• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Coaches and their Violations

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look, I'm not trying to take away from the kids and the tourney, and the fact that everyone worked their asses off all year to get here.

I guess going back to Roy at UNC, and Boeheim at SU (not to mention the others); I just don't buy a coach saying that they didn't know, or that they had no way of being able to have complete control of the players.

I just cannot buy that shit for one second.

If I am a head coach (especially if I'm high profile at a top tier CBB program), I would be militant in terms of making sure my players didn't get into some dumb shit, precisely because it would reflect poorly upon me and my program. I would tell them all on day one, "Look, if you go around accepting gifts that are blatantly above and beyond, I will be the first one to throw you under the bus, because in doing so, you show me that you only care about yourself and not the program. We all suffer down the road because you come in here for a couple/few years and leave, while the coaches and future players pay for it."

I would do everything in my power to make sure it didn't happen. I would tell all of the boosters that if they contribute, they're out. If any other coaches, professors, or university staff help, fuck them too. I would know that me saying as a coach that I didn't know is either complete bullshit, or at least 'out of sight, out of mind'. Coaches who just throw their hands up and say, "I can't know everything" are saying to me that they didn't want to know everything.

If a coach is very consistent and aggressive to prevent it happening in the program, then I think that comes out favorably if players still decide to commit violations. But I have to believe that the players would not go behind the coach as often if he hangs the future of the program on their actions.

There are a lot of dirty programs out there, let's just be honest. But that being said, not everyone is dirty. I think if a coach really stays alert and persistent with making sure everyone knows the consequences for the future of the program, and everyone realizes that ultimately they would be letting a coach down who is actually trying everything to prevent it, I have to believe that the program would have some solid integrity.

It just seems too easy these days to turn a blind eye, and then beg and plea later saying that there is no way to know everything. It is the coach's primary job to have everyone do things the right way. Unless they take it serious enough to control what they can, and also instill those values in the players, then fuck the coach and his pleas.

Recruit players that have good character. Tell them all from day 1 that anything like cheating and accepting anything that is obviously a huge violation will not be tolerated. The coach needs to put people around them that believe the same thing. THe coach needs to make integrity a pillar of the program. I have to believe at that point that the overwhelming majority of situations are avoided. If something does occur, THEN the coach has clearly shown the extent which he has put as much in place, and that there was nothing he could do. That's when I'll excuse a coach. I have to believe that if this was the case, violations either wouldn't occur, or they would be minor, and the coach actually has a leg to stand on. I think the NCAA would be more understanding and focus the punishment on the player, because the program would show that they did everything in their power.

But all these coaches throwing up their hands and saying that while violations are rampant in their programs, over decades, and systematic, that they couldn't possibly know "everything"? That shit has worn out its welcome for me. These assholes are trying to take us all as fools. Get them all out!

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Excellent post. I heard Bruce Perl on the radio this morning say something interesting. He said he used to look at the compliance department as a nuisance... someone getting in the way of what he was trying to do.

Now - after losing a lot of money and reputation due to compliance issues - he sees them as protection... protection for him as the coach, the players, and the program... basically there to cover his ass.

The NCAA said they were penalizing Boeheim for failing to foster an environment of compliance - or something like that - and it sounds like that's exactly what he failed to do. Like you said... as the head coach (especially a head coach of a huge program) you can make it known to everyone that rules will be followed or heads will roll.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Excellent post. I heard Bruce Perl on the radio this morning say something interesting. He said he used to look at the compliance department as a nuisance... someone getting in the way of what he was trying to do.

Now - after losing a lot of money and reputation due to compliance issues - he sees them as protection... protection for him as the coach, the players, and the program... basically there to cover his ass.

The NCAA said they were penalizing Boeheim for failing to foster an environment of compliance - or something like that - and it sounds like that's exactly what he failed to do. Like you said... as the head coach (especially a head coach of a huge program) you can make it known to everyone that rules will be followed or heads will roll.

