• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Christian Folin

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Flyers are apparently going after this guy pretty hard, I'll leave some quotes and links below.

Eliteprospects.com - Christian Folin

http://viewfrom123.com/2014/03/christian-folin-atop-college-unrestricted-free-agent-list/

Hotstove: NHL teams after college star Christian Folin - NHL on CBC Sports - Hockey news, opinion, scores, stats, standings

"Flyers are going hard at U.S. college free-agent defenceman, Christian Folin, whom the Leafs apparently have no interest in. Funny Folin story: Flyers GM Paul Holmgren on the young defender: “He’s a good, young defencemen. He’s a good-looking player. He’s big.” When asked the exact same question a week ago by a reporter, Holmgren answered: “Who the (expletive) do you think you are? Why would I tell you if we’re interested in that guy.” - Toronto Sun

I'm all for this, signing a guy out of College is one less draft pick we need to use and then if a great deal is available at the draft hinging on a 1st rounder it gives us that flexibility. This also reaffirms the commitment to rebuilding our defensive prospect pool and trying to grow some NHL defense men instead of hoping one falls out of thin air or trading our future for an established one. One of the things that I think Homer and his staff does exceptionally well is identify and then pursue college ufa's, just look at Matt Read.

What do you guys think?

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy shit sign em all then can be our 4th line when we play the Caps :hockeysmile:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4_w64ed1Tw]Christian Folin Hockey Fight #1 - YouTube[/ame]

Folin is 26 I believe the last guy into the fight, he looks huge at 6'4 210lbs for a college kid.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would love for the Flyers to sign him - it would help the process of improving the defense for the future for sure

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Flyers have been very active on the college free agent market for years. They were hard after dekeyser and Schultz too. Hope he signs with the right team!

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't hurt. We have really built up a good crop of defensive prospects. If we are able to sign Folin and maybe ben draft a defenseman with our 1st I'd say our defensive future will be totally rebuilt.

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been debating with my buddy Ryan who scouts college (and works to sift through draft candidates) for the Flyers if trading up for Ekblad would be worth it. I'm not in favor of it if the price tag stays the same but if it were to come down from 2 elite forward top line prospects and a 1st to say an NHL player and a 1st or a few good prospects and a 1st & 2nd it would be something very interesting to pursue. His take is that Ekblad is definitely worth it but that there are several collegiate and overseas defense men who could be had without making any trade what so ever and even though they may not be as good as Ekblad that the Flyers could sign more then one and liquidate any mediocre to sub-par defense men they may have on the Phantoms and let the signed players develop. He also pointed out that if we were lucky enough to sign a guy or one of our prospects developed faster then expected it would give us some flexibility to possibly pursue an elite scoring winger or an true #1 defense men through the trade route.

As far as Folin goes, he says that he feels that with the blend of size, skill & "edge" Folin possess that he would be a very good pick up for the Flyers. He also said that the Flyers had been interested in both Greg Carey ( Eliteprospects.com - Greg Carey ) and his Brother Matt Carey ( Eliteprospects.com - Matt Carey ) but so were a lot of teams just like with Folin. Greg signed with the Coyotes and Matt signed with the Blackhawks. This is actually the area that I give Homer full credit for getting the Flyers into, during the Clarke era you hardly ever saw college kids getting looked at if they went undrafted. I'm hoping that the Flyers can make a few more of these type of exceptional signings like with Read & Raffl because this team is starting to look like it's not only legitimately dangerous come the playoffs but also that it's built to be like that for the long haul.

Progeriakid

Hanging Pork
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good read and great points made bandit, thx, I hope they can land him, it would be a nice pickup.

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been debating with my buddy Ryan who scouts college (and works to sift through draft candidates) for the Flyers if trading up for Ekblad would be worth it. I'm not in favor of it if the price tag stays the same but if it were to come down from 2 elite forward top line prospects and a 1st to say an NHL player and a 1st or a few good prospects and a 1st & 2nd it would be something very interesting to pursue. His take is that Ekblad is definitely worth it but that there are several collegiate and overseas defense men who could be had without making any trade what so ever and even though they may not be as good as Ekblad that the Flyers could sign more then one and liquidate any mediocre to sub-par defense men they may have on the Phantoms and let the signed players develop. He also pointed out that if we were lucky enough to sign a guy or one of our prospects developed faster then expected it would give us some flexibility to possibly pursue an elite scoring winger or an true #1 defense men through the trade route.

