• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Chris Culliver

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Sick has mentioned a few times that he would (ideally?) move Cully to free safety next year. I'm going to come out strongly against that. I realize that keeping Goldson is a long shot (though that would be my ideal), however I REALLY (can't emphasize it enough) like him at CB.

PFF posted an interesting stat about him today. He's averaging 29 snaps in coverage between catches allowed.

I read earlier in the week that opposing QBs have a QB rating of about 14 when throwing to him. I don't know why we would want to move him.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sick has mentioned a few times that he would (ideally?) move Cully to free safety next year. I'm going to come out strongly against that. I realize that keeping Goldson is a long shot (though that would be my ideal), however I REALLY (can't emphasize it enough) like him at CB.

PFF posted an interesting stat about him today. He's averaging 29 snaps in coverage between catches allowed.

I read earlier in the week that opposing QBs have a QB rating of about 14 when throwing to him. I don't know why we would want to move him.

(Assuming you mean keeping Culliver at CB) I completely agree!

shouldakepowens

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's playing great right now I couldn't imagine moving him. I saw the same stat I think it said opposing qbs are 5 for 19 for 26 yards? And the one int

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cully showed promise as a rook and has improved since - just like AD. Culliver is only going to get better at CB. I not sure how we keep Navarro and Dashon but I hope we can.

shouldakepowens

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rogers, Brown, Culliver, and Cox have all looked good I think. I am glad we kept Brown around its definitely paying off.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm with you. For some reason Sickness likes moving our CB's to safety. Remember when he wanted to move Clements to Safety with his huge contract due the following year? Culliver is going to be a very good corner for us and will only allow us to improve our match ups. Hopefully we can keep Goldson around, but if not we have to look elsewhere for a replacement.

Last edited by a moderator:

Golden Spur

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When he was here at Carolina, I always thought Cullys' natural position was safety. But he's looked good at CB for you guys - and 6ft+ corners are the future.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
pick up a safety in free agency if needed.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
(Assuming you mean keeping Culliver at CB) I completely agree!

Yeah, sorry. I stopped halfway through that and came back without reading it. That's very poorly written.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm with you. For some reason Sickness likes moving our CB's to safety. Remember when he wanted to move Clements to Safety with his huge contract due the following year? Culliver is going to be a very good corner for us and will only allow us to improve our match ups. Hopefully we can keep Goldson around, but if not we have to look elsewhere for a replacement.

He wanted to do the same thing with Rumph.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Culliver, but Rogers is covering the #1s, and isn't Brown covering the #2s usually? The stats are impressive, but let's hold judgement a bit. His size, speed, and range would make a stud safety instantly.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I didn't say I wanted him at FS, I said he looks like the best option at this point because Goldson is as good as gone IMO.

I like him at CB too. However, if there's a starting spot open on the roster and Culliver is the 3rd string CB, I say go ahead and just let him start at FS.

Then again, the Niners could draft a FS who might start from day 1.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't say I wanted him at FS, I said he looks like the best option at this point because Goldson is as good as gone IMO.

I like him at CB too. However, if there's a starting spot open on the roster and Culliver is the 3rd string CB, I say go ahead and just let him start at FS.

Then again, the Niners could draft a FS who might start from day 1.

It seems like there was a plethora of Safeties available via the draft and FA this past off season. It would be easier to replace Goldson with a draft pick and/or FA to compete with Spillman. I would prefer to re-sign Goldson, though.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Y'know, 2013 will be Whitner's last year on his contract. He'll be making about 5 million. He'll be 32. What if the Niners cut him and franchised Goldson for 1 more season? Goldson could move to SS, and it would only be a net cost of about 2.5 million. That way, the Niners could have a season to develop some 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th round safety or safeties they like & see if they can find a diamond in the rough while maybe finding a stopgap FS in FA?

Maybe try Quentin Jammer at FS? He'll be 34 next year. Nobody's gonna offer him a long deal IMO.

Thoughts? This is the first offseason idea I've had in a while, and I think I like it.

Last edited by a moderator:

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Y'know, 2013 will be Whitner's last year on his contract. He'll be making about 5 million. He'll be 32. What if the Niners cut him and franchised Goldson for 1 more season? Goldson could move to SS, and it would only be a net cost of about 2.5 million. That way, the Niners could have a season to develop some 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th round safety or safeties they like & see if they can find a diamond in the rough while maybe finding a stopgap FS in FA?

Maybe try Quentin Jammer at FS? He'll be 34 next year. Nobody's gonna offer him a long deal IMO.

Thoughts? This is the first offseason idea I've had in a while, and I think I like it.

I'm not a big fan of converting a 34 year old Corner to safety. I would hope we could find a way to keep Goldson. If not the Safeties in the 2013 draft seem like a good group. I'm not really sure who's going to be available in FA this year. Anybody good?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I'm not a big fan of converting a 34 year old Corner to safety.

Why not? Seems like it happens quite a bit. Players get too slow to play CB, but they have the smarts & instincts needed to play safety. And Jammer's a big corner.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Culliver, but Rogers is covering the #1s, and isn't Brown covering the #2s usually? The stats are impressive, but let's hold judgement a bit. His size, speed, and range would make a stud safety instantly.

I thought Brown was covering the #1s....

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

I was just about to say that. I'm always edgy when I see the dreaded matchup between Cully and the opposing team's # 1 receiver. It gives me bad memories of him getting toast by Marquess Colston. Colston is a pretty damn good receiver but for some reason I am not as afraid per se when I see QBs are throwing bombs at Brown's side of the field. I do not have much confidence in Cully despite what the stats may be revealing. I remember seeing the same stats that some of you are referring to, and I think those numbers are skewed for various reasons. Some of which Clyde has pointed out.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I thought Brown was covering the #1s....

Brown has covered everyone in this planet. Dude is amazing. I don't like his tackling skills, but in terms of pure coverage ability I can't confidently say that there is more than 4 players in the league right now who's better than him at that.

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Tagging Goldson again requires a 20% bump in salary which puts him at $7.44 mil for one year. My thing is that it's a very high salary for a SS. If we tagged him, I'd definitely want to keep him at FS. Don't mind cutting Whitner at the $5 mil. I'd rather have FS locked up and be weaker at SS for a year with a stopgap/cheaper solution. And then keep developing behind both positions.

We could still draft a FS in the 2nd or 3rd to work in for one year before taking over. Maybe even rotate that guy through SS as needed. But I'd want Goldson primarily at FS for our defense.