• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Coffee Talk V: The Final Battle

Status
Not open for further replies.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw some drone footage of a small German town that was essentially wiped off the map due to flooding.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some videos I've seen of South Africa this morning look like Baghdad in April 2003. Not sure how much longer that country's going to stay together at this rate with all the tribalism and racism.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some videos I've seen of South Africa this morning look like Baghdad in April 2003. Not sure how much longer that country's going to stay together at this rate with all the tribalism and racism.
South Africa is such an odd and tragic place. The country is so rich in biodiversity, culture, and natural resources, but the wealth discrepancy from so many years of legalized racism is just hard to comprehend.

I visited a couple of years ago and was blown away by some of the food and scenery and such, but when you pass through some of the slums on big shiny highways, and get warned not walk outside your hotel after dark in one of the best neighborhoods in the city, you can really see why there's so many issues.

To describe that place as a powder keg would have been under selling it.

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
mgqsthjqsib71.jpg

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
South Africa is such an odd and tragic place. The country is so rich in biodiversity, culture, and natural resources, but the wealth discrepancy from so many years of legalized racism is just hard to comprehend.

I visited a couple of years ago and was blown away by some of the food and scenery and such, but when you pass through some of the slums on big shiny highways, and get warned not walk outside your hotel after dark in one of the best neighborhoods in the city, you can really see why there's so many issues.

To describe that place as a powder keg would have been under selling it.
They really did a bang up job of electing the absolute worst, most corrupt politicians after Mandela too. Any chance they had at success went away with Mbeki and Zuma.

They looked at what happened in Zimbabwe, said "that couldn't happen here" and then did nothing at all to prevent it from happening there.

A place I'd love to go to some day but, yeah, probably not.

forty_three

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also: due to the smell of Sauerkraut I wish Mrs 43 would honor her German heritage a bit less.

forty_three

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could be country ! lol

So we cut off welfare states like Alabama, Georgia, Mississippi, Louisiana and Arkansas, and use that money we send them now to provide Health Care and education to the rest of us?

And what would we really lose access to? I mean. Coca Cola is HQed in Georgia, but other than that and a needing a passport to get to Disneyworld and a few beaches, what do we really lose?

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They really did a bang up job of electing the absolute worst, most corrupt politicians after Mandela too. Any chance they had at success went away with Mbeki and Zuma.

They looked at what happened in Zimbabwe, said "that couldn't happen here" and then did nothing at all to prevent it from happening there.

A place I'd love to go to some day but, yeah, probably not.

By no means am I ignoring my own country's troubling history (and present) issues with racism, but I think a lot of people forget that it's only been less than 30 years since apartheid ended.

I also think a lot of people don't realize how large the population discrepancy was between the white ruling minority and the oppressed black majority and just how brutal the oppression was.

It's not at all surprising that there are a lot of people who are still angry with how fresh those wounds are and want retribution. As you say, the Zimbabwe method is clearly not the best approach, but I certainly don't envy any leaders/potential leaders their task of figuring out the way forward.

(To be clear, I'm not accusing you of these things, just speaking generally.)

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And they’re always the assholes saying if you don’t like it here leave. Maybe they’re finally taking their own advice.
Going sideways and im not sure if it was already mentioned on these boards but good ol mike commodork tweeted this a couple days ago :

If he got a dollar for every tweet response he got that read “pack your shit” then he would be sleeping on a bed of loonies !

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By no means am I ignoring my own country's troubling history (and present) issues with racism, but I think a lot of people forget that it's only been less than 30 years since apartheid ended.

I also think a lot of people don't realize how large the population discrepancy was between the white ruling minority and the oppressed black majority and just how brutal the oppression was.

It's not at all surprising that there are a lot of people who are still angry with how fresh those wounds are and want retribution. As you say, the Zimbabwe method is clearly not the best approach, but I certainly don't envy any leaders/potential leaders their task of figuring out the way forward.

(To be clear, I'm not accusing you of these things, just speaking generally.)
There was some good economic growth for a time but the inequality really got bad and resulted in what you describe. The fact that the remaining white South Africans are still wealthy, especially farmers, was always going to end up being a target if that problem didn't get fixed.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like easily replaceable defensemen who made good money in the NHL are sticking together...

Waiting for gubberson to chime in lol … better yet gubbersons dad lol

forty_three

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like easily replaceable defensemen who made good money in the NHL are sticking together...

Michael Del Zotto clearly can't afford a smartphone if he hasn't responded yet.

sbb122

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michael Del Zotto clearly can't afford a smartphone if he hasn't responded yet.
He’s still trying to figure out how to delete those DM’s to Lisa Ann.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, if Commodore wanted to rip Canada for the recent horrific discoveries of burial sites at residential schools, more power to him. And while Canada was slow off the mark with vaccine distribution and administration, I think they've more than made it up for it in recent months to reach the point where masks are no longer required at various businesses and university students will be able to be on campus on September. We still need to be vigilant, but we are getting back to normal life.

Status
Not open for further replies.