• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Chuck Pagano: AFC South Has 'Four Young, Legitimate Quarterbacks'

packerzrule

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 30.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When looking at starters...Luck is a top 3 QB in the NFL to me. He wasn't healthy last year and that team needs A LOT of help for any QB to succeed. The other 3 are likely going to be somewhere between 20 - 32 and at least 2 of the 3 will likely be 25-32...JMHO...

top 3 in his division but not the league

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never as great as if you didn't throw the ball down the field, but I think you understood what I meant.

And he also had 100% more TD passes.

"If" doesn't matter though. There have been years when Rodgers or Ben have been tops in the league in air yards/attempt, and still had high 60s completion %.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They would have been even higher if they didn't. I've never stated he doesn't have things to improve at, every player does and especially every young QB. RW for example needs to be a better passer in the red zone (and no, I'm not alluding to one play at all) maybe it's him or maybe he doesn't have red zone receivers. The point is Lucks flaws are overstated by some and it seems to often be certain groups. Put him on a better team (and healthy) and you would see totally different stats. But, I don't go by stats, I go by what I see. I think stats are for people who get their opinions from the paper the next day.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is obvious that Luck is an elite talent but he is lacking something to his metal game that is dragging his performances down. If you want to base it purely on Madden-like numbers he is great, but unfortunately for your deluded position on the subject, reality intervenes and shows the currently very large flaws in his game.

Two words explain IMO. Coach ing

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two words explain IMO. Coach ing

I already stated in this thread that if he would have had, for instance, Harbaugh as his coach like he did in college that his pro career might have developed differently than it has. But he doesn't and it hasn't.

The point remains. According to some it is the coach's fault, the teammates fault, management's fault, the mascot's fault, etc. But Luck gets a free pass for his own performances?!? It makes no sense at all.

I have repeatably admitted that he has great talent, but am attacked for not agreeing that a QB with poor completion percentage and extremely turn over prone is a top-3 QB?!? Some people need a reality check.

As I have also repeatably stated: Luck certainly is talented enough to turn it around and become the great HOF level QB that many think he already is despite mediocre on field performances. I can't even begin to understand why this analysis is not acceptable to some. What is it in your head that will not allow you to admit that Luck has underachieved in comparison to expectations to this point??

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I already stated in this thread that if he would have had, for instance, Harbaugh as his coach like he did in college that his pro career might have developed differently than it has. But he doesn't and it hasn't.

The point remains. According to some it is the coach's fault, the teammates fault, management's fault, the mascot's fault, etc. But Luck gets a free pass for his own performances?!? It makes no sense at all.

I have repeatably admitted that he has great talent, but am attacked for not agreeing that a QB with poor completion percentage and extremely turn over prone is a top-3 QB?!? Some people need a reality check.

As I have also repeatably stated: Luck certainly is talented enough to turn it around and become the great HOF level QB that many think he already is despite mediocre on field performances. I can't even begin to understand why this analysis is not acceptable to some. What is it in your head that will not allow you to admit that Luck has underachieved in comparison to expectations to this point??

I didn't attack you.

Luck had a very bad 2015 season there is no denying that. I think playing through injuries (can you imagine throwing a football with injured ribs?) and poor coaching played a huge part in it. Chuck Pagano seems like a good man, but IMO he is in over his head as HC.

MIKE75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Blake Bortles and Marcus Marriotta were eliminated from playoff contention around Week 6 last season

Until Further notice, Andrew Luck is the only QB in that division

I would have to respectfully disagree with ya on this one. Let's take Osweiler out of the discussion he has proved nothing i'll give you that. However the main reason both Bortles and Mariota were eliminated is due to the rebuilding their teams are going through. Once they are done rebuilding both QB's have proved they are doing really well already.

First we have Mariota.....

*The first rookie QB in NFL history to post a perfect 158.3 passer rating on opening week in his very first game.

*The youngest QB ever to throw 4 TDs in a game

*Mariota and Titan's 28-point margin of victory with Wk 1 rookie starting QB was largest since 1948.

*Mariota became the first QB in NFL history with at least 250 yards/3 TDs passing and rush for 100+ yards in same game.

*Tied the NFL record for most touchdown passes through his first three games with eight.

*By week 8 was the first rookie in history with two games 4+ TD passes & 0 INTs in a season.