Exactly. If I'm a coach, the last thing I need is to have someone come to play, cause violations and ruin everything I've built. The same goes for professors, or boosters, or anyone. I would be the first one to raise the red flag and throw them under the bus. If I saw a player go from shitty grades to good grades, I would be knee deep in investigating it. There is no way that would get away from me. If I knew the financial situation of my players and saw a kid who couldn't rub two nickels together with new clothes, or shoes, etc. I would be all in his shit. I would be all over he boosters. I would be so attentive that it wouldn't happen without some extreme deception. At that point though, I'm fine. Because I could point to everything that shows what I actually had in place to show that they made sure that I had no way of knowing because I would put a stop to it. Then I would actually have a leg to stand on in making my case that they program shouldn't be punished.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think as a head coach of a basketball program you are responsible for your student athletes when it comes to their performance in the classroom. But, I do not believe it is the head coaches responsibility to look into the university and question the education student athletes are receiving. I don't think that is the job of a head coach. Also, I don't have any idea how a coach is supposed to monitor what student athletes do in their free time, whether they're hanging out with the wrong crowd, accepting "benefits", etc. I think it is the head coaches job to recruit players who don't need a staff member following them around 24/7, they need to recruit athletes that aren't going to take benefits and are going to do their schoolwork. But, it is in no way, shape, or form the head coaches responsibility to go to class and know what is being taught. They shouldn't be responsible for knowing if a student athlete is cheating, or if he is attending sham classes.

Loneranger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think as a head coach of a basketball program you are responsible for your student athletes when it comes to their performance in the classroom. But, I do not believe it is the head coaches responsibility to look into the university and question the education student athletes are receiving. I don't think that is the job of a head coach. Also, I don't have any idea how a coach is supposed to monitor what student athletes do in their free time, whether they're hanging out with the wrong crowd, accepting "benefits", etc. I think it is the head coaches job to recruit players who don't need a staff member following them around 24/7, they need to recruit athletes that aren't going to take benefits and are going to do their schoolwork. But, it is in no way, shape, or form the head coaches responsibility to go to class and know what is being taught. They shouldn't be responsible for knowing if a student athlete is cheating, or if he is attending sham classes.
you're going overboard trying to protect/defend Good 'ole Boy Roy becuz his players were taking sham courses for yrs. Roy knew EXACTLY what was going on and what he did makes Boeheim look like a priest. You want to defend Roy by saying he shouldn't have to know what his little student athletes are being taught in class. Should he know if they're taking classes that don't exist? Just curious is all. Make no mistake , Boeheim got what he deserved , Roy should get 10x that maybe more. What has been going on at UNC for a long time is completely indefensible/unexplainable. If the NCAA doesn't drop the hammer there , like never before , then they will again be criticized for playing favorites. Roy Williams is as much of a pig as any out there , UNC is the trough.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you're going overboard trying to protect/defend Good 'ole Boy Roy becuz his players were taking sham courses for yrs. Roy knew EXACTLY what was going on and what he did makes Boeheim look like a priest. You want to defend Roy by saying he shouldn't have to know what his little student athletes are being taught in class. Should he know if they're taking classes that don't exist? Just curious is all. Make no mistake , Boeheim got what he deserved , Roy should get 10x that maybe more. What has been going on at UNC for a long time is completely indefensible/unexplainable. If the NCAA doesn't drop the hammer there , like never before , then they will again be criticized for playing favorites. Roy Williams is as much of a pig as any out there , UNC is the trough.

The NCAA will be criticized for playing favorites then because the NCAA isn't going to drop the hammer on UNC the way people want them too. But, the reason everyone wants the hammer dropped on UNC is because UNC is a blue blood. Has nothing to do with what's deserved. UNC didn't have athletes failing drug tests and then not reporting it. Having individuals in the athletic department finishing assigments to keep athletes eligible is also different than what was going on at UNC. At UNC there was a fraud academic department who for dozens of years ran a sham program without the instruction from the athletic department. I'm honestly not sure how you think you could figure out that was going on. The compliance department is not there to investigate the university.

