• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Coaching Staff

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I have considered Jerry hasn't fired Garrett yet because he likes him too much, I also have considered it's possible Jerry is delaying this so media and the fans keep talking about Jerry and the Cowboys rather than the 4 teams playing this weekend.
I've seen a lot of people giving two reasons. One is that. I know the old any publicity is good publicity but this just makes Jerry look like a feeble old man who can't make up his mind and it makes the Cowboys look like a rudderless ship. I hope he doesn't actually think this is a good thing for the Cowboys.

The other is that they are mulling over some kind of a front office position and I don't think that is it either. I think Garrett loves coaching and I don't think he wants a job like that and he has made a shit ton of money. I also worry it would be the impetus for McClay leaving because he knows he is one of the most marketable front office guys in the NFL this offseason and can get a GM position if he wants it. So putting another rooster in the hen house (even if not as GM) probably wouldn't sit too well with him.

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Garrett’s contract runs out today so “technically” Jerry won’t have to fire him and they can just announce they were not able to agree on a contract terms and move on. Saves Jerry not having to announce the firing and Garrett able to say colts were not agreed on in his usual “ well the Cowboys are a great organization and they have been one for a very long time and we respect all they have done. We know they want the best and we were just not able to come to terms on the contract. And that’s all I have to say on that” type answer which is a no answer.

JMHO

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe contract expires 1/14, but you are correct Garrett won't technically be "fired". But that's just semantics of course. If you are going to do it, just do it

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Garrett’s contract runs out today so “technically” Jerry won’t have to fire him and they can just announce they were not able to agree on a contract terms and move on. Saves Jerry not having to announce the firing and Garrett able to say colts were not agreed on in his usual “ well the Cowboys are a great organization and they have been one for a very long time and we respect all they have done. We know they want the best and we were just not able to come to terms on the contract. And that’s all I have to say on that” type answer which is a no answer.

JMHO

Garrett's contract runs out on the 14th not today.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've seen a lot of people giving two reasons. One is that. I know the old any publicity is good publicity but this just makes Jerry look like a feeble old man who can't make up his mind and it makes the Cowboys look like a rudderless ship. I hope he doesn't actually think this is a good thing for the Cowboys.

The other is that they are mulling over some kind of a front office position and I don't think that is it either. I think Garrett loves coaching and I don't think he wants a job like that and he has made a shit ton of money. I also worry it would be the impetus for McClay leaving because he knows he is one of the most marketable front office guys in the NFL this offseason and can get a GM position if he wants it. So putting another rooster in the hen house (even if not as GM) probably wouldn't sit too well with him.

I don't know why there's a delay, could be Jerry is 1. seriously considering keeping him on :-)L:what::lm:) 2. Giving him a back office job. Or 3. Letting his contract expire so he's not officially fired.

If it's #3 it's the dumbest reason possible.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know why there's a delay, could be Jerry is 1. seriously considering keeping him on :-)L:what::lm:) 2. Giving him a back office job. Or 3. Letting his contract expire so he's not officially fired.

If Garrett is our coach next year, I will seriously consider giving up on ever winning another superbowl in my lifetime. I will root for my other teams in sports.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Garrett is our coach next year, I will seriously consider giving up on ever winning another superbowl in my lifetime. I will root for my other teams in sports.

I'll hang on and suffer through the end.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The delay is simple. Jerry does what he wants and could care less what we think.

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would seem to me that the cowboys target is either a college coach or someone that is currently on a playoff team. We may know more tomorrow. I think they are trying to talk Garrett into taking a job in front office.. Garrett would be wise to take the job. He is not real good at calling plays or clock management.

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The delay is simple. Jerry does what he wants and could care less what we think.
Yeah, unfortunately the cowboys likely wont sniff another superbowl until this old fool croaks

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We all know Jerry is always trying to be the smartest man in the room. I could see him sitting at the Star trying to figure out how to do a sign-and-trade of Jason to the Giants. :pound:

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly if I were Garret I'd call my old buddy Saban up and ask if he could find room for him as the OC. Go down and be a staffer at Bama for a year or two, get plugged back into the college game and offensive schemes, build his name back up, and then be one of the hottest HC candidates in a couple of years. He'd be a recruiting god for Bama, as if they need it, but Nick would do it for that reason alone.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's what I don't get..if you're JG, if you're getting let go, wouldn't you rather it be as soon as possible so that you would be able to interview for one of the other openings? And if youre Jerry, wouldn't you want to give him that opportunity? I don't get carrying this out for 3 meetings

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's what I don't get..if you're JG, if you're getting let go, wouldn't you rather it be as soon as possible so that you would be able to interview for one of the other openings? And if youre Jerry, wouldn't you want to give him that opportunity? I don't get carrying this out for 3 meetings

Yes and Yes. This leads me to believe Garrett will be in Dallas in some capacity.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless JG asked, and was given the chance, to be able to do all the player exit interviews and discuss options with his current staff. Jerry likely already has the next coach lined up so no need to rush. Let JG live out his contract and wrap up everything he needs. Jason probably has been talking with other teams this weeks and will try to keep some of his staff together wherever he goes.

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently a highly sought after QB recruit de-committed to Oklahoma. Now was that because Oklahoma got their ass kicked or is this because this QB thinks Lincoln Riley is leaving?

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently a highly sought after QB recruit de-committed to Oklahoma. Now was that because Oklahoma got their ass kicked or is this because this QB thinks Lincoln Riley is leaving?
Georgia upped their offer

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless JG asked, and was given the chance, to be able to do all the player exit interviews and discuss options with his current staff. Jerry likely already has the next coach lined up so no need to rush. Let JG live out his contract and wrap up everything he needs. Jason probably has been talking with other teams this weeks and will try to keep some of his staff together wherever he goes.
Most logical and business approach to ending the contract. Good post.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Garrett has been talking with anyone else. Those things have a way of getting out. And what about the assistants who are in limbo? I don't think Garrett will be a HC in the NFL or anywhere else this year to take anyone with him. If you let them go after all of the new coaching staffs are filled out you basically screwed them over and made it harder for them to find a job. You just need to make a decision and cut people loose if you aren't keeping them instead of dragging them along and giving them hope they still have their old jobs.