• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Clowney

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're right pre June 1, but there is something to the June 1 cut date though...I remember reading on one of the Steeler blogs about Troy P...the Steelers would save X amount if released prior to June 1 and Y amount if released after.

Ok I found something. I cut this from the Overthecap.com

Explaining the June 1st Designation

One of the questions I get a lot deals with what a “post June 1” cut is and how designating someone a June 1 cut helps my team. So lets talk a bit about that today.

What we are talking about here deals strictly with the acceleration of prorated bonus money onto the current years salary cap. The NFL essentially breaks up its salary cap accounting for bonuses into two periods with June 1 being the trigger date. When a player is removed from a players roster prior to June 1st all his remaining unamortized bonus money immediately accelerates onto the salary cap. To illustrate this we see how the Kansas City Chiefs gave Steve Breaston a $5 million dollar signing bonus in 2011, which was accounted as $1 million in yearly expenses over the course of his 5 year contract. When he was released just the other day he had only completed 2 years of his 5 year contract meaning the Chiefs salary cap had only accounted for $2 million of the $5 million paid in 2011. The balance of $3 million dollars immediately accelerates onto the Chiefs 2013 salary cap.

After June 1 the NFL changes the way the acceleration works. After June 1st only the current years expense remains on the books after the player is released. The balance accelerates onto the following years salary cap. So in Breastons case had the Chiefs waited until June 1st to release him his salary cap charge in 2013 would have been $1 million and in 2014 he still would be on the books at $2 million dollars.
Ah, okay, I didn't know that. So that means he'll be using up the normal amount this year with a bigger hit next year.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ah, okay, I didn't know that. So that means he'll be using up the normal amount this year with a bigger hit next year.

Pretty much.

Idk who owns the option bonus, but worse case (incl option bonuses) he'll count $2.8 mil against the cap this year (saving his base $4.5 mil salary so they net $1.7 mil)...and in '16 the remaining $5.6 mil should accelerate.

But...they take $5.2, $6.5, and $6.6 off the books...Baker should land on his feet somewhere as soon as his health allows, but this was a good move for the Falcons imo.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a siss. Too hurt to play my ass. He doesn't want to play.

Golden Spur

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They actually have JD playing LB - i mean like covering pass routes and stuff. He's never been a good fit for a 3-4 (that's why he turned down Bama in the recruiting process, btw). Panthers should offer their 1st round pick for him. If he gets into a 4-3, he'll be fine.

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They actually have JD playing LB - i mean like covering pass routes and stuff. He's never been a good fit for a 3-4 (that's why he turned down Bama in the recruiting process, btw). Panthers should offer their 1st round pick for him. If he gets into a 4-3, he'll be fine.

Or have the Raiders trade Mack and Carr for him and a 3rd round pick

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I don't know if this site has any credibility whatsoever, but they claim Clowney sent this text message on October 8th:

"I HATE the Texans, and Houston as a city. It’s way too may white people here for me. JJ Watt is so overrated. I can’t wait to get out of here!"

Is Clowney a racist, malcontent, injury faker who wants to be traded? These people think so:

Jadeveon Clowney Fake Injury and Trade Demand | THE HOLLYWEIRD TIMES

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know if this site has any credibility whatsoever, but they claim Clowney sent this text message on October 8th:

"I HATE the Texans, and Houston as a city. It’s way too may white people here for me. JJ Watt is so overrated. I can’t wait to get out of here!"

Is Clowney a racist, malcontent, injury faker who wants to be traded? These people think so:

Jadeveon Clowney Fake Injury and Trade Demand | THE HOLLYWEIRD TIMES

I cant find anything about this text from any other source, so i say theyre full of shit.

I just think the guy doesnt have the Drive to be great. Though i do think he will be awesome in his contract year.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Amen...idk if he'll be a super stud, but this was ill fated from day one in HOU...ATL tried to make a deal, but the Texans were greedy thinking Dimitroff would overpay...they stuck to 1st & 3rd and HOU told them to stove it, we're keeping this square peg for our round hole DEF.

For certain he won't be a 2nd contract player in HOU.