Loneranger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NCAA will be criticized for playing favorites then because the NCAA isn't going to drop the hammer on UNC the way people want them too. But, the reason everyone wants the hammer dropped on UNC is because UNC is a blue blood. Has nothing to do with what's deserved. UNC didn't have athletes failing drug tests and then not reporting it. Having individuals in the athletic department finishing assigments to keep athletes eligible is also different than what was going on at UNC. At UNC there was a fraud academic department who for dozens of years ran a sham program without the instruction from the athletic department. I'm honestly not sure how you think you could figure out that was going on. The compliance department is not there to investigate the university.
keep hoping , it ain't gonna work. UNC was /is as dirty as any out there. The reason the hammer is taking so long is becuz there's so much to this. The NCAA is up to their eyeballs in evidence concerning what exactly UNC has been doing. Roy knew all of it , that's not news. When next season starts UNC is gonna look a lot different than today and will for a long time.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
keep hoping , it ain't gonna work. UNC was /is as dirty as any out there. The reason the hammer is taking so long is becuz there's so much to this. The NCAA is up to their eyeballs in evidence concerning what exactly UNC has been doing. Roy knew all of it , that's not news. When next season starts UNC is gonna look a lot different than today and will for a long time.

Hate to break it to you but the hammer isn't going to get dropped the way you want it too. It's as simple as that. You don't know what's been going on. If you believe what happened at UNC is going to draw a much, much harsher punishment than what happened at Syracuse you really aren't familiar with the facts and I'm not willing to get into it with you.

Last edited:

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hate to break it to you but the hammer is going to get dropped the way you want it too. It's as simple as that. You don't know what's been going on. If you believe what happened at UNC is going to draw a much, much harsher punishment than what happened at Syracuse you really aren't familiar with the facts and I'm not willing to get into it with you.

I fully expect the hammer to come down on unc. who knows when though?

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If I'm a coach, I want to know EXACTLY what is happening in matters where MY PROGRAM is accountable. If Roy Williams wanted to know, Roy Williams knows; make no mistake. These were classes set up for athletes, and Williams obviously has a right to know the context of eligibility for his players. If my ass is in the sling if it's fucked up, I'm knowing every inch of the situation. Period.

The players and coaches all need to take care of each other. That's their primary support system, and the way you ensure integrity. Assistant coaches are the ones usually tasked with having a portion of players to keep track of their grades and eligibility. Unless Roy brought in assistant coaches who just chose for a decade to collectively go behind his back, then Roy knew. And if at that point he didn't, then what the fuck is he doing getting coaches that all conspire against him? What the fuck is he doing getting players and coaches for years that magically all conspired against him?

Same thing with drug tests, money, all of it. Roy Williams is the king of Chapel Hill, just like Boeheim is the king of Syracuse. They have full access to everything regarding the effects of their players upon their program. All of this is preventable. Anything systematic is either by direct guilt of the coach, or by purposefully turning a blind eye.

The only violations that a head coach could not know about are individual actions taken by players in specific encounters. Even then, it wouldn't be sustainable for a long time because of the reach of a coach who is active in rooting it out. If it still occurs and is uncovered, then there would be a clear and unmistakable argument by the coach demonstrating that any violation happened not only behind the coach, but in the face of great effort to prevent and correct. That is when the coach and the program are not responsible.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the compliance issue is all overblown. Anyone that thinks athletes are not receiving preferential treatment has their head in the sand.

To just say Roy or Boeheim deserve some great penalty...you might as well lock them all up. Because they all do this shit. All of them. Just some get caught or are unable to slime their way out so easily.

