• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Clarkson's Asking Price: At What Point do the Devils say, "No, Thanks" (Poll)

How much is too much?

• Total voters

MCDevils

NJ Devils: Sweden West
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Simple question: It's a weak FA pool and Clarkson is going to get paid a lot. At what AAV Cap Hit, do the Devils just need to say no?

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Realistically I think he should be a $3.5 - $4 million player. Maybe I could stomach a $4.5 contract, but $5 million is top line player money, he's not a top line player.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Anything north of 4 million is too much. he isn't physical anymore he tries to score.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
no i agree i dont think 4 will keep him. imo though 4 million is the max i would spend on him.

i really dont see him scoring 20 goals let alone 30 esp on another team. remember clarkson is getting pp1 time here and playing 2nd line mins after his insane hot start he was a ghost for 3/4 of the season.

yeah hes a good "mix" of a fighter/goal scorer but he doesnt seem to balance both of them its either all of one and none of the other.

TheSgtDabbs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd honestly say anything is too high, I don't really want to keep him. Once he gets that contract he will go to crap anyway. He had one great season IMO, not enough for 5 mil per year.And we need to get away from his type of jack of all trades, master of none type player.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't want my team to give him more than 4M, but he's probably going to get it from some team. Last year it was Parise. This year Clarkson. Who will the Devils get to take Clarkson's spot if he leaves?

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't want my team to give him more than 4M, but he's probably going to get it from some team. Last year it was Parise. This year Clarkson. Who will the Devils get to take Clarkson's spot if he leaves?

The hope would be that Stefan Matteau could eventually replace him as the physical forward that can chip in offensively. Whether or not he can do that immediately, who knows?

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The hope would be that Stefan Matteau could eventually replace him as the physical forward that can chip in offensively. Whether or not he can do that immediately, who knows?

That's a lot to expect from a kid taken in the 2012 draft. Garth said in a meeting with season ticket holders that Strome is likely to be playing in Bridgeport next season.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Dabbs I agree with you. I wish they dealt him at the deadline that draft pick would've been nice!

To be honest what are we going to miss if he leaves? 15 goals? 3rd line mins? As we have seen this year he cant play 2nd line and he shouldnt be getting 1pp time. I think the nhl is full of players like that. I say let him walk and keep zubrus on the xheap. Only thing clarkson has going for him is he is "young"

Devils will keep him at 4.5-5.0 range. People will say the devils have to do it because Parise left I really hope they dont.

Vortimous

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree he is not worth upper 4. My problem is, I like his annoying factor to other teams... kind of like Claude was for us. We don't have that in any other player and I like Clarkson filling that role. But with that being said, hes not worth upper 4 for being annoying....

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Frankly, I wouldn't have the slightest problem with giving him $10M over 2 or even $11M. It's just scary because even though he scored at around a 30G pace this season, it was front loaded. If he stays and scored 25-30 this season then he's totally worth it. He scored the most goals on the team this season and had the most PPG. He scored one less goal than Parise the year before. How can the Devils afford to let that go and not go even more downhill? I don't think they can. Short term would be amazing, but I doubt that happens.

Lucic did a $18M over 3yr, so even if Clarkson would agree to that, I think that would be fine, because even if he can't put up 25-30 it's a short deal.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
clarkson could only wish to be in lucic league.

the only way that a 5 million dollar contract makes sense is if he scores 25-30 goals. sorry but 5 million for 20 goals? thats why we will probably head to another lockout in 8 years.

problem is he certainly isnt a first line player. he is borderline at most 2nd line player...so your paying 5 million for a 3rd line player?

so the answer to letting parise leave is to keep clarkson? i get what your saying but it doesnt make sense. i would just go in a total different direction. give zubrus (who i hate) a low contract put him on the 3rd line in clarkson place and go out and try and pick up a legit 2nd line winger to play with elias and king slayer.

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Honestly, Clarkson has way less assists, but his Goals Scored are basically identical to Lucic's two seasons before his big contract. Again, I don't care too much if it's big money per season as long as it's a shorter deal.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't compare Clarkson and Lucic. Lucic is much younger (he just turned 25 on June 7th). I don't want to lose Clarkson because he does bring a lot to the table. He is really the only agitator/fighter that we have and if he can add 20 goals a year that's huge. But that doesn't mean he deserves top line money.

rp2five

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
He will get 5 million per year easily.
Best chance for the Devils is to sign him now before the bidding begins.
I think 4 to 4.5 million is the highest the Devils should offer him.
Ideal would be short term, but there is no way Clarkson wants short term. He will want max years and the highest amount possible.

He's probably gone.

rp2five

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
He does bring a lot of intangibles to the game. If he succeeds getting under the skin of other teams, he draws power plays (not that it helped much lately), and can throw them off their games. He constantly yaps out there and is a pain to play against.
I know he disappeared later on in the season, but I would like to have him back at the right price.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
clarkson might be the worst skating 5 million dollar nhl player in history.

lesson to all those with kids. if you cant skate you can still make millions!