Unless the lottery changes things up, I expect Buffalo will be taking Reinhart allowing Edmonton to grab Ekblad. If MacTavish is dumb enough to trade away the Ekblad pick, a match made in heaven, then Homer better be all over it. While Edmonton could use some balls on their team and a guy like Bennet or Dal Colle would do wonders, a prospect like Ekblad with Nurse and Klefbom is too much to pass up

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless the lottery changes things up, I expect Buffalo will be taking Reinhart allowing Edmonton to grab Ekblad. If MacTavish is dumb enough to trade away the Ekblad pick, a match made in heaven, then Homer better be all over it. While Edmonton could use some balls on their team and a guy like Bennet or Dal Colle would do wonders, a prospect like Ekblad with Nurse and Klefbom is too much to pass up

I really can't see Buffalo taking Reinhart first. I know he is the much better fit for Buffalo then Ekblad and he is an exceptionally talented player but when you look at what Buffalo has done as far as maximizing trade value(/returns) it makes no sense. I could see them trading their first to the Oilers who could have the second pick while asking for and getting another asset (pick or offensive prospect). I could also see them trading the pick for a package from another team or some young NHL ready players. I mean anything is possible but knowing that not just the Oilers but probably half the league has varying degrees of interest in Ekblad. I just think they will end trading the first pick or drafting Ekblad and trading some of their defensive assets away since he may have a higher ceiling and could possibly be more NHL ready. If we could trade for the pick (Ekblad) without gutting our depth I'd love it, I'd also love if we could somehow trade for Rasmus Ristolainen ( Eliteprospects.com - Rasmus Ristolainen ) but I'm sure the cost would also be extremely high.

Quick article mentioning Folin. AN EYE ON THE FUTURE - Philadelphia Flyers - News

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On HNIC, Elliotte Friedman was saying that the teams interested in Christian Folin were the Flyers, Wild, Capitals and a darkhorse might be the Avalanche

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On HNIC, Elliotte Friedman was saying that the teams interested in Christian Folin were the Flyers, Wild, Capitals and a darkhorse might be the Avalanche

Interesting the teams have changed. Boston dropped out, Minny is a bad destination because they're stock piled with defensive prospect but I'm not sure the quality past Dumba, the Caps probably won't be serious contenders for him (he's Swedish and apparently wants a good hockey market team). I'm ignoring the Arabs for a minute because I heard they may make a plan for Subban and it would probably cost the O'Reilly, they apparently REALLY want to keep Stasny.

So it's the ever declining Oilers where he'd should Make the team, oh wait I forget the have the next 6 Ray Bourques in their farm system or the Flyers, I like our chances. However we all know the real list of teams is probably closer to 20. I think the Flyers brass will get this done and then We'll either draft a defenseman (even though I'm not impressed with most available because their either big and can't fucking skate or tiny and will get pushed around). This draft is full of good third line shut down and agitator types who can score but we already have Rinaldo (who yes could start scoring give the opportunity and line mates) & Cousins in the system. I'd actually like to see them draft a goalie for once, one with a huge ceiling but needs a few years to develop because it could pay large dividends in the end. The Flyers as usual well other then the last 2 years will take the best player on the board. In 2012 they took Laughton over a much higher ranked Maata but that pick still looks good and I'm 2013 they took Moron because of his ceiling over Zadarov & Pulok who were safer but wouldn't be as good if Morin is a home run. Where we'll be drafting is a crap shoot but I personally like Thatcher Demko a goalie from Boston College & Jack Dougherty a defenseman from the us developmental program they're currently ranked 30 & 31 so I'll just assume you all know what I'm thinking. :nod:

Last edited by a moderator:

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The River Hawks lost yesterday, so their season is over. Folin is now free to negotiate with NHL teams, assuming he doesn't stay in school.

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The River Hawks lost yesterday, so their season is over. Folin is now free to negotiate with NHL teams, assuming he doesn't stay in school.

I'm so excited I wood!!!

A wood stick you sickos..

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This sucks

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This sucks

Wow, I just talked to Ryan who said they didn't even really get that much time with him and his agent. Folin must have made up his mind before. This blows because he could have really been giving a huge role here next season. Now the Flyers need to trade for an impact defense men this offseason unless Morin becomes a beast over night.

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would've like him, but at least he didn't go full Hartzell.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eh, bummer. Damn Minnesota is really turning in to a desirable place to play.

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eh, bummer. Damn Minnesota is really turning in to a desirable place to play.

Have you ever been or played up there? It's a hockey hot spot. The north stars would have never left if their local economy hadn't took such a severe hit. They really pushed to get the Wild there. It's almost like the Toronto of the US as far as hockey fans go (if you can make that kind of comparison). I'm kinda not surprised he ended up there but I am disappointed.