• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Coaches' challenges

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just curious what the board thinks about them in general. I don't have a strong opinion either way but I think I lean towards them being a net positive.

Especially with no fans in the stands, it doesn't impede the flow of the crowd. When they come back I might feel differently.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a strong opinion on this and there are 2 major problems I have with the rule.

1) If you win a challenge then you should always get the ball back. This BS about having a jump ball should go.

2) If you win a challenge then you shouldn't lose your challenge. I will never get that part of the rule. IMO if they want to keep it that way then teams should get 2 challenges (1 per half)

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a strong opinion on this and there are 2 major problems I have with the rule.

1) If you win a challenge then you should always get the ball back. This BS about having a jump ball should go.

2) If you win a challenge then you shouldn't lose your challenge. I will never get that part of the rule. IMO if they want to keep it that way then teams should get 2 challenges (1 per half)

But you like having it, right? You just want them to adjust how they work.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just curious what the board thinks about them in general. I don't have a strong opinion either way but I think I lean towards them being a net positive.

Especially with no fans in the stands, it doesn't impede the flow of the crowd. When they come back I might feel differently.

I think it is pretty pointless to only have 1 challenge. I like @bksballer89 idea that you basically get the challenge back every time you win it. Because if the refs make 10 blatantly terrible calls, you should be able to get them looked at. That is until you mess up and pick the wrong thing to challenge.

Also, coaches seem to be generally pretty clueless about how/when to use them. Given a system like this, I actually think coaches would be pretty conservative in using them.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it is pretty pointless to only have 1 challenge. I like @bksballer89 idea that you basically get the challenge back every time you win it. Because if the refs make 10 blatantly terrible calls, you should be able to get them looked at. That is until you mess up and pick the wrong thing to challenge.

Also, coaches seem to be generally pretty clueless about how/when to use them. Given a system like this, I actually think coaches would be pretty conservative in using them.
So another approval, with suggestions to change the details (I agree with both of you, get your challenge back if successful).

I think the other side of that argument is too many challenges would impede the game flow, even if they are all correct.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So another approval, with suggestions to change the details (I agree with both of you, get your challenge back if successful).

I think the other side of that argument is too many challenges would impede the game flow, even if they are all correct.

Yeah, but I also think coaches would be more conservative in using them because of the rules.

If the refs screw up enough times that a coach gets 7 or 8 challenges, then IMO it is better to stop and get it right.

But I doubt that would ever happen. Most games would be less than 2 challenges a side.

Going to a system like that would probably also require another official specifically in charge of replay to speed the process up.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agree with all this and definitely with the jump ball shit BUT it really depends on the challenge. If a foul is called on a defensive player and it isn’t a foul...it’s difficult to say how that play would have turned out without the foul call—so a jump ball makes sense. That doesn’t make sense for other challenges though imo

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree with all this and definitely with the jump ball shit BUT it really depends on the challenge. If a foul is called on a defensive player and it isn’t a foul...it’s difficult to say how that play would have turned out without the foul call—so a jump ball makes sense. That doesn’t make sense for other challenges though imo

It should be pretty common sense.

If a foul is called that wasn’t really a foul, it would be a jump ball if neither team possessed the ball (like a shot attempt) but otherwise should go to the team that had possession.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the coaches challenge, but I don't like the one and done aspect of it. Imo, the best way to do it would be 1 challenge that a team keeps until they have a challenge that they lose.

I would also be good with one challenge per half.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly hate the coaches challenge. The reason being is that the refs are trying to judge things in real time. They also have discretion to call a foul or let a play slide, depending on the situation. There are always numerous things going on during any given play. The refs being able to figure this out and make the fairest basketball call is optimal. Let the refs be refs. Mistakes will happen, but more good will come of them being able to use their judgement.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly hate the coaches challenge. The reason being is that the refs are trying to judge things in real time. They also have discretion to call a foul or let a play slide, depending on the situation. There are always numerous things going on during any given play. The refs being able to figure this out and make the fairest basketball call is optimal. Let the refs be refs. Mistakes will happen, but more good will come of them being able to use their judgement.
Maybe so but having a very limited number of challenges for bad calls that can swing an entire game (like a player fouling out or getting close to) might still make sense.

Last night the Ws successfully overturned a bad call on Draymond that would have given him 4 early in the 3rd quarter, when the game was tight. And a bad call late in a close game can make or break a team. Sometimes a foul call is a big deal.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Everything you stated is why I think there should be coaches challenges. The refs are handling things in real time. Mistakes are going to be made. Sometimes, those mistakes can have a significant impact.

The idea is, or at least should be, to get the call right. If a ref is truly interested in making the right call, he shouldn't be too bothered if he makes an incorrect call and it gets overturned.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the coaches challenge, but I don't like the one and done aspect of it. Imo, the best way to do it would be 1 challenge that a team keeps until they have a challenge that they lose.

I would also be good with one challenge per half.

How can we get my proposal to the NBA?

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the challenges. They're needed due to the far too often ineptitude of the refs.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say keep it and down with not losing it if correct. But limit to 2 per game.

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they should just get rid of refs and fouls.