery yet not ok with gender identity treatments?
View attachment 324259
I believe 18 year olds can decide....under 18...nope.

To me, it seems that today's youth are all to "trendy" with playing with their supposed sexual Identity.

I believe it's possibly called
Rapid onset gender dysphoria

In this look at me generation/ society, I think it's playing more towards that, then actual dysphoria.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

To me, it seems that today's youth are all to "trendy" with playing with their supposed sexual Identity.

In this look at me generation/ society, I think it's playing more towards that, then actual dysphoria.
If they made people wait until 18 for all cosmetic surgery or treatments I'd be fine with it. Maybe*.

But if they're focusing just on gender/sex surgeries and treatments - it's unfair and just a political stunt.

*would cleft palate, lazy eyes, etc technically be considered cosmetic and not allowed until 18?

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they made people wait until 18 for all cosmetic surgery or treatments I'd be fine with it. Maybe*.

But if they're focusing just on gender/sex surgeries and treatments - it's unfair and just a political stunt.

*would cleft palate, lazy eyes, etc technically be considered cosmetic and not allowed until 18?
Not really...it's the current updated thinking of the transgender focused medical community that initially went the other way of anything goes at any age. Doctors want this

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Going back to my hobo Bob/groupthink/marketing opportunity post, I agree there is a degree of this happening.

Where I differ is that as brains develop before the age of 18 and world views get formed that is EXACTLY the time you want these kids be to be receiving care and treatment to help them understand what is truly happening. The longer you delay, the more the confused child feels abandoned and the more time the grooming algorithms and online trolls have to fill their heads with bad info. Surgery is not the only option for treatment and should obviously never be an early choice.

And a key piece of "gender affirming" mental health care needs to be not just pacifying the child and challenging them to accept other possibilities, explanations for their dysphoria and outcomes. But we'll never get to that point because of too many people who want to cherry pick and control just this part of the health crisis and challenges facing kids today, which just further isolates them - a key step in grooming and abusive relationships.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All depends on what an Actuary in a cubicle at MegaHealthInsCo thinks.

When he was 14 my son had a testicular torsion which means a nut twisted and cut off it's own blood supply thus starting it on the path to dying. Our health insurance called it "elective" surgery. Yes, we elected to not have an internal organ strangle itself.

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going back to my hobo Bob/groupthink/marketing opportunity post, I agree there is a degree of this happening.

Where I differ is that as brains develop before the age of 18 and world views get formed that is EXACTLY the time you want these kids be to be receiving care and treatment to help them understand what is truly happening. The longer you delay, the more the confused child feels abandoned and the more time the grooming algorithms and online trolls have to fill their heads with bad info. Surgery is not the only option for treatment and should obviously never be an early choice.

And a key piece of "gender affirming" mental health care needs to be not just pacifying the child and challenging them to accept other possibilities, explanations for their dysphoria and outcomes. But we'll never get to that point because of too many people who want to cherry pick and control just this part of the health crisis and challenges facing kids today, which just further isolates them - a key step in grooming and abusive relationships.
Just looking at the rethink going on in the medical community from once prominent pro-forward leaders on gender identity

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh look, another Christian showcasing anti-Christian actions...

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The “magic tokens makes carbon disappear” argument gets flimsier every day considering conferences like Davos could easily be done on a zoom call like we all did for two years with everything else.

Don’t use your lawnmower though, peasants.

Status
Not open for further replies.