• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

coaching or talent?

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was playing indoor soccer one time, and I was on the house team. There was one team that we soundly beat, even myself, in my old age managed to score a goal against them, and I usually play defense. the thing is, they were basically just a bunch of guys who came to the soccer place to drink beer. it was a perfect cover for their wives to think they were out of the house getting exercise and living a healthy lifestyle. sort of. they did actually play, just not very well. they were good and drunk by gametime, and commited a lot of drunk fouls.

When the Bengals play that kind of team, you better believe our pro-bowl numbers will be written.

so like, maybe when we play Carolina, free drinks for Panthers at the banks Saturday night.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now, for a compliment to our coaches. Lou doesn't get enough credit for how good of a coach he is. Look at these insane numbers. Do y'all remember the days when we would get run over in the 3rd and 4th quarters?

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Now, for a compliment to our coaches. Lou doesn't get enough credit for how good of a coach he is. Look at these insane numbers. Do y'all remember the days when we would get run over in the 3rd and 4th quarters?

I was part of the mob trying to run him out of town 2 years ago. He's done a great job. I wouldn't be shocked if he gets a lot of HC interviews this offseason

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was part of the mob trying to run him out of town 2 years ago. He's done a great job. I wouldn't be shocked if he gets a lot of HC interviews this offseason
I think I was, too.... I didn't see the vision at all. But looking back at the parts that were available when he showed up, its easy to understand why nobody wanted the position.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I was, too.... I didn't see the vision at all. But looking back at the parts that were available when he showed up, its easy to understand why nobody wanted the position.
I was in that same boat. Glad we were all wrong.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

One of the unsung skill of a successful Bengals coach is an eye for talent.. they work with a shoestring scout staff and probably double in that role too.

They built a good defense with a lot of midtier FA signings

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of the unsung skill of a successful Bengals coach is an eye for talent.. they work with a shoestring scout staff and probably double in that role too.

They built a good defense with a lot of midtier FA signings
I also wonder if we hit on a trend before it became a trend. It seems like the most innovation that is happening on the defensive side has to do with mixing coverages. It used to be that D-coordinators were hired because of exotic blitz-schemes or ability to control the run. Now it seems like the guys that get the most praise are the guys that are designing coverages to contain Mahomes or Burrow or any of the other great QBs that torch blitz-based schemes. Lou's background was a defensive back coach and a lot of what makes him good is the way he designs and disguises coverages in the back-end. It's also helped cover up having a less-than-average corner (Apple).