*First player since Walter Payton in 1983 to have TDs of at least 40 yds passing, rushing & receiving in the same season.

*At one point was best in NFL QB red-zone rating w/ 16TD thrown and 0INT and a QB rating 115.7.

*Mariota's 87-yard touchdown run against Jax was the longest rush in the NFL that season and second-longest run by an NFL quarterback in NFL history.

Breaking records by Tom Brady,Peyton Manning and Walter Payton is pretty damn good for a rookie QB.

The fact that Mariota accomplished this on a team with no offensive line or running game is incredible.

Now on to Bortles....

Bortles and the Jags finished top ten in pass offense. 2015

Bortles passes for 4,400 yards and 35TD's 2015 Both are new franchise records. He broke Mark Brunnels previous records.

Most pass completions in a single season –355 , new franchise record 2015

Most passing touchdowns in a single game – 5 in a week 13 loss to Tennessee. , new franchise record 2015

Most consecutive games with a passing touchdown – 15 (Week 1, 2015–Week 16, 2015)

Andrew Luck might be the best for now but both Mariota and Bortles are legit and really good and here to stay.

The AFC South is no longer a team or one QB division thats history.

The Colts feasted on weaker teams for many years but all are improved now so its no longer a cakewalk.

MIKE75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Colts almost every year were going 11-5.

Also you could say that 6 out of the 11 wins the Colts were getting each year were over division teams with no QB.

Take the division teams out and the Colts are 5-6.

So when they played outside the division they were a .500 team or slightly better.

Will be very interesting to see what Indy does in 2015. My guess? 9-7

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,106.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I call BS on this. None of the 4 are superstars and saying they have 4 legit QB's may be a bit of a stretch as well....here's my take on the 4:

Luck is great at times but a TO machine at others. He's a middle of the pack QB in the league imo. Not to mention, he has a tendency to get hurt.

Bortles may eventually be the best of the bunch, he threw 35 TD's (to 18 INT's, a great improvement from his rookie season) but he also threw 606 passes.....His completion % was 58.6, 31st in the league. He clearly benefitted from being in a pass happy offense.

Osweiler is the great unknown.....he showed promise in Denver but he also showed rookie type mistakes (not too surprising since it was his first significant amount of playing time). The Texans opened the checkbook in the hopes he can be an upgrade over their QB's but this season should indicate wether it was a good or bad move.

Mariota showed ups and downs as a rookie. The Titans were 28th in the league in scoring offense. His status in the league is pending his sophomore season.

Luck and Bortles are the only 2 that have proven they can be capable starters in the NFL at this point.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Luck may yet become the QB that everybody is expecting him to become.
Indy will probably draft a whole bunch more wide receivers again this year - that should do the trick! :thumb:

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why are Seahawks and Brady fans so incredibly insecure about Andrew Luck? That's always puzzled me. :scratch:

Not insecure. Just that Luck Has not proven himself when the chips are down like some QB's.

IMO Luck is cruising into Marino/Fouts territory. Great Regular Season QB but always finds a way to shit the bed in the Playoffs when it counts.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not insecure. Just that Luck Has not proven himself when the chips are down like some QB's.

IMO Luck is cruising into Marino/Fouts territory. Great Regular Season QB but always finds a way to shit the bed in the Playoffs when it counts.

Your avatar glorifies RW and makes fun of Andrew Luck.

May I please repeat: Why are Seahawks and Brady fans so incredibly insecure about Andrew Luck?

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your avatar glorifies RW and makes fun of Andrew Luck.

May I please repeat: Why are Seahawks and Brady fans so incredibly insecure about Andrew Luck?

Nice deflection

In the playoffs. Luck needs to prove that he is everything the media says he is. To which he hasn't

Btw a little off topic but like Tom Brady. Does Russell Wilson own some of that space in your head????

Asking for a friend

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice deflection

In the playoffs. Luck needs to prove that he is everything the media says he is. To which he hasn't

Btw a little off topic but like Tom Brady. Does Russell Wilson own some of that space in your head????

Asking for a friend

You should ask something really clever like "did Russell Wilson bang your girlfriend or something?" No one's ever thought of that before.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You should ask something really clever like "did Russell Wilson bang your girlfriend or something?" No one's ever thought of that before.
That would be a silly question, because RW hasn't banged any girl.

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I say what is on my mind. But since you asked me. Did he?????