• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Coaches Film: Saints Game

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The worst view yet, on CK's INT... Randy beat the hell out of his guy. Dammit. Goodwin gets some blame, and CK gets some for forcing it to the #1 target on the play... shoot.

Goodwin receives zero blame for Kaps INT. Had Kap been sacked on the play now were talking blame, but Kap had time to set his feet and scan - he just made a poor decision. That said, Goodwin needs to get his gun snaps up.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, that's it. CK seems to miss stuff that Alex did, so I'm going to cut Smith some slack for missed opportunities.

With that said, I still prefer the 49ers offense with CK. I love Alex, but he simply can't do some of the stuff that CK can... which I think makes this offense more dangerous. I hope CK starts next Sunday.

After seeing this I think a lot less of Kaepernick than I did before. Thanks a lot for brining me down. It looks like he was missing opportunity after opportunity. Seems he just doesn't see the field yet. No wonder Davis was so frustrated. Moss has gotta be seething.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Alex weren't missing these recievers but just completing a half of them, Kaep missing them would be a possible reason to start Smith. But with Smith missing them too, I don't see anything to give Smith an advantage, now that we see Kaep making pre-snap reads.

unlike last year our guys are getting open. hopefully with some more experience kap can complete some of those.

Smalls

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Look, I really appreciate the analysis, but I feel like the responses are a little knee-jerk. The game isn't played in still-frames, and no quarterback hits every "opportunity". We don't know what his reads are on each play, etc.

Remember the year Peyton broke the single season TD record? After the season he made a comment about how when he went back and watched the film, he felt like he missed a significant number of could-have-been TDs. The number was in the teens, if I remember correctly.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ninersfan80::Well you can't throw to everyone lol. There is only 1 ball and usually QBs will go with the first person they see open I assume

Totally agree, I said that in the thread about the Bears game. Just like here I wasn't trying to crack down on Kaep when he had what I called "better" options, I think every time he made the right choice. Mario got to display his YAC ability instead of VD getting an easy over the shoulder pass... I think the under passes were the right choice to Crabs too when he had Mario and VD open because both times Crabs would have or did get a first. Just trying to highlight that a lot of our guys get open. Only one guy can get the ball.

Ray_Dogg::We also don't know which WR is the first read on these plays so that certainly plays a role. It could be first read open and ball is out, etc.

Yep, agree with that too. If his first read was to Crabtree on a lot of these passes then he didn't do anything wrong because all three times Crabs picked up the first. The refs took back two of the 1st downs, but CK made a good read and a good pass and Crabs did his thing. To repeat myself, I was just trying to show how awesome our offense is that our QB has so many options. Like the pass to Walker, that was the right choice I just wanted to give Crabby some love since he got behind his guy too. *shrug* Only one guy can get the ball.

Smalls::Look, I really appreciate the analysis, but I feel like the responses are a little knee-jerk. The game isn't played in still-frames, and no quarterback hits every "opportunity". We don't know what his reads are on each play, etc.

Remember the year Peyton broke the single season TD record? After the season he made a comment about how when he went back and watched the film, he felt like he missed a significant number of could-have-been TDs. The number was in the teens, if I remember correctly.

Well, I hope you don't think I'm just trying to get the perfect still to make our QBs look bad. I typically watch the plays a few times and just try to capture the moment as best I can.

A lot of this stuff I fully understand that QBs can't see everything and from time to time they'll miss stuff, and again, if he has 3 or more options then I'm not really upset if he didn't go to the "big play". Only one guy gets the ball.

Now, I'm going to contradict what I just said, because I did get a little annoyed with Alex when he was in position to hit Moss for a potential TD but he went to Walker cutting underneath the same area VS the Jets, and when Crabtree got behind the secondary and he went to Mario cutting underneath against the Vikings. I don't mean super pissed, but just upset and disappointed that Alex will always take the safe pass over potential big play TDs.

Bemular::Goodwin receives zero blame for Kaps INT. Had Kap been sacked on the play now were talking blame, but Kap had time to set his feet and scan - he just made a poor decision. That said, Goodwin needs to get his gun snaps up.

I think Goodwin gets like 5-10% of the blame, his low snap made CK take his eyes off the field. But then the rest of it, 90-95%, is on CK for rushing and making a poor decision.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After seeing this I think a lot less of Kaepernick than I did before. Thanks a lot for brining me down. It looks like he was missing opportunity after opportunity. Seems he just doesn't see the field yet. No wonder Davis was so frustrated. Moss has gotta be seething.

