• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

coaching or talent?

jbuck

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
something is very wrong. 6 more sacks? Holy crap! and it was ugly. Burrow's instinct to run and not throw it away. These new fat cats aren't run blockers I guess. No road graders . They have 3 OL blocking one guy. meanwhile... well you know.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I blame coaching. The offense seems broken. Having issues along the line is not an uncommon problem in the NFL. Some coaches seem to solve it better than others. Right now, we aren't solving it.

That said, I think Burrow is in a bit of a funk.... Ever since that Tennessee playoff game when got sacked 34 times (or something like that), he is looking to run before going through all his progressions. It worked for him at KC when he pulled off a few huge plays. But it's not working this season. He's stepping up but refusing to throw. I continue to wonder if there are structural issues in the passing game - It seems like everyone is down field too far.

jbuck

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they have the look of a foul smell

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Poor game planning and poor preparation. You play an excellent dl, be prepared

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You guys figure that Zac and Brian sit around after the game enjoying a beer and talking about how great it is to have a coaching position even when you really, really suck at your primary job?

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look At Us Paul Rudd GIF by First We Feast: Hot Ones
Taylor and Calahan

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Great article that describes the biggest issues with the offense. I think it boils down the fact that Taylor wants to run McVay's zone scheme offense and Burrow wants to run the spread stuff he did at LSU. Burrow also doesn't seem to like play action or bootlegs very much. To me, that's okay... Big Ben never liked that stuff and Aaron Rodgers doesn't like it either. I think Frank Pollack is also making things more difficult - Seems like the run game concepts are completely disconnected from the pass game concepts which is probably based on having two different coaches being involved.

The Bengals have a franchise QB and one of the best receiver groups in the league. The coaches need to build an offense for Burrow.... Not try to patch together some nonsensical garbage that pleases everyone.

jbuck

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
why does our OL suck?

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we should just continue to bump this thread.... I don't think we can blame the offensive line anymore. They blocked fine the other night. They missed an assignment on the Bynes sack, but otherwise Burrow was able to throw the ball from mostly clean pockets and we ran for over 5 yards a carry. But again, something is structurally wrong with your team if the only way you can drive down field is by passing it to your running back in the flat. If the intermediate and deep passing game was so easy to take away, you'd see it slow everyone down. I know the stats are trending this way in the league - But other teams are still finding big plays. Hell Kirk Cousins is still finding Jefferson and he's Kirk Cousins.

That said, I'm tired of all of our fans yelling about needing a change in play caller. Do you really think it matters who calls the plays if the design of the offense sucks? I believe Zac when he says they'd all call it the same. It's sad to watch - We have the offensive talent for a Super Bowl run with a defense that can keep the other high-powered teams mostly in check. But, we're wasting it.

jbuck

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ok here's some bent logic

the bengs go to super bowl and get satisfied instead of hungry

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Zac doesn't want to show his cards.

he's made some gambles that didn't work out, but I guess that's part of the game. it's cost us 3 close games, but if it worked out, we'd all be like, "yay he's a genius."

he does bother me though, somewhat, our defense has been keeping us in games and he won't kick a field goal. our identity has been blurred on offense, because the offense can't come up with a gameplan that doesn't project what we're going to do.

Here's part of the problem in my opinion: Brian Callahan - Wikipedia

how is this guy an offensive coordinator? because he's Zac's friend? If he's not smart enough to help us call plays and adjust our game plan, he doesn't need to be here. vacate the position and look for someone who can.

Zac Taylor should not be a head coach in the NFL, but again, I don't know who we would replace him with yet.

And the players are satisfied with their #2 trophy. the tree needs to be shook, the big cat is asleep.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

I've been hearing this identical critique on most X's and O's based football podcasts I listen to and it's giving me late aughts Bratowski vibes.

Zac Taylor's earned a ton of goodwill with the SB appearance and has generally done an amazing job turning the franchise around but there's nothing wrong with delegating the offense to a big time OC. Any coach would love to work with the blue chip talent assembled here at QB and the skill positions

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been hearing this identical critique on most X's and O's based football podcasts I listen to and it's giving me late aughts Bratowski vibes.

Zac Taylor's earned a ton of goodwill with the SB appearance and has generally done an amazing job turning the franchise around but there's nothing wrong with delegating the offense to a big time OC. Any coach would love to work with the blue chip talent assembled here at QB and the skill positions
I have similar vibes.... I remember times where the Bengals just weren't getting as much as they should out of Palmer's talent. And, obviously they had some good receivers as well. Similar here. What I can't figure out is whether they're just having a hard time getting Burrow to do what they want him to do or if they are just too reactive to what happened in those first 2 games where world-class pass rushers destroyed the game.

I think Taylor is too stubborn to make a change. And he's ruining a chance with a roster that has a top 10 type D. I also think Calahan is taking his career right now if this trend continues.

The one silver lining is that last year at this time everyone said that KC's offense was broken and they figured it out.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You do kinda figure that Burrow is going to go for 450 one of these weeks with Chase going for 200.... Collectively, they're too good and too streaky not to do it. I imagine a lot of the dialogue will change when that happens.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
You do kinda figure that Burrow is going to go for 450 one of these weeks with Chase going for 200.... Collectively, they're too good and too streaky not to do it. I imagine a lot of the dialogue will change when that happens.

Definitely. There's too much talent for that not to happen eventually

I just think this offense should be a week in week out juggernaut thats only slowed down by an elite pass rush or bad weather.

On a positive note it looks like the front office nailed another veteran FA signing in Hayden Hurst. He looks like a top ten TE