• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cleveland now going after Joe Johnson

Demonjoe93

The Hawks make me emo
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Source

Nets are apparently facing the risk of a repeater tax.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why do they need him? Could have sworn they said Delly was their savior.

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joe Johnson is still a solid small forward in most circumstances...but I totally forgot he makes 24.9 mil next season

Since signing his 6 years 123 mil Joe Johnson has not averaged more than 18 ppg.

I guess if Cleveland is willing to absorb that contract and willing to pay the luxury tax then I guess it's not a bad move? Not necessarily a good move either

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
where in the blue hell is Cleveland getting all this money from?

Jesus, I think I've seen this before...What the Cavs are doing is the same thing we did to get our economy into the shitter.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
14.4 pts per game, shooting 43%, playing average defense ....all at the prime age of 34

Pay him 25 million a year and trade 2 valuable assets to get him.

That is the most Cleveland thing ever.

SDGuy73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,159.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
14.4 pts per game, shooting 43%, playing average defense ....all at the prime age of 34

Only one year. Trading those two helps. Varejao clears $10M next year also. So, in reality....you pay JJ $5M more. Heywood doesn't see any playing time. JJ provides more offense than Varejao

hockey878

Hoopla Cash
$ 300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't think its a great move, but it is the last year of his deal. And he could be a solid bench player, his role will be way different in Cleveland than it would be in Brooklyn including MUCH less defensive focus (so i think the efficiency would likely improve). He is a definite upgrade over JR Smith and my guess is his D would improve if he played for a contender. If he works out for them, he might be willing to resign for cheap next year.

Also, considering the fact they have TT, Moz, Love and LBJ (at times) to play as bigs and Varejao's injury history I'd actually considering offloading his longer term deal a win for the cavs. IMO he is 10 mil of wasted money. I would much rather pay JJ 25 mil this year than varejao 10+ for the next 3 or 4 (can't remember how long the deal is). Getting Mozgov combined with TT being a younger, more athletic varejao makes him pretty expendable in my eyes.

We'll see if it happens, but I think it is a good move overall. Especially cuz they would get to dump Varejao's contract, something I have been stressing as an offseason priority since the playoffs

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would rather them get someone else, but really wouldnt lose anything but an injury prone Varajeo. I would rather them getting someone else, cheaper and just have to give up the Haywood contract.

It's Windhorst and his rumors anyway, probably not likely.

Four4Four

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joe Johnson for what. they're not gonna utilize his talents. even though he's up there in age, he still can create his own shot and take people of the dribble. his basically taking jame jones spot. he'll be just another guy standing in the corner for the 3 ball.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They'd be trading $20 mill of un-used players for his 1 year $25 mill contract.

Without even getting to the basketball side of things... it makes money sense in every single way (for both teams). You dump Varejoa's long-term bad contract. You get Johnson on an expiring deal... which opens things way up for flexibility next off-season.

As far as basketball... I have to question anyone who can't see where Joe Johnson could help the Cavs. He doesn't need to be $25 mill Johnson for them... he becomes an important role player. They're shallow at wing/guard... especially ones that can shoot.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2010: 31
2011: 25
2012: 25
2013: 65
Gives out giant contract extension.
2014: 26

Those are Varejao's games played by year. What the hell they were doing handing him an extension last year is beyond me. 26 games played last year was what the Cav's should have been expecting.

Getting rid of his deal a year early is worth taking on JJ's contract for a single season because at least JJ fits a need and will have a role on the team. It is a bit of a waste of a nice asset (the Haywood contract) but no matter what they were going to have to pay someone to eat Varejao's contract at some point and this is less than it could have been.

Last edited:

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just looking at Cleveland team salary.

Cleveland fans: Why is there so much talk about Thompson getting a long term extension?

He is a RFA and Cleveland should be able to bring him back on his one year tender. Why would they go long term with him and make him more expensive this year?

I still can't imagine any team swooping in and starting a contract bidding war over a guy as average at his position (saying he is league average at his position is being generous) as Thompson.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just looking at Cleveland team salary.

Cleveland fans: Why is there so much talk about Thompson getting a long term extension?

He is a RFA and Cleveland should be able to bring him back on his one year tender. Why would they go long term with him and make him more expensive this year?

I still can't imagine any team swooping in and starting a contract bidding war over a guy as average at his position (saying he is league average at his position is being generous) as Thompson.

1) Locking in any young player before the salary cap jumps is generally a good idea. As much as he wants now... he'd want even more next year with the new cap.

2) There would definitely be suitors in the $13-15 mill range. But the fact that CLE has said they'll match anything has kept the bidding war from happening.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2) There would definitely be suitors in the $13-15 mill range. But the fact that CLE has said they'll match anything has kept the bidding war from happening.

IMO paying Thompson that much is dumber than handing Varejao that extension 9 months ago.

The guy is a bench big. I don't care where the cap is going....that is almost 2 times too much for a guy like him.

...and I can not imagine any team in the league with cap space making a play for Thompson at anything close to that. Why would you commit big money to assure yourself a below average starting PF moving forward?

The only reason Thompson even sniffs $10M per is because Lebron is his agent and is pressuring the Cav's to get a deal done IMO. Makes no sense to me. His value should be somewhere just over the Ed Davis deal.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO paying Thompson that much is dumber than handing Varejao that extension 9 months ago.

The guy is a bench big. I don't care where the cap is going....that is almost 2 times too much for a guy like him.

...and I can not imagine any team in the league with cap space making a play for Thompson at anything close to that. Why would you commit big money to assure yourself a below average starting PF moving forward?

The only reason Thompson even sniffs $10M per is because Lebron is his agent and is pressuring the Cav's to get a deal done IMO. Makes no sense to me. His value should be somewhere just over the Ed Davis deal.

I think you're undervaluing Thompson, but hey... different opinions is part of what makes sports fun.

Before Free Agency started... the general consensus from analysts was that he made the right moving turning down the $13 mill per year last season. Most believe his value is right around that number and that many teams would be willing to hit that number.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you're undervaluing Thompson, but hey... different opinions is part of what makes sports fun.

Before Free Agency started... the general consensus from analysts was that he made the right moving turning down the $13 mill per year last season. Most believe his value is right around that number and that many teams would be willing to hit that number.

Yeah these boards would be pretty boring if we all agreed.

I just can't imagine a team going anywhere close to that for Thompson. He is a backup big on a good team and a starting big on a bad team IMO.

He is most certainly a useful player. But he is either a starting PF or a backup big. No team is going to look at him as a starting C. He just can't rim defend or post defend the bigger guys to make him a starting C.

And with the number of quality PF's in the league, he is a below average starting player at his position. Why would you pay so much for a player that is below average at his position?

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trade has gone stale. New rumor now is that they're looking to move Haywood's contract for Jamal Crawford, straight up. Clippers fucked up and forgot to address the center position so they are desperate for cap space, so this could actually work pretty easily.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would think if LAC wants Varajeo too, they will have to throw in more than Crawford. Or possibly 3-team trade idk