You really shouldn't, with the exception of the Interception and the very last image of Moss getting open... every one of these things where I said that CK "missed" a guy, CK either ran for a 1st down himself or got it to someone else for a 1st down. Two of the passes to Crabtree were nullified by the officials, the one BS play where they ruled him down even though he was still up and the one called back on Davis' holding... but CK still would have picked up a first down even though he "missed" "better" targets.

Don't panic and say that he can't see the field, do you realistically expect a 2nd year QB making his 2nd start to see the field like a 15 year veteran? He and practically every other QB is going to "miss" some better chances but its not like he missed all of these things at the cost of multiple 3 and outs... to repeat, CK picked up the 1st on every one of those plays except for the two involving Randy. And the last one to Randy the 49ers were up 31-21, so unless you really really wanted to beat the Saints 38-21, in the big picture it doesn't matter.

Oh my bad, the one where it was 3rd and 20 and the pressure made him step up in the pocket and he made the short dump to Gore instead of getting it to Mario for a first. But thats a throw and decision most if not all of the QBs are going to make when your team is winning late in the game. Still, on the majority of these plays where I said CK "missed" a guy or two, he still picked up the 1st to someone else...

Last edited by a moderator:

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You really shouldn't, with the exception of the Interception and the very last image of Moss getting open... every one of these things where I said that CK "missed" a guy, CK either ran for a 1st down himself or got it to someone else for a 1st down. Two of the passes to Crabtree were nullified by the officials, the one BS play where they ruled him down even though he was still up and the one called back on Davis' holding... but CK still would have picked up a first down even though he "missed" "better" targets.

Don't panic and say that he can't see the field, do you realistically expect a 2nd year QB making his 2nd start to see the field like a 15 year veteran? He and practically every other QB is going to "miss" some better chances but its not like he missed all of these things at the cost of multiple 3 and outs... to repeat, CK picked up the 1st on every one of those plays except for the two involving Randy. And the last one to Randy the 49ers were up 31-21, so unless you really really wanted to beat the Saints 38-21, in the big picture it doesn't matter.

No. And that is probably the biggest reason I'd support Harbaugh's decision to go with Smith if he decides to go that way.

Smalls

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I didn't mean to sound critical of you, just to clarify. I enjoy reading the breakdown and seeing things we usually don't have a chance to. Thanks for providing that. I just think some people's reactions have been a bit premature.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bemular:: Goodwin receives zero blame for Kaps INT. Had Kap been sacked on the play now were talking blame, but Kap had time to set his feet and scan - he just made a poor decision. That said, Goodwin needs to get his gun snaps up.

threelittlebirds:: I think Goodwin gets like 5-10% of the blame, his low snap made CK take his eyes off the field. But then the rest of it, 90-95%, is on CK for rushing and making a poor decision.

I may be a little stricter in my analysis, but to me there was clear delineation in his movements between the snap, the recovery and the throw. Either way, we are close enough to each other's perception.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't mean to sound critical of you, just to clarify. I enjoy reading the breakdown and seeing things we usually don't have a chance to. Thanks for providing that. I just think some people's reactions have been a bit premature.

Yeah, I can't control how some people react. I don't hide the fact that I'm trying to show how good the receivers are, and I don't get too critical of our QBs for "missing" better throws. Only one guy can get the ball and as far as we know CK's reads told him to go to Crabtree underneath instead of waiting and hoping that Mario, VD, etc. beat their guys.

Mostly through this I feel bad for Moss, he is taking a lot of criticism in the media and by fans for not being the old Randy... he's like bad luck chuck, when he does get open our QBs either don't see it or already committed to someone else... ha, poor guy.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

If you go through every game no matter the QB I think you'll find plenty of missed opportunities in each one.

CK to me is still an unfinished product and doesn't have the polish like other young QBs like Luck, RGIII, Wilson, Tannehill, etc. If he had that level of polish then he would've been drafted way higher then what he was.

He's shown to me that's he's come way ahead then what he looked like in the preseason and now he just needs in game experience to develop further.

Which is why starting him the rest of the way is critical to get him experience to be ready for the playoffs. The MNF game against the Bears and this recent game against the Saints were great experiences for him that he can take into the playoffs. Playing at Seattle and at New England are also great games to get him some invaluable experience since both are difficult places and teams to play.