All of cbb and cfb is about the money. Nothing more.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
jonvi, I agree that the problem is huge. And I also think that making clear lines between players that can actually have money that they need and earn, get it. If players aren't starving, and actually have the ability to live, play, and learn without being tempted with hunger pains, than it makes all of this much easier to demarcate bullshit violations, from serious ones.

If the NCAA actually provided a buffer, then kids getting fed by a coach isn't on the same level as covering up a drug test.

At that point, the violations are clearly attempts to gain advantage.

I do think that because the rules are so fucked, most programs are in violation just because it's impossible not to be, as the rules are, currently.

From there, I think it's easier to make schools accountable.

Aside from that, I don't automatically think that every school has money, hookers, and bullshit classes waiting for students upon arrival. I think some certainly do. But I also think that we've seen how this can bring down decades of work by a coach, the building of the whole program, and the public standing of the entire university. SO no, I don't think every football and basketball coach just pushes all of that aside.

I think some coaches try to get away with some shit that they can either pretend to turn a blind eye on, and others try to control it so that it doesn't get out. But I think most coaches really are only guilty of really minuscule violations that are bullshit to begin with. That's not the same thing as saying that everyone is dirty.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I'm a coach, I want to know EXACTLY what is happening in matters where MY PROGRAM is accountable. If Roy Williams wanted to know, Roy Williams knows; make no mistake. These were classes set up for athletes, and Williams obviously has a right to know the context of eligibility for his players. If my ass is in the sling if it's fucked up, I'm knowing every inch of the situation. Period.

Who set these classes up to keep players eligible? How is it possible for Roy Williams to know. Instead of telling me that you would know, tell me what steps you would take to fully understand what is going on at your university? You're not just going to assume that classes offered at a presitigious university are legitimate? Are you going to investigate each and every one of them? Or just the easy ones, or how are deciding which ones you look into?

The players and coaches all need to take care of each other. That's their primary support system, and the way you ensure integrity. Assistant coaches are the ones usually tasked with having a portion of players to keep track of their grades and eligibility. Unless Roy brought in assistant coaches who just chose for a decade to collectively go behind his back, then Roy knew. And if at that point he didn't, then what the fuck is he doing getting coaches that all conspire against him? What the fuck is he doing getting players and coaches for years that magically all conspired against him?

Yeah, I understand that. I'm familiar. The coaches I worked with were familiar with grades, and how classes were going. They were never responsible for going to class. They were not responsible for knowing how they went about getting grades. Do you think the coaches at Arizona are going to class to make sure the classes are legit? Are they going to class to make sure the basketball players aren't cheating on their midterms? Etc.

Same thing with drug tests, money, all of it. Roy Williams is the king of Chapel Hill, just like Boeheim is the king of Syracuse. They have full access to everything regarding the effects of their players upon their program. All of this is preventable. Anything systematic is either by direct guilt of the coach, or by purposefully turning a blind eye.

This is a much bigger issue because it's completely within the athletic department. There is no way for the basketball coaches/staff/etc. to not know that someone failed a drug test. Just like it's not possible for them to know someone is ineligible academically. The reason it's a bigger issue is because the basketball program blantantly violated the rules and were completely aware of what was going on. This was an athletic issue that drifted into academics to keep athletes eligible. This was not an academic issue that happened to include student athletes.

The only violations that a head coach could not know about are individual actions taken by players in specific encounters. Even then, it wouldn't be sustainable for a long time because of the reach of a coach who is active in rooting it out. If it still occurs and is uncovered, then there would be a clear and unmistakable argument by the coach demonstrating that any violation happened not only behind the coach, but in the face of great effort to prevent and correct. That is when the coach and the program are not responsible.

Again, as a head coach how often do you think you'd be with players away from the team? Meaning when they're out with friends, not on a road trip, not at practice, team meal, weights, film, etc. And, how do you think you, as a coach, would go about "being active in rooting it out"? Sure, it sounds nice and like a solid idea, but I'm not sure how you expect to accomplish that without a babysitter 24/7.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the compliance issue is all overblown. Anyone that thinks athletes are not receiving preferential treatment has their head in the sand.

