• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Coffee Talk VI: The Undiscovered Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

blindbaby

i want to bang on the drum all day
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When the Bible is used against a evangelical.

An evangical that hasn't really read the Bible. I'm sure it's the obligatory "you're taking that out of context" as her retort.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good news.

And it didn't take long for this crap to show up on my Twitter feed.
Seriously who is this lady? All I can find is that she is some wannabe grifter who tried to run for office and lost bad, very bad.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My wife told me that a prisoner swap was made and the US sent a Russian arms dealer in exchange for Brittney. Bob McKenzie tweeted that the trade was 1-for-1.

/I might have made that last part up.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two things annoy me about this:
1) It tells Russia that if they just snatch any high profile American, they will get back their worst people. Basketball player does not equal arms dealer.

2) There is a teacher who wound up sentenced to hard labor for exactly the same thing and has been there longer. No effort to bring him home. Because he can't play a sport?

Nevermind how colossally stupid you have to be to travel to a foreign country with something that is illegal in that country in your bag. Especially one with a history of extremely harsh punishment.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two things annoy me about this:
1) It tells Russia that if they just snatch any high profile American, they will get back their worst people. Basketball player does not equal arms dealer.

2) There is a teacher who wound up sentenced to hard labor for exactly the same thing and has been there longer. No effort to bring him home. Because he can't play a sport?

Nevermind how colossally stupid you have to be to travel to a foreign country with something that is illegal in that country in your bag. Especially one with a history of extremely harsh punishment.
Yup. Anyone who’s mad Griner was negotiated to be brought home from what was a hostage situation is stupid. She, along with anybody else being held on bullshit charges by despotic regimes, deserves their freedom.

But giving up someone as evil and criminal as Bout for anyone, let alone a hostage who’s elevated status in society is the only reason for the clamor to bring her home, is at the very least questionable. If shit turned sour with Saudi Arabia and they nabbed someone high profile and demanded, say, Khalid Sheikh Mohammed in exchange is that something that would be palatable?

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This whole situation sickens me. The only other alternative would have been to let her serve her unjust sentence by a gruesome regime, which is also sickening.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do not think it was so much of her ability to play a sport but just because its a high profile case. I think if a housewife from Fort Worth was arrested for the same thing on camera there would be a huge outcry and negotiations. Especially if she was blonde, America values its blonde girls and women over all others.
Maybe I am wrong, either way I am glad she was released. And unless the Russians offered Bout for Paul Whelan or Griner and the US chose Griner, I cannot be upset thats shes coming home and he isn't.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If shit turned sour with Saudi Arabia and they nabbed someone high profile and demanded, say, Khalid Sheikh Mohammed in exchange is that something that would be palatable?

On a related note, there's an exhibition tennis tournament starting in Saudi Arabia today. Some of the biggest names on the men 's tour are participating. I wish some of these guys would stop helping Saudi Arabia with their sportwashing project.

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t like the one for one swap but it’s a win win for society.
Personally I think the arms dealer deserves freedom more than the basketball player does. An arms dealer provides valuable services to an underserved part of the world economy - a healthy black market arms economy is vital to keeping various despots and shady regimes in power and from devolving into civil war. Sure, there are always collateral damages but whatevs. A basketball player offers nothing unless they are on the take.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You get shit heads like Benny but the response from the Whelan family sums it up best.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do not think it was so much of her ability to play a sport but just because its a high profile case. I think if a housewife from Fort Worth was arrested for the same thing on camera there would be a huge outcry and negotiations. Especially if she was blonde, America values its blonde girls and women over all others.
Maybe I am wrong, either way I am glad she was released. And unless the Russians offered Bout for Paul Whelan or Griner and the US chose Griner, I cannot be upset thats shes coming home and he isn't.
Agreed, and to be clear, I am not saying it wasn't worth doing, just that I would have hoped for better.

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup. Anyone who’s mad Griner was negotiated to be brought home from what was a hostage situation is stupid. She, along with anybody else being held on bullshit charges by despotic regimes, deserves their freedom.

But giving up someone as evil and criminal as Bout for anyone, let alone a hostage who’s elevated status in society is the only reason for the clamor to bring her home, is at the very least questionable. If shit turned sour with Saudi Arabia and they nabbed someone high profile and demanded, say, Khalid Sheikh Mohammed in exchange is that something that would be palatable?
Were they bullshit charges? Honestly asking

Why the fuck do you bring pot into Russia? Why the fuck go to Russia.

Me no likey trading a WNBA dummy for the Merchant of Death...one for one

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We should have traded Trump for Griner.
My similar post on Facebook got some good responses.

"You are sooooo stupidd!!!!"

I havent seen this guy in 30 years, he doesnt even know me. Usually you have to get to know me before you think I'm stupid.

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My similar post on Facebook got some good responses.

"You are sooooo stupidd!!!!"

I havent seen this guy in 30 years, he doesnt even know me. Usually you have to get to know me before you think I'm stupid.
So you’re the genius behind words of wisdumb and the most famous thread on this here board. Got it.

Status
Not open for further replies.