• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Coffee Talk V: The Final Battle

Status
Not open for further replies.

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
About time FL is doing something about this. Was a shady practice for a long time to take votes away from actual candidates.

They should call it the Ralph Nader rule.

And seeing the the clusterfuck around leaving Afghanistan, imagine a world where Nader didn't steal the votes from Gore in Florida and put Bush in office. Any chance Gore would have put us over there?

At the very least, we'd be 20 years closer to renewable energy adoption nationwide.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And seeing the the clusterfuck around leaving Afghanistan, imagine a world where Nader didn't steal the votes from Gore in Florida and put Bush in office. Any chance Gore would have put us over there?

At the very least, we'd be 20 years closer to renewable energy adoption nationwide.
Yeah but Nader wasnt trying to siphon votes from a specific party or paid to run by a specific party in order to siphon votes like in this case. Nader while possibly misguided at times is a decent guy, lumping him in with criminals is unfair IMO.

Groo

Did you err ?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah but Nader wasnt trying to siphon votes from a specific party or paid to run by a specific party in order to siphon votes like in this case. Nader while possibly misguided at times is a decent guy, lumping him in with criminals is unfair IMO.
Nader was not a decent guy. He underpaid his staff and was reported to sexual harass them as well.
He was just a self promoting narcissistic egomaniac.

sbb122

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait a sec, are we talking about Nader or Trump?
Spider-Man Reaction GIF

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Or we can go back even further and call it the Perot rule.
If Ross didn't get involved in the Bush Sr/Clinton election, Bush Sr would have had 8 years and then no one would have cared about Gore a few years later. Scary to think about that "what if".

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's fair, I am being a tad overly harsh.

His intent wasn't malicious, but his inclusion made it possible for the people with malicious intent to capitalize and create that disaster of a ballot. And you would imagine that fiasco helped the malicious people formulate the idea for ghost candidates going forward.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or we can go back even further and call it the Perot rule.
If Ross didn't get involved in the Bush Sr/Clinton election, Bush Sr would have had 8 years and then no one would have cared about Gore a few years later. Scary to think about that "what if".
Sabresfaninthesouth and I talked about this here a while back and while it's definitely possible a lack of Perot would've helped Bush he made a pretty good case that he probably took more support from Clinton than he did Bush.

Anyway, these hypotheticals can go a million ways - 4 more years of Bush may have prevented Newt Gingrich, or may have stopped a certain Aussie from wanting to start a right-wing news channel since things were still going relatively his way. Who knows who becomes president in 96.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trudeau promised to reduce them 25% in 4 years. I don’t know why they all keep promising this when it’s obvious they can’t deliver. Or to rephrase, why the media keeps letting them promise it without pushing on the how.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trudeau promised to reduce them 25% in 4 years. I don’t know why they all keep promising this when it’s obvious they can’t deliver. Or to rephrase, why the media keeps letting them promise it without pushing on the how.

Because people read articles on the what and who, but they tune out when you get to the why and how.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's fair, I am being a tad overly harsh.

His intent wasn't malicious, but his inclusion made it possible for the people with malicious intent to capitalize and create that disaster of a ballot. And you would imagine that fiasco helped the malicious people formulate the idea for ghost candidates going forward.
Certainly a fair point. But there have been candidates who had no chance of winning run in elections before for various legit reasons. If I remember correctly wasnt part of the reason Nader got so many votes was if they met a certain threshold there party would get more funding in the years to come? I think I recall some people voting for him to help establish a 3rd party. Though, its easier and safer to do where I am than some other states.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nader was not a decent guy. He underpaid his staff and was reported to sexual harass them as well.
He was just a self promoting narcissistic egomaniac.
You're probably right, I only have a cursory knowledge of him which seems to be decent. I was a fan only because of the sexual harrasment and egomania.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Certainly a fair point. But there have been candidates who had no chance of winning run in elections before for various legit reasons. If I remember correctly wasnt part of the reason Nader got so many votes was if they met a certain threshold there party would get more funding in the years to come? I think I recall some people voting for him to help establish a 3rd party. Though, its easier and safer to do where I am than some other states.

What you guys are talking about is certainly the reason ranked-choice voting is growing in popularity - allowing people to vote for the candidate they truly want without having to worry it will only empower a candidate they truly do not.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What you guys are talking about is certainly the reason ranked-choice voting is growing in popularity - allowing people to vote for the candidate they truly want without having to worry it will only empower a candidate they truly do not.
Big fan. So glad we're having our third election under this system thanks to Trudeau following through on his promise in 2015 that it would be the last FPTP election!

/...until he realized it would likely mean he'd never get another majority gov't and abandoned that idea.

//He still will never get another majority government the way things are looking lol

Status
Not open for further replies.