To just say Roy or Boeheim deserve some great penalty...you might as well lock them all up. Because they all do this shit. All of them. Just some get caught or are unable to slime their way out so easily.

All of cbb and cfb is about the money. Nothing more.

Yep. I know at my school athletes had first choice of classes because they had to be able to get classes at the times they needed. When it came to some semesters everyone knew if you showed up to a class and a majority of the students were athletes you got an easy class. That was because of several reasons.
a) everyone knew the easy classes.
b) athletes got first dibs at easy classes.

That, to me, was preferential treatment because they were taking classes that I could not. But, I don't think that's something the NCAA can penalize schools for and it wasn't a money issue.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
jonvi, I agree that the problem is huge. And I also think that making clear lines between players that can actually have money that they need and earn, get it. If players aren't starving, and actually have the ability to live, play, and learn without being tempted with hunger pains, than it makes all of this much easier to demarcate bullshit violations, from serious ones.

Ummmm...athletes are given places to live and food to eat at every school. Meal plans are included in scholarships, as are dorm rooms. And, if athletes are spending less money on their apartment than their scholarship is for do you know where that money goes? Their pocket. It's spending money. So, they have a place to live, they have food, and depending on the price of their apartment, they have spending money too. Also, on road trips they're feed really well, they have their cafeteria to eat, etc. Athletes aren't starving at any school. Maybe they don't like their cafeteria food, or maybe they don't like that they can't eat 24/7 because dining halls aren't open 24/7 but they've got food. They're not starving, at all. And, when dining halls are closed, wanna know how student athletes eat during the season? They're fed, or given a stipend for food.

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Realistically you CAN'T know everything that the players do. The amount of resources you'd have to dedicate to doing that simply isn't feasible, and the level of oppressive totalitarianism would prevent pretty much any recruit from ever committing. So I think you're going to see isolated incidents at pretty much every program, and yes, in that regard, I do think pretty much every program has some dirt.

but there is a difference between isolated incidents and systemic problems. I have no real issue claiming ignorance of an isolated incident. Claiming ignorance on systemic problems however is bullshit.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Realistically you CAN'T know everything that the players do. The amount of resources you'd have to dedicate to doing that simply isn't feasible, and the level of oppressive totalitarianism would prevent pretty much any recruit from ever committing. So I think you're going to see isolated incidents at pretty much every program, and yes, in that regard, I do think pretty much every program has some dirt.

but there is a difference between isolated incidents and systemic problems. I have no real issue claiming ignorance of an isolated incident. Claiming ignorance on systemic problems however is bullshit.

Bingo

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Who set these classes up to keep players eligible? How is it possible for Roy Williams to know. Instead of telling me that you would know, tell me what steps you would take to fully understand what is going on at your university? You're not just going to assume that classes offered at a presitigious university are legitimate? Are you going to investigate each and every one of them? Or just the easy ones, or how are deciding which ones you look into?

Yeah, I understand that. I'm familiar. The coaches I worked with were familiar with grades, and how classes were going. They were never responsible for going to class. They were not responsible for knowing how they went about getting grades. Do you think the coaches at Arizona are going to class to make sure the classes are legit? Are they going to class to make sure the basketball players aren't cheating on their midterms? Etc.

This is a much bigger issue because it's completely within the athletic department. There is no way for the basketball coaches/staff/etc. to not know that someone failed a drug test. Just like it's not possible for them to know someone is ineligible academically. The reason it's a bigger issue is because the basketball program blantantly violated the rules and were completely aware of what was going on. This was an athletic issue that drifted into academics to keep athletes eligible. This was not an academic issue that happened to include student athletes.