Ultimately I think the roll of the dice going with CK will pay off and as the say fortune favors the bold.

NinersFan80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. And that is probably the biggest reason I'd support Harbaugh's decision to go with Smith if he decides to go that way.

Smith does the same thing though. He doesn't make those throws.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been thinking, I'll try to do a better job of this in the future. When I take a pic with the all-22, I'll also take a pic from the endzone camera as close to the same time as the other pic to give a better view of the pocket and passing lanes.

Just to be perfectly clear too, I wasn't trying to say CK is totally fucking up and missing plays, I was just trying to show how good this group of receivers are and that a lot of the time CK and even Smith had more than one option. Most of the pics where I said CK "missed" guys, he still picked up the 1st down, so CK didn't do anything wrong. The interception was a really bad decision and nobody needed that pic to tell them that, I just thought some people would want to know Randy was open. That last play where he missed Randy for an easy TD, it doesn't really matter unless you had your heart set on the 49ers winning 38-21 instead of 31-21. I really just put that up to let people know Randy is getting open. That was an amazing play by Randy, he got behind that corner almost immediately with his hand up in the air to call for it... it was neat.

I think the main thing people should take away from these pics is how often the guys get open. Mario has been amazing, VD is still pretty good, Crabby gets behind the defense more times than he gets credit for, and Randy is doing a lot of good things too. What these guys are doing is why nobody is stacking the box to stop Gore and why the short passing game is so effective. To me, it's pretty awesome that our QBs can "miss" guys and it doesn't matter cause they typically pick up the 1st with someone else.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with Smalls. You can go and do this type of analysis and come up with the same conclusions with all of them. No QB is going to maximize every snap every time, especially in his second start.

I know that's not what you were trying to do and I appreciate the effort.

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
mariobeingmario.png

Mario being Mario, blowing the top off of the defense. Remember that goofy play where CK hit Crabs short (orange arrow) and the refs whistled him down even though he never was down? Yeah well, Mario doing his thing up top getting to the 2nd level. I think that is VD on the bottom.

I don't think this is a miss read by Kap. IMO Mario is bracketed between the safety and the corner. It would take a perfect and I mean perfect pass to fit in there.

A bullet and the corner can undercut it for an INT a lob pass either is Mario destroyed or an over throw gives the safety an opportunity to pick it off.

There were a couple more picks that I saw that I wouldn't say were "misses" just being careful with the ball

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you go through every game no matter the QB I think you'll find plenty of missed opportunities in each one.

CK to me is still an unfinished product and doesn't have the polish like other young QBs like Luck, RGIII, Wilson, Tannehill, etc. If he had that level of polish then he would've been drafted way higher then what he was.
He's shown to me that's he's come way ahead then what he looked like in the preseason and now he just needs in game experience to develop further.

Which is why starting him the rest of the way is critical to get him experience to be ready for the playoffs. The MNF game against the Bears and this recent game against the Saints were great experiences for him that he can take into the playoffs. Playing at Seattle and at New England are also great games to get him some invaluable experience since both are difficult places and teams to play.

Ultimately I think the roll of the dice going with CK will pay off and as the say fortune favors the bold.

I actually think he's the prototype of what the new NFL quarterback will look like; tall, rangy, fast, elusive in the pocket, good accurate arm, athletic. He is going to be tough to defend once he gets alittle more experience. Let's see where he stands at the end of the season.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I actually think he's the prototype of what the new NFL quarterback will look like; tall, rangy, fast, elusive in the pocket, good accurate arm, athletic. He is going to be tough to defend once he gets alittle more experience. Let's see where he stands at the end of the season.

Kaep still needs to prove he can be an effective pocket passer. all this stuff is great and it certainly helps a QB, but the key is effective passing. he doesn't need to lead the league, but he does need to be good at it.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kaep still needs to prove he can be an effective pocket passer. all this stuff is great and it certainly helps a QB, but the key is effective passing. he doesn't need to lead the league, but he does need to be good at it.

Colin has already proved he can be effective - the only thing he has left to prove is whether he be consistently effective.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Colin has already proved he can be effective - the only thing he has left to prove is whether he be consistently effective.

for me, he'll need to prove it beyond just two games. if you're already assured, no problem here.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
for me, he'll need to prove it beyond just two games. if you're already assured, no problem here.

If he simply maintained the level of play he has demonstrated in the past three games would you think he was being ineffective?