Again, as a head coach how often do you think you'd be with players away from the team? Meaning when they're out with friends, not on a road trip, not at practice, team meal, weights, film, etc. And, how do you think you, as a coach, would go about "being active in rooting it out"? Sure, it sounds nice and like a solid idea, but I'm not sure how you expect to accomplish that without a babysitter 24/7.

If you are recruiting a player that you know has bad grades in hs, and barely passes his SATs, then clearly that player is going to need attention to maintain eligibility. Like you said, coaches are familiar with grades and how classes are going. If the "easy classes" are an elective like basket weaving, that's one thing. But if it's a major, and the coaches notice that player after player is choosing this major and these classes, and all of a sudden players that were struggling in hs are rolling through college, then how could the coaches not know??

The fact is that with players being at workouts, meals, practices, film sessions, on the road together, at tourneys, and games, they see quite a bit of each other. The tutors are another source of accountability of the players for the coaches. No one is saying that they need to sit in class with them, but when a coach's salary and the legacy of the program rests on it, then the coaches have more than enough opportunities to be involved to the point that they would see this happening before it went on for years and years.

If you are an assistant, and you are watching grades and classes, and all of these players start picking a major that is the same, and while watching grades you notice that players are cruising through classes that they used to struggle in, and you know what the consequences are, how could you not be all over that? How do the assistants then not tell the head coach? Knowing what is at stake for his own program and position, how is he not the first one to get in front of it and make sure he distances it from the program by showing everything he has in place to prevent it?

The only way you don't is if you already know about it, or you maintain a culture of "out of sight, out of mind".

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Thank you. That has been my point this whole time.

If you have a culture in place that makes it so that red flags fly when things like this happen, then it doesn't go on for a decade. It's an isolated event that got past everyone, and it's treated as a violation by the player. But when it's player after player, year after year, then clearly the coach doesn't have a handle on his own program. Clearly the coach isn't interested in covering his own program.

If I know that something could cost me everything, I make sure that my program is covered.

I'm not saying anything close to dictating every move by every player. If you have a system in place that makes it so these things can't go long without being discovered, then it gets caught early. At that point, the coach and program are praised for policing itself, and catching it early. Then it is more likely to fall on the player(s).

But if an assistant doesn't put it together, then what the fuck is the coach doing caring about classes and eligibility to begin with? Obviously, part of that job is not just that the player does the work and passes, but that the manner in which he does is systematically compliant. If he cheats beyond that, it's on him.

How could an assistant miss something like that for a decade? How does he not then tell the head coach? How then does the head coach not know. Knowing, how then does the coach not put a stop to it? If you have a culture of not being accountable, then it continues.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ummmm...athletes are given places to live and food to eat at every school. Meal plans are included in scholarships, as are dorm rooms. And, if athletes are spending less money on their apartment than their scholarship is for do you know where that money goes? Their pocket. It's spending money. So, they have a place to live, they have food, and depending on the price of their apartment, they have spending money too. Also, on road trips they're feed really well, they have their cafeteria to eat, etc. Athletes aren't starving at any school. Maybe they don't like their cafeteria food, or maybe they don't like that they can't eat 24/7 because dining halls aren't open 24/7 but they've got food. They're not starving, at all. And, when dining halls are closed, wanna know how student athletes eat during the season? They're fed, or given a stipend for food.

I get it. I was being facetious. I understand the meal plan and living. But they also improved those a bit, too. Aside from all of that, my point is that it doesn't really leave a lot of money at all for anything else. Don't get me wrong, I'm not pitying athletes who want to party and blow all of their money. But realistically speaking, they don't get very much room for spending at the end of the month. Players who have nothing going in don't get to ask mom and dad for some money to float them a week.

Again, I'm not making excuses, but the NCAA puts poor athletes in a position to take money (or shit, just some meals, and some money to by cleaning supplies, gas money, etc.) that is not like getting handed $10,000 by a booster. I'm just saying that the rules need to be re-evaluated. If the players are given enough so that the excuse of not getting money, is gone, then it clears up some